Engine rebuild or replacement engine??

For general Technical and Performance Discussions

Engine rebuild or replacement engine??

Postby Goggles5122 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:41 am

Hi guys my project zx7r P1 is coming along nicely and I'm up to the engine which I can go a few ways with, I am thinking of rebuilding my original engine myself using the Haynes and clymer manuals as guides, I'm not a mechanic and never done anything so involved so not overly confident but still would like to give it a go. I was also thinking of using the wiseco 779cc piston kit any one ever used these or have an opinion?, I have been quoted maybe upto $3000 for a mechanic to rebuild and that's above my budget so I was thinking I would do everything except the head ( leave that to the mechanic) but after quoting all the parts I need eg main bearings, pistons, gaskets etc its right up there also, is there a rebuild kit i can get from the states or something?? i was going to order majority of the parts from mrcycles.com. So my main point in posting this is to get opinions on whether I should just rebuild it myself, have the mechanic do it, or buy a second hand engine?? Also with a second hand engine what would I expect to pay for a good condition engine, best place to source one ( I'm located on the central coast NSW).

I currently have 2 engines both I have disassembled and if rebuilding myself would be the better option I do have a few mates that are car mechanics that are willing to give me a hand.

Still kinda new here, I've also posted this in model specific older bike section, hope this is allowed just wanting to get all opinions
Goggles5122

Bike: ZX7R
State: New South Wales

Re: Engine rebuild or replacement engine??

Postby JimZXR » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:10 am

You should be able to source a second hand motor for around the $2K mark from either Metropolitan or Victorian MCW!
Road, Sky, Road, Sky, Road..... Ambulance

1993 ZXR750 Track Bike
1994 ZXR750 Ongoing project
JimZXR
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: ZXR750

Postby born green » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:32 pm

JimZXR wrote:You should be able to source a second hand motor for around the $2K mark from either Metropolitan or Victorian MCW!

fark, for 3,500 u can have my 96 7R, all original, and runs quiet a ok , rape the engine, and have everything else for spares :)
96 ZX7R roady
07 ZX10R tracky. to many mods to list here!
95 tickford XR6,
SO MANY KAWASAKI'S SO LITTLE TIME
born green
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: ZX10R
State: Victoria

Postby Gosling1 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:10 pm

JimZXR wrote:.....You should be able to source a second hand motor for around the $2K mark from either Metropolitan or Victorian MCW!.....

well that is always an option, but these motors have a completely unknown history in most cases, and wreckers have never bullshitted about the condition of 2nd-hand motors they sell..... :roll:

Goggles - rebuilding a motor is pretty complex. You will have to farm out a lot of the machining anyway - and there are a lot of close tolerances that you need to ensure are right. Would you be confident in setting ring-end gaps ? What about checking piston-bore clearances ? Valve clearances ? Valve-to-piston clearances ? Do you have all the right tools to pull a motor apart and rebuild it ? It's not rocket science and the manuals will help but they are the most basic guidance you can get. They often gloss over complex sections......

Up to you in the end. Good luck :kuda:
".....shut the gate on this one Maxie......it's the ducks guts !!............."
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Bike: Z900
State: ACT

Postby Goggles5122 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:46 pm

Gosling1 precisely the reason I am not too keen on buying from a wrecker, but no not confident withe the jobs you have listed, any thing to do with valves I was going to get my mechanic to do, and yes the manuals make it seem quite easy,if I do buy a second hand engine ill probably over a very long time frame rebuild my other one and use it to learn what I'm doing and find out exactly what tools I need.
Goggles5122

Postby dutchy » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:23 pm

I've got an engine here. It's in one piece, was running when removed, has done approx 70,000k's, but I'll sell it a hell of a lot cheaper than 2k :grin:
I plan on living forever..............so far so good!!
Self appointed official poon-tang image supplier to KSRC
2010 KSRC MotoGP tipping champion

1998 ZX7R
1982 GPZ 550
dutchy
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

State: Victoria

Return to General Tech & Performance Talk