Slowing down

For general Technical and Performance Discussions

re: Slowing down

Postby Blackzxr » Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:49 pm

Pretty much everyone has covered this and yes there are so many variations. It's like anything, you develop bad habits over the years. I think this is covered in *yawn* "A twist of the Wrist" and most of it was covered when you did your licenses.

*You should be in a gear that matches the speed your doing.
*You shouldn't use the engine to slow you down. Increase wear and tear on the engine.
*You should be in 1st when you come to a stop. Rather than trying to find first, under a panic situation.
*You should always have your brake applied whilst stationary.
Ah now the bad habits 8)
*I do the cool down shift, no clutch, no hands jobby. Hehehe
*When I'm riding hard I down shift, whilst braking, using the engine to slow me down.
*Sit at the lights with no hands, not in gear, no brake, checking out the world.

Or you can do what Dan did leaving my work yesterday.

Pop a wheelie up the street, drop it down hitting the rev limiter, braking with a compression lock up at the end of the street. :lol:

NB: Just seen the bit about no clutch, down shifting. You can do it, but i wouldn't do it all the time. I use the clutch to down shift, but none for up shifting. (Sometimes i do to up shift, with pillion, or in traffic)
Rob

Black 03 ZX6R
BA XR6T

I used to have a handle on reality, but it broke.
Blackzxr
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Re: re: Slowing down

Postby ty » Wed Oct 20, 2004 3:50 pm

Colettezzr600 wrote:So, does that mean you can gear down without using the clutch? I didn't know that...

I don't think the ZZR's like it too much - clutchless up is fine, not down - at least mine doesn't.
Has a nasty BANG sound that I don't like too much - so I only do it by accident now :oops:
ty
If you have no fear, you're not going fast enough.
Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level, then beat you with experience.
ty
Team Ninja

Bike: Honda
State: New South Wales

Postby Smitty » Wed Oct 20, 2004 4:29 pm

Colettezzr600 wrote:So, does that mean you can gear down without using the clutch? I didn't know that...

Colette
try it some time
quiet street, car park whatever outta the way
try going up a gear firstly
say 2-3 or 3-4
back off the throttle a tad, kick lever up, it should pop into the next gear
once happy and confidant with that
try going down a gear
the trick is to bring the engine revs up as you go down a gear
so the lower gear slots in ..and you don't lock the back wheel
just takes practice....

cheers
GOTTA LUV the 12R!!
Smitty
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX12R
State: Victoria

Postby Smitty » Wed Oct 20, 2004 4:34 pm

Sometimes I roll up to the lights at whatever speed I'm doing and when I get there I pull the clutch in and grab a handful of front brake and let the rear wheel dangle in the breeze.

If I can see that the lights are about to turn green and I can see there is a school bus on the road about to get the red light, then I'll slow down to second and clutch it up through the intersection. (Also good for impressing other bike riders coming the other way, or for pedestrians waiting at the lights).

and this person upholds our traffic rules.....??? :twisted:
c'mon Jase.... :lol: :lol:
GOTTA LUV the 12R!!
Smitty
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX12R

Postby aardvark » Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:21 am

Smitty1955 wrote:and this person upholds our traffic rules.....??? :twisted:
c'mon Jase.... :lol: :lol:

Who the hell has been on my computer???? :roll:
aardvark
Apprentice Post Whore :-)
Apprentice Post Whore :-)

Bike: Yamaha
State: South Australia

Postby Nanna10r » Fri Oct 22, 2004 5:32 pm

My general Technique is pretty similar to most above, but depending on weather Im lane splitting or not.
If i am lane splitting its very Effecient and Cautious as I a lot of noise Blip downshifting with the clutch until i get to the front. Stopping just in front of both cars, Right foot down, !st gear engaged watching the lights that are green as they change to orange then red, count 1 hippo, 2 hippo, 3 hippo, Grab a small handful, left & right traffic checks for the boneheads running the red lights an launch to 70kms pick up 3rd gear, shoulder check, indicate n move to the left lane n appropriate speed.
If Im not going to lane split (i wont lane split moving traffic) i usually slow up sooner and select First gear 30m back and daudle or clutch it to the line to avoid putting my feet down.
Only time i select nuetral is for a hill start to get both feet down, then i rock the scoot from side to side depending on which foot i need on the bike.
The Safest place for any vehicle is 300m behind you or further.
Cheers Brett
"Nan & Pop Racing"
Poppy Hops on .... CBR150 (Superlite) CBR954 "Blade"
Nanna Naps on .... MoriWAKI NSR85 (Motolite) ZX10R "Crim"
We may ride like Old Can'ts, But Phuk we look DOOG !!!!!!
Nanna10r
Team Ninja

Bike: ZX10R
State: Queensland

Postby Cath » Fri Oct 22, 2004 7:34 pm

I engine brake, ride the clutch to avoid putting my foot down, and when stopped do not use brakes, unless on an incline.

Reading this thread has made me realise how sloppy a rider I am!
Cath
KSRC Addict
KSRC Addict

Bike: ZX10R
State: New South Wales

Postby FoxyZX6R » Tue Oct 26, 2004 10:21 am

yeah, im with smitty too, down change as u slow down then u can floor it if the light turns green and no ones in font of you :D
FoxyZX6R
Team ZZR

Bike: ZX6R

Postby Quarkz » Tue Oct 26, 2004 11:13 am

I down change as I come up to the lights using my engine braking to slow me down, usually go down the last 2 gears into 1st as I am putting my foot down (Always left to cover my brake with right), brake, stop, sit there, look around, avoid eye contact, then you casually drive away when the lights change (The casually differs on what modd Im in) If Im lane splitting, which I don't do very often I will go through the traffic with my clutch fully in blipping it so people know Im coming, with my full beams. I'm always in first while lane splitting to make a quick ass getaway if needed.

I never change into neutral at lights unless I know it's gonna take a while or if I'm hot and need to lift my jacket and fan myself (That sounds very aherm) But I can't reach two feet on the ground at once so I don't do it often cos I don't have my arms to help my toes on my left foot to balance me. Oh woe.
Kylie
---
2013 Kawasaki ZX636 / 2004 Kawasaki ZX636 / 1999 Aprilia RS250
Quarkz
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby red_dave » Tue Oct 26, 2004 10:25 pm

I down shift, using the clutch, as I brake and usually use more front brake than rear. I am trying to get in the habit of using more rear brake and balance the whole slowing down process evenly between engine braking and normal braking.

If I decide to ride to work, it's rare that I need to stop anyway...
red_dave
Team Kuda
Team Kuda

Postby Neka79 » Tue Oct 26, 2004 11:38 pm

i ussually just fall off and let the engine covers slow the bike down....
or if im still on the bike, i downchange thru the gears, blipping the throttle to keep my revs up, so i can nail it at any time if i need to...i often sit at the lights with my right foot covering the brake, arms crossed across my chest, and only myleft foot on the ground, im not that tall either, so i have half my ass hanging off the side of the seat...this is irrelevant i kno, but geez i look cool doin it!! (except the few times ive lost my footing an nearly fallen ass up..or wen ur pillion moves her fat ass & u nearly over balance...
Neka
2006 Zeddy 1000
1996 VS series 2 S pak Ute
Neka79
Extreme Post Whore :-)
Extreme Post Whore :-)

Bike: Z900
State: South Australia

Previous

Return to General Tech & Performance Talk