How to Modify (Shorten) your Akrapovic Muffler Can !!

For general Technical and Performance Discussions

How to Modify (Shorten) your Akrapovic Muffler Can !!

Postby Maccarocks » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:17 pm

Hi all,

Well most of you would know that I am an exhaust addict.. I love playing with different exhausts, building them up, modifying them and testing them out.. all in search of the perfect performance, look, and sound.. :roll: Yeah I know I talk a lot of shite.. but still I love doing it... ;)

Anyway, I am in the process of setting up a good new exhaust for the 2011 ZX10R.. just a spare, but it might make it's way on to the road bike for a while.. I am running the 3/4 Yoshi systems (with the water slide mid pipe) on both my track and road bikes at the moment... the trackie sounds fantastic and the power is smooth and linear from low down right up to redline.. basically it's running perfect and I am smashing my PB's at the island on it, so that one is staying set up as it is.. it's a perfect match and the bike set up, suspension, gearing and all is set.. so that one is all locked in at the moment..

So the road bike has the exact same system, but it is a bit too barky for the road, and especially with a pillion, it can get a bit too drony at that crusing rev range... I am having to run it with the DB reducer fitted all the time now.. :cry: It really soaks up all the exhaust noise and also sucks a bit of power as well... so I decided to grab that Akrapovic muffler of Mick and have a play...

Now I knew the standard Akrapovic can was going to be way too long for my model ZX10, (over 520mm in length) so I have cut it down to a more reasonable length that is aesthetically pleasing to look at, (cut off 120mm to make it a totla length of 400mm) but also is an extra 100mm longer than the shorter Yoshi can.. it has come up a treat.. (this is not the first time I have cut down a muffler though) The titanium sleeve and carbon tip look hot.. I cant wait to fit it up for the test.. So here are the 'cutting up - shortening - rebuilding' pics for you. If you have never cut down a muffler before, dont be scared, it is quite easy, a bit fiddly with the re-packing, but with the right tools it will go back together just like a new one...

Pics of it fitted to the bike will come later.. I just have to make up a small adaptor sleeve to go inside the Akrapovic inlet to make it a tiny bit smaller so it will fit perfectly to the Yoshi mid pipe... So it will be a complete mix of Kawasaki Headers into Yoshi Mid Pipe into Akrapovic Titanium can... :shock: Yeah a real mix up, but it's going to look and sound awesome, I can tell already.. ;) I also have the carbon 'M4' pipe I have as a spare, but I might sell that one to a lucky KSRC Forum member.. ;)

Macca :kuda:
Attachments
Akrapovic_1.jpg
Front section, rear 120mm cut off...
Akrapovic_1.jpg (64.35 KiB) Viewed 1096 times
Akrapovic_2.jpg
Rear section with heaps of packing hanging out...
Akrapovic_2.jpg (59.9 KiB) Viewed 1096 times
Akrapovic_3.jpg
All re-packed and back together ready for pop riveting...
Akrapovic_3.jpg (59.42 KiB) Viewed 1096 times
Akrapovic_4.jpg
The finished product, like a new one, just needs a little more polishing...
Akrapovic_4.jpg (63.4 KiB) Viewed 1096 times
Maccarocks
16' - Z1000 (Road)
Too many other bikes to fit in here !!
Maccarocks
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: ZX10R
State: Victoria

Re: How to Modify (Shorten) your Akrapovic Muffler Can !!

Postby Jonnymac » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:32 pm

Been busy champ...looks good
Jonnymac
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: ZX6R
State: Victoria

Re: How to Modify (Shorten) your Akrapovic Muffler Can !!

Postby MickLC » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:24 am

That's a good length for it :kuda: I'd always planned on chopping it down a bit but never got around to it
'13 Z1000, '76 Z650+,'91 KLR250, '95 ZX6R Racebike
MickLC
Team Crim

Bike: Z1000
State: ACT

Return to General Tech & Performance Talk