Show us your happy snaps here
Post a reply

New beast in the stable

Tue May 09, 2006 1:30 pm

Well, the bucket is nearly finished. I'm just waiting for a new flywheel and ignition to arrive.

In the mean time, I've gone and bought something else to race. It's the latest craze over this way with about a dozen blokes now racing them. And, it only costs about an extra 30 bucks per race meet to race the second bike.

It has a slight leak where one of the header pipes joins the motor (not sure if it needs a new gasket or not) and blows just a puff of white smoke when warmed up, but it was a bargain and looks good. :lol:

Not sure the missus is too happy with me having 4 bikes in the shed.
Attachments
rd1.jpg
rd1.jpg (67.85 KiB) Viewed 4093 times
rd2.jpg
rd2.jpg (77.64 KiB) Viewed 4091 times

Tue May 09, 2006 1:40 pm

Well done mate. Should be a rip snorter. You've really caught the racing bug :twisted:

Tue May 09, 2006 2:03 pm

What is it? What was the outlay? How much does it actually cost to race?

I would be up for racing something like that (once I get a car and trailer ofcourse)...

Does anyone else here race something like this?

Tue May 09, 2006 2:30 pm

It's an RD250LC. Basically, an RD250 with a radiator (Liquid Cooled).

There are several good points about them:
- They are 2 stroke (easier to work on the motor if you are a novice mechanic like myself).

- They don't have fairings, so are less expensive to repair when crashed.

- Running costs are lower as they only go through about one set of tyres a year.

They race them in the classic motorcycling class (which are raced right around the country), but as there are a heap of blokes racing them here now, they've kind of made a seperate class for them.

I picked the bike up for $1200. I'll probably spend a couple of hundred freshening the old girl up. Some guys have taken the lights off and raced them, others have gone the whole hog and removed the oil pump, the kick start, rebuilt the engine, drill holes in everything to reduce weight etc etc. All depends on the rules for racing historics in your neck of the woods.

To race costs anywhere between $120 to $200 a meet.

Plus you'll need to join a club and get a race licence from MA.

Tue May 09, 2006 2:34 pm

Single pot single disk front, drum rear and very little engine braking...hoooboy you're gonna have fun pulling that up at the corners :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

...should be fun though :twisted:

Tue May 09, 2006 3:38 pm

aardvark wrote:Plus you'll need to join a club and get a race licence from MA.

Sorry about all the questions....

What is a race license? What do you need to do to get one? Do you sit a test? Do you have to do a lap at a certain speed?

Tue May 09, 2006 4:12 pm

Stereo wrote:
aardvark wrote:Plus you'll need to join a club and get a race licence from MA.

Sorry about all the questions....

What is a race license? What do you need to do to get one? Do you sit a test? Do you have to do a lap at a certain speed?

http://www.ma.org.au/Content/MA/AboutUs ... ult573.htm

Tue May 09, 2006 5:55 pm

Nice pick up Jase, looking forward to seeing you punt her around

Tue May 09, 2006 6:19 pm

Mate those things are great , they were the ducks guts when they came out , just after I had started riding .

Have Fun , and find me a 350 mmmm fun

Re: New beast in the stable

Tue May 09, 2006 6:23 pm

aardvark wrote:

Well I supose that dont leave room for the Red and White number that I was gonna go halves with ya :cry:

Tue May 09, 2006 6:28 pm

the kid wrote: , they were the ducks guts when they came out , just after I had started riding .

bloody hell is it prehistoric???? :wink:

Tue May 09, 2006 6:48 pm

recycled wrote:
the kid wrote: , they were the ducks guts when they came out , just after I had started riding .

bloody hell is it prehistoric???? :wink:

Things were tuff in MY day lad , had to kick start motorcycle , only 'ad drum brake on back an Keiff Richards adn't started smokin yet . Taught young Barry how ride bicycle so could deliver paper to save penny for new RG . Showed Mike how to count to 6 so could buy enuf sparking plugs .

Ey you younguns got it easy now :evil:

Re: New beast in the stable

Tue May 09, 2006 7:09 pm

the kid wrote:
aardvark wrote:

Well I supose that dont leave room for the Red and White number that I was gonna go halves with ya :cry:

I can always kick the car out into the driveway! :lol:

Tue May 09, 2006 7:43 pm

Nice one jase ......i'm sure you'll have a ball on the ole 2 smoker. :)

Tue May 09, 2006 8:33 pm

very nice :)
Post a reply