carbon buildup

For general Technical and Performance Discussions

carbon buildup

Postby mick12 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:46 pm

Today i pretty much striped the 12 to give it a good clean ,inspection & service .After removing the aibox covers to check how clean stuff was in there,I opend the throttle and noticed carbon buildup on the back of the valves. The bike is a 2001 model with only 41k . It doesnt smoke and goes like a scalded cat and has no probs with preformance Would the valve seals need replacing or shimms need doing or maybe something simple any ides.I cant recall seeing this kind of crap on a bike with so few k's. :-?
If it aint broke don't fix it just gain more horsepower
mick12
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ZX12R
State: Queensland

Re: carbon buildup

Postby Zedex 6 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:12 pm

Possible that your running a little tight on the valve clearances. Adjust them and open the slides and give it a hit of Subaru top end cleaner, let it soak for a bit and start her and give it fang around block, she 'll be alright after that.
Zedex 6
Warming up
Warming up

Bike: ZX6R
State: New South Wales

Re: carbon buildup

Postby Gosling1 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:17 pm

unless there is a shitload of carbon build-up - I wouldn't be bothered doing anything. You get some carbon deposits just from normal running, it doesn't mean much at all really. I doubt that cleaning it off the back of the inlet valves is going to make any difference whatsoever to performance ....

8)
".....shut the gate on this one Maxie......it's the ducks guts !!............."
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Bike: Z900
State: ACT

Return to General Tech & Performance Talk