Kawasaki WSB / WSS - Valencia

Kawasaki Racing, Development & Testing

Kawasaki WSB / WSS - Valencia

Postby MadKaw » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:23 am

Speed Of Sunlight The Aim For Kawasaki Duo
WSBK, Valencia, Spain, 30 March 2009
A return to Europe and Valencia for the third round of the WSB Championship sees Broc Parkes and Makoto Tamada hoping track conditions will mirror those that graced a recent test session. Although Tamada was still recuperating from a big warm-up crash at the previous round in Qatar when the recent Valencia test took place, his team-mate Parkes made steps in the right direction to maximise the race-long abilities of his WSB-Spec Ninja ZX-10R.

Tamada will also benefit from Parkes’testing experiences, of course, despite missing out on useful track time around the 4.005km Spanish circuit. Makoto knows the track layout very well in any case, after many years of MotoGP racing and his ‘rookie’ WSB season in Kawasaki Superbike colours in 2008. Makoto will be out to repeat or better last year’s top ten finish at Valencia, when he was ninth in race one.

The last race at Losail in Qatar marked Broc’s 50th race start in the WSB class, but after spending the last few years in World Supersport this will only be Parkes’ third meeting as a Kawasaki factory Superbike rider.

Once more the official Ninja ZX-10R-mounted pairing face the prospect of the new-for-2009 three stage Superpole qualifying system, making their immediate goal getting into the top 20 after regulation qualifying, then going for final grid placings in three ‘knockout’ sessions from then on. Thanks to a change in the schedule from this weekend onwards, there will be two afternoon track sessions at Valencia on Friday, one free and one timed.

Broc Parkes: “It's been great to test in Valencia prior to the race next weekend. We've tried and tested so many things and had quite a few positive things to report back. The bike should be better over a race distance but we still have a lot of work to do on set-up. I'm getting more and more comfortable on the bike each time I ride it. We are all working hard, the team and myself, and we're confident that we can aim for some points in the races and being in the top ten would be a bonus.”

Makoto Tamada: “I missed the race at Qatar and also the test last week so I can't wait to get back on the track at Valencia. My injuries were not as bad as I first suspected. I am recovering every day, and I will be ready and fit for the Valencia race. It is my intention to get points at Valencia, and get back what I missed at Qatar.”

---------------------

Lascorz Makes Himself At Home
WSS, Valencia, Spain, 30 March 2009
Spaniard Joan Lascorz approaches his home round at Valencia in good spirits for two good reasons, while memories of past Valencia glories will also be a boost for his team-mate Katsuaki Fujiwara. Last year Lascorz scored his first WSS class victory at Valencia, and after a strong showing in recent tests there, on his continually developing 2009 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R, he is once more aiming high at his home race.

For the more experienced Fujiwara, Valencia has also been a successful venue, with a win in 2003 one of a total of four podium finishes taken by the popular Japanese at this tight and challenging 4.005km circuit.

With their new machine still in its early stages of development this year, the official Kawasaki duo were particularly happy to test the latest range of changes and settings on Wednesday and Thursday last week, in particular the new engine specifications arrived at by Kawasaki Heavy Industries and its technical partner, Akira.

Lascorz's best Valencia testing time improved on last year’s best qualifying pace, while Fujiwara set a time well under his own lap record of 1’37.570, set in the 2007 season. Race simulations during last week’s test also brought about positive results, with each rider consistently inside the 1’37 barrier.

Joan Lascorz: “We tried out a lot of different things during the Valencia test, in the front forks, with the overall chassis geometry and some new engine developments. We still have some work to do but we were able to set fast lap times. We reached a good compromise in our set-up and we were able to try out different tyres as well. We went the wrong way with our set-up at Qatar in the last race weekend because we did not have the chance to test this new bike there before practice. Hopefully our Valencia test will allow us to improve this weekend.”

Katsuaki Fujiwara: “We had a chance to use new engine developments and I prefer one spec of engine, Joan the other one, so now we will work out how to maximise the advantages of both. We also tried out some clutch modifications to reduce rear-end chatter and it helped. The most important thing is that our race simulations were fast and consistent, so hopefully we can find the same conditions on raceday. I like Valencia, it suits my riding style, so I hope we can have a really good result there.”
Dave
2010 Z1000
ex bikes
05 ZX-10R Race Bike - No.77
95 ZXR750R M Race Bike - No. 75
98 ZX9R Race Bike - No. 000
zx6r, zx7r, GPX750, GPX500, lots of KX's.
I ride way too fast to worry about cholesterol
MadKaw
Administrator
Administrator

