1996 zx9r cam chain

For general Technical and Performance Discussions

1996 zx9r cam chain

Postby smiley_w » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:58 am

ok....here is my next project as a newbie.

nice little chain rattle sound more likely the cam chain from what I have read. I have since replaced my auto tensioner, that had failed, with a APE manual unit but I think the chain is either worn or skiped a tooth because of the failed tensioner. The bike runs a little rough and there is a utube video about a zx9r skipping a tooth and the rattle sound is nealy the same as mine. the guy adjusted by one tooth and bike was as good as gold.

Question::- first stage is to make sure TDC.....remove valve cover........back out manual tensioner.........look at the markings on the top 2 cams

at this stage if the chain had indeed skiped a tooth is it as simple as lift the chain and fix the timing?

if the chain has indeed gone south is it as easy as dropping the old chain off the cams and feed it through to either top or bottom and place a new one back on

thanks

Smiley :D
smiley_w

Bike: ZX9R
State: New South Wales

Re: 1996 zx9r cam chain

Postby Daisy » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:37 pm

smiley_w wrote:if the chain has indeed gone south is it as easy as dropping the old chain off the cams and feed it through to either top or bottom and place a new one back on

If you can get one with a joining link, yes. Endless chain requires the case to be split.
dutchy wrote:White bikes are awesome :grin:
Daisy
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: GTR
State: South Australia

Return to General Tech & Performance Talk