Vermeulen to Kwaka WSBK in 2010.!!!!

Kawasaki Racing, Development & Testing

Vermeulen to Kwaka WSBK in 2010.!!!!

Postby slojo » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:14 am

http://www.motomatters.com/news/2009/10 ... verme.html

In a surprising, if not shocking move, speedweek.eu is reporting that Chris Vermeulen has made a two-year commitment to Paul Bird Kawasaki to ride the ZX-10 Superbike in the World Superbike series. Vermeulen, who will be replaced by Alvaro Bautista at Rizla Suzuki next year, was rumored to be on every team manager in WSBK's short list of desirable riders, but whispers of serious discussions with Kawasaki had just surfaced a few days ago. The ZX-10 package has been a relatively uncompetitive one but wild-card rides by Jamie Hacking at Salt Lake City and by Sheridan Morais at Kyalami indicated that maybe the hardware wasn't the sole culprit.

With the demise of Kawasaki's MotoGP program it is expected that resources devoted to that effort will be reallocated toward the superbike program with the Vermeulen signing the first visable result. Just who will be pairing with Vermeulen is currently unknown but Sterilgarda Ducati rider Shakey Byrne and soon to be former Sterigarda Yamaha rider Tom Sykes have also been thought to be in discussions with the British team.

UPDATE

Further information has surfaced on the Speedtv site that clarifies the state of negotiations between Chris Vermeulen and Paul Bird Kawasaki.

According to Vermeulen, "The Kawasaki deal looks good, we've spoken about a lot details and how it would work and agreed on the money, and it is for two years," he added. "The main goal would be to win the championship in 2011 on the new bike but that is not to say we would not be trying to do it next year. Kawasaki have a really good plan.

"I am told Yoda is coming to Estoril for a meeting and that's when I expect to see the final paperwork. We have agreed on how a lot of things would work in the team but I actually haven't signed a contract yet."

While Vermeulen is being understandably reluctant to commit publicly that the deal is done, Kawasaki European Race Planning Manager Steve Guttridge is not being nearly as coy: “Everything is looking good and we expect to be able announce a confirmation this week. We’ve spent time with Chris’ manager and as far as we are all concerned Chris is 100% happy with the deal and he’s ready to sign. He’s spoken to Yoda-san and has been convinced about the strength of the package."

Although Vermeulen has also had discussions with Aprilia and Pramac Ducati, it is considered unlikely that he will sign with either team. Whatever happens, Vermeulen says that he hopes to be able to make an announcement this weekend.
slojo
Warming up
Warming up

Bike: ZX6R
State: New South Wales

Re: CV to Kwaka WSBK in 2010?

Postby MadKaw » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:17 am

Fantastic news, lets hope its true.!
Dave
2010 Z1000
ex bikes
05 ZX-10R Race Bike - No.77
95 ZXR750R M Race Bike - No. 75
98 ZX9R Race Bike - No. 000
zx6r, zx7r, GPX750, GPX500, lots of KX's.
I ride way too fast to worry about cholesterol
MadKaw
Administrator
Administrator

Bike: ZX10R

Postby Wattie » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:18 am

fark yeah, i hope so! :kuda:
Wattie #55
ZX10R "The Crim"
ZX10R "Gumby"
Proudly Supported by Allfixed Automotive 9634 1455
sam & srt, survived
RGM, left a message
Wattie
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby Wattie » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:18 am

our bucket hats will be sought after!
Wattie #55
ZX10R "The Crim"
ZX10R "Gumby"
Proudly Supported by Allfixed Automotive 9634 1455
sam & srt, survived
RGM, left a message
Wattie
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby red_dave » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:23 am

Fark Yeah!!! :kuda: :kuda: :kuda:
red_dave
Team Kuda
Team Kuda

State: Queensland

Postby Glen » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:38 am

Awesome. Something to cheer for hopefully
It's really all about standing around drinking Dave's beer.
2008 ZRX1200 Greeeeen Roadie
2016 KTM Superduke 1290 Oraaaaange
2016 Seadoo RXTX300
Too many toys.......work is getting in the way!!!!
Glen
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZRX

Postby Strika » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:08 am

If it happens it could show either of two things. Either that Vermuelin is a bike riding freak who can make a shopping trolley turn a corner, or that the ZX10 isn't such a shitbox after all!! :lol: I hope it goes forward from here and that Chris sets the series alight next year!! :)
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me" Hunter S. Thompson.
There are really only two questions in life. 1.Which way do i go? 2.What is the lap record?
Strika
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: Yamaha
State: Victoria

Postby triway » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:24 pm

He's gonna need Yoda, Luke, OB1, Darth and the entire forces of good and evil combined................