Bike: ZX10R
State: New South Wales

Re: Kawasaki WSB / WSS - Valencia

Postby hoffy » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:41 am

MadKaw wrote:Once more the official Ninja ZX-10R-mounted pairing face the prospect of the new-for-2009 three stage Superpole qualifying system, making their immediate goal getting into the top 20 after regulation qualifying

Personally I think we are best not to aim too high..top 20 is a big ask :kuda:
hoffy
Team Barge
Team Barge

Bike: Z1000

Postby ZXR750 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:26 am

hoffy wrote:
MadKaw wrote:Once more the official Ninja ZX-10R-mounted pairing face the prospect of the new-for-2009 three stage Superpole qualifying system, making their immediate goal getting into the top 20 after regulation qualifying

Personally I think we are best not to aim too high..top 20 is a big ask :kuda:

Before the season started they were telling any one that would listen that they were taking this year seriously and being the most competitive in years. If that means keeping the back markers honest then mission complete.
Remember, half the people you know are below average.
Bike 93 ZXR750
05 ZRX1200
05 DRZ400
ZXR750
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: ZXR750

Postby mfzx6r » Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:22 am

Lascorz And Fujiwara Earn Front Row Starts For New Ninja ZX-6R
WSS, Valencia, Spain, 4 April 2009
Kawasaki Provec Motocard.com riders Joan Lascorz and Katsuaki Fujiwara each earned a front row start for the Valencia WSS race, with Lascorz second and Fujiwara fourth. Having tested at the 4.005km circuit last week the pairing started race weekend well on the Ninja ZX-6R, and finished practice and the single session of qualifying just as strongly, despite Lascorz suffering a crash, without injury, in the middle of qualifying.

Lascorz had been under the 1’36 mark in Saturday morning’s untimed session and was also the overnight leader, after finishing the lone period of untimed WSS track action on Friday at the head of the 28-rider field.

Fujiwara has also been consistently quick on his ever-improving race machine, securing third place in the first free session on Friday, sixth in this morning’s free session and fourth in the lone qualifying session.

Lascorz was only beaten in the last minutes of the 45-minute qualifying period by Cal Crutchlow, who set a new track best of 1’35.865 to take the front spot on row one. Joan was only 0.168 seconds from taking his first pole position.

Joan Lascorz: “We didn’t make so many changes from this morning to the afternoon and the qualifying session. Really, I thought I would get the pole with my lap time, but Cal went faster. I had a small crash in the middle of the session and that stopped me going for an even faster lap at the end. But our race pace is fast and I feel good on the bike, so I’m ready to race tomorrow.”

Katsuaki Fujiwara: “We found a really good set-up in testing and in practice and made the most of it. In the first two races of the year we had not been able to do so much testing, and that made a difference to our results. Now we have had the chance to make improvements we have definitely made them, and it shows in the lap times. Thanks to everyone in the team because they have worked very well.”

Strong Qualifying From Parkes And The Ninja ZX-10R
WSBK, Valencia, Spain, 4 April 2009
Broc Parkes was in competitive form in qualifying at Valencia, making it through to Superpole 2 and ending up 13th on the final starting grid. After regulation qualifying Parkes was an impressive tenth, only 0.259 seconds from provisional pole, having made the best use of the test sessions the team took part in at Valencia last week. He easily progressed through Superpole 1, then in Superpole 2 he was in the mix again, finishing 13th and starting the races on Sunday from the first place on the fourth row.

Qualifying in general was astonishingly close once again, with Parkes' team-mate Makoto Tamada only 1.321 seconds behind provisional pole, but 24th in the rankings, four places from the cut-off point for Superpole qualification.

Makoto had missed out on last week’s tests due to a previous hip and left big toe injury, left over from a crash in Qatar. His painful toe caused him problems all through practice and qualifying, and ultimately held back his lap times.

Before Superpole, there were 11 riders less than 0.3 seconds from provisional pole in the first European based races of the year, underlining how close the competition is in WSB racing this season.

Broc Parkes: “Two or three tenths and we could have been inside the top eight. The bike is getting a lot easier to do the best times on and we are working better together as a team every time out. Overall, we have been stronger than we were at the flyaway races outside Europe. In the races on Sunday I think our bike will be quite good; it feels like it has improved since Qatar, so we’ll see what happens tomorrow with the grip over full race distance. I am confident in the tyres I intend to use, even if we did try out a different front tyre at one stage; but I don’t think it’s a step forward. For the race we have pretty much chosen our tyres.”

