Broc Parks looking good.

Kawasaki Racing, Development & Testing

Broc Parks looking good.

Postby Glen » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:47 pm

Still a second off the pace but at least it's promising

Newcastle's Broc Parkes - A Compelling Case For The 2009 World Superbike Championship

Kawasaki’s recent existence as the Superbike World Championship easy beat may be over, thanks to Australian Broc Parkes.

The 27-year-old from the Hunter Valley has been a big improver in pre-season testing ahead of the opening round at Phillip Island this weekend, signalling that Kawasaki may finally have the goods to consistently push for race wins.

Parkes, returning to world superbike for the first time since 2002, set a best lap of 1:32.9 on his ZX-10R in testing at Phillip Island last week, just over one second behind pacesetter Jonathan Rea (Honda).

The competitive time even surprised Parkes, and it’s given the dual Australian road racing champion cause for heightened optimism ahead of the gruelling 14-round season.

“We had two good days of testing at the Island -- and we needed it because we only had the Portimao (Portugal) test in January beforehand,” said Parkes, a world supersport runner-up in 2004 and 2007. “Kawasaki has been very supportive, and they sent over nine Japanese engineers and technicians to the Phillip Island test to help us get the bike ready for the year.

“I suppose with no team in MotoGP now they are really committed to world superbike and making this team work, so it is great.”

“We still have a bit of work to do, but I was a bit surprised with my time. It is only early days, and in light of the other times posted in recent days, I think we may be more competitive than people think.

“I think running in the top 10 is absolutely possible and I'm ready for a big year.”

After another ignominious year in 2008, Kawasaki embarked on a massive restructure, severing ties with its former Italian team and linking up with the British-based Paul Bird Racing.

The reform package included the signing of Parkes to replace Frenchman Regis Laconi, while Japan’s Makota Tamada, a former MotoGP and world superbike winner, remains as the second rider.

Kawasaki’s last world superbike victory came in 2006, and it’s only title in 1993 with American Scott Russell.

The opening practice session at Phillip Island will be held on Friday, followed by final qualifying and Superpole on Saturday, and two 22-lap races on Sunday.
It's really all about standing around drinking Dave's beer.
2008 ZRX1200 Greeeeen Roadie
2016 KTM Superduke 1290 Oraaaaange
2016 Seadoo RXTX300
Too many toys.......work is getting in the way!!!!
Glen
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZRX
State: New South Wales

Return to Kawasaki Racing, Development & Testing