Will be great for Kawasaki Aus sales and marketing though!
www.techspec-aus.com.au
www.trackdaypro.com.au
triway
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: Other Kawi
State: Victoria

Postby Six Addict » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:50 pm

:partyman: new_bdaysmile.gif occasion18.gif hat18.gif

only one thing better than someone riding a kawasaki and thats an aussie riding a kawasaki :kuda:
DUCATI HYPERMOTARD 2014
Six Addict
Pinchy
Pinchy

Bike: Ducati

Postby MadKaw » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:59 pm

Six Addict wrote::partyman: new_bdaysmile.gif occasion18.gif hat18.gif

only one thing better than someone riding a kawasaki and thats an aussie riding a kawasaki :kuda:

We already have that... :shock:
Dave
2010 Z1000
ex bikes
MadKaw
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Six Addict » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:00 pm

yeah but sounds like he'll be getting the arse, or is CV joining a different kawasaki team?? :?
DUCATI HYPERMOTARD 2014
Six Addict
Pinchy
Pinchy

Bike: Ducati

Postby StuMiller » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:01 pm

Huge for Kawasaki, should give a great deal more exposure to the best brand in the land!!

Go hard Chris!!

:D
2007 ZX6 - Road bike
StuMiller
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

State: Tasmania

Postby fireyrob » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:36 pm

Woohoo :kuda:
09 ZX6R
03 Zthou
fireyrob
KSRC Addict
KSRC Addict

Bike: Z1000

Postby laidback » Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:03 pm

If you wore yellow glasses would that make him and bike look green already? :kuda:
Roady - ZRX1200R
Tracky - ZX9R F1 Team Jerry Atric

I've reached the age where 'happy hour' is a nap.
laidback
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZRX

Postby MadKaw » Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:07 pm

Chris Vermeulen's future is turning green with Kawasaki ready to sign a contract with him to join a rejuvenated factory squad on a two-year deal in the Superbike World Championship. The Australian rider now looks set to join Briton James Toseland back in WSBK in 2010.

Vermeulen will complete his final four MotoGP races with the Suzuki team commencing at the Portuguese GP at Estoril this weekend where he is expected to agree final terms that will make him #1 rider for Kawasaki's Superbike program.
/>
The Australian has been briefed in detail on Kawasaki's plans by factory race boss Ichiro Yoda, the former Yamaha and Kawasaki MotoGP project leader, who will head the SBK project for the Green Team.

Vermeulen has also been linked to Aprilia and Yamaha in WSBK and the Pramac Ducati squad in MotoGP.

He is planning to put pen to paper before Sunday's race at Estoril with the Yamaha WSBK lineup now confirmed as Toseland and Cal Crutchlow.

"I'm very interested in the Kawasaki program especially on the technical front; I know they are going to take World SBK very seriously and if it all happens then I would be involved in the development of the new bike which is planned for 2011, although I hear it might be up and running before that," Vermeulen said.

Kawasaki will run their current bike into next season as they work on an all-new bike for 2011, hence the firm offer of a two-year deal to Vermeulen.

"The Kawasaki deal looks good, we've spoken about a lot details and how it would work and agreed on the money, and it is for two years," he added. "The main goal would be to win the championship in 2011 on the new bike but that is not to say we would not be trying to do it next year. Kawasaki have a really good plan.

"I am told Yoda is coming to Estoril for a meeting and that's when I expect to see the final paperwork. We have agreed on how a lot of things would work in the team but I actually haven't signed a contract yet."

However Kawasaki appear convinced only the formalities remain with Vermeulen who is Suzuki's only race winner in the modern, 4-stroke era of MotoGP with his victory at Le Mans in 2007. Otherwise it has been a hugely disappointing period for Suzuki with Vermeulen keen go racing
in a series with a team that can challenge for the podium.

“Everything is looking good and we expect to be able announce a confirmation this week," said Steve Guttridge who is Kawasaki's European Race Planning Manager.

"We’ve spent time with Chris’ manager and as far as we are all concerned Chris is 100% happy with the deal and he’s ready to sign. He’s spoken to Yoda-san and has been convinced about the strength of the package.

"It’s a two-year deal and with the technical knowledge we are bringing from MotoGP we are looking forward to some strong development.”

Vermeulen watched last weekend's Imola races from his Sunshine Coast home (in Australia) last Sunday night before heading out to Portugal. He took a keen interest in the performance of 250cc GP star Marco Simoncelli who finished third in race two ahead of Aprilia teammate Max Biaggi although it is the Kawasaki project that has his interest.

"Kawasaki will be upgrading the engineering support for the SBK project and there will be a lot of work on the engine and power delivery, and getting that smoother so that it works better with the Pirelli control tires," Vermeulen said.

"But I've also had some interest from Yamaha and Aprilia plus Pramac Ducati in MotoGP but I hope to sign a new contract before the race in Estoril on Sunday."

While Aprilia talks were encouraging the downside of joining the Italian factory is the hardcore politics traditionally used by Biaggi to dominate the team.

Vermeulen
has also been on a long list of potential riders for Pramac Ducati, however that deal would be unlikely to satisfy his competitive desires after the recent frustrations of riding an uncompetitive Suzuki in MotoGP.

Kawasaki are talking with Shane Byrne and Tom Sykes about the second seat in the team and the future of Aussie Broc Parkes remains unclear unless he has some strong late season results.

Guttridge said, "We're willing Broc to have some good results at the next two rounds. We feel he has worked hard and ridden well this year and we would like to keep him."
Dave
2010 Z1000
ex bikes
MadKaw
Administrator
Administrator

Next

Return to Kawasaki Racing, Development & Testing