Makoto Tamada: “Today we tried many settings but in the first corner and second corner the engine braking settings were not perfect and I locked the rear a little and slid into the corners. Tomorrow in warm-up we will change the engine set-up to try to improve this. We went in the direction of harder suspension at this track and the feeling was good but we lost a bit of final grip. My toe injury is on my gear-shifting foot and it painful, so painful that it affected my concentration.”
Mario
'01 zx6r
klx300r
If it aint "Lime green" it must be a "Lemon"
Friends dont let friends ride Hondas

The most famous KSRC member of all...
Part of the "Fookarwe" tribe
mfzx6r
KSRC Addict
KSRC Addict

Bike: Other Kawi
State: Victoria

Postby MadKaw » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:29 am

Fujiwara Top Five After Busy Valencia Race
WSS, Valencia, Spain, 5 April 2009
Katsuaki Fujiwara rode from 11th place on lap one to fifth on the final lap to secure his first points of the year and prove the competitiveness of both himself and his 2009 Ninja ZX-6R machine. The Japanese rider was back to his old self this weekend, with the bike and rider feeling the benefits of a recent Valencia test session, as he passed many of his fellow riders after a slow start from the front row. He had qualified fourth, two places behind his team-mate, Joan Lascorz.

The Spaniard, riding in his and his team’s home race, was desperately unlucky to find his rear tyre punctured, having been in the running for the win despite a track surface that started out slightly damp, even though the race direction declared a dry race.

Many riders took it very steadily in the first few corners but Lascorz chased down early leader Michele Pirro to take the lead, then he was passed by eventual race winner Cal Crutchlow. Lascorz finished 19th after pitting to take on a new tyre, hoping in vain to gain at least a single point.

Katsuaki Fujiwara: “Today was much better than before and I am very happy for all in the team. They have worked well and the bike is much improved. I think most of the riders, like me, were quite nervous of the early conditions, and went easy until we realised if it was wet or dry. I had to make up a lot of ground but to finish top five was a good result. We have a much better level of performance as a base now. We are not quite there yet, but we have a good pace now and can compete.”

Joan Lascorz: “I was riding with the leaders but I had to stop as the rear tyre had a puncture. We fitted a new tyre and I went out and set fast laps but we had lost too much time. It’s a big disappointment to lose points in this way because things were looking good for a strong result. It was not our fault and so there was nothing we could do about it.”

----

Parkes and Tamada Score In Spain
WSBK, Valencia, Spain, 5 April 2009
Broc Parkes and Makoto Tamada enjoyed a reward for strong rides in race one at Valencia, with Broc taking a season-best tenth in the first race and Makoto scoring his first points of 2009. In the first race Parkes had been as high up sixth and battled all the way to record a top ten finish after 23-intense laps of action. His team-mate Tamada was in fighting form himself, despite his painful toe injury, going 14th after starting the race from 24th place.

The second race saw each rider find troubles they and their technical crews could not have foreseen, as Parkes lost grip from the front and was not able to match his race one pace. Tamada had problem making gear changes in race two and that was to finally force him to retire in the pits.

Parkes' race one performance took him to 19th in the standings, on eight points, while Makoto now has two points and is ranked 22nd.

Broc Parkes: “Race one was good. We got a good start and got though the first two corners pretty well, in seventh and running with the front guys. I got a bit of a tow for about four or five laps, then started to drop off and a few other guys came past me. Overall our race pace is much better, and we are getting much more confident with the bike. I am remembering how to ride a Superbike! I’m really enjoying myself actually. Thanks to Kawasaki and all the guys in the team because I had a crash on Friday and the team fixed it well, because when I hopped on the bike on Saturday morning it was perfect. Well done to them all. In race two I could not get any feel from the front tyre for some reason and it was a long race. Everyone’s pace was slower in race two it seems, but we were quite a bit off. But we are looking forward to the next races because race one here showed us what is possible.”

Makoto Tamada: “In the first race the result was not so good and yet not so bad, because it was the first time that we got a point. I was sorry to miss the test last week here in Valencia as this put me behind with set up. After the start in race one I pushed hard. We were not so good in braking potential and turning into corners. In race two we changed the settings and braking was good, also turning, and traction was a little better. I lost places at the beginning and had problems making clean gear changes, so we had to come in.”
Dave
2010 Z1000
ex bikes
05 ZX-10R Race Bike - No.77
95 ZXR750R M Race Bike - No. 75
98 ZX9R Race Bike - No. 000
zx6r, zx7r, GPX750, GPX500, lots of KX's.
I ride way too fast to worry about cholesterol
MadKaw
Administrator
Administrator

Bike: ZX10R

Postby red_dave » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:10 pm

Was a shame Lasocrz had the puncture...

:(
red_dave
Team Kuda
Team Kuda

Bike: ZX6R
State: Queensland

Postby Six Addict » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:56 pm

rock on katsuaki!!!

westy managed 2nd!!!!!!!!

and haga pulled away from spies in the SBK... cmon nitro!!!
DUCATI HYPERMOTARD 2014
Six Addict
Pinchy
Pinchy

Bike: Ducati

Return to Kawasaki Racing, Development & Testing