zx9r rattle

For general Technical and Performance Discussions

zx9r rattle

Postby smiley_w » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:11 am

ok my zx9 project is going fine with the body and exterior bit pretty much done...but...I have this rattle.

now the bike had been sitting for about 6 month before I had bought it so the normal fluid changers, oil and brakes alike done...ran some carbi cleaner through and now she idle and reves fine.

First though for the rattle was the CCT so I pulled that out to look and looks ok to me but a little worried about the spring inside not strong enough.
I have bought a manual APE CCT Tensioner which will arrive anyday. I have read how to set them up and all and am hoping that is what it is.....but

is there other things to look out for because the bike had been sitting for so long. if the valve clearences need doing would the bike have a chain sound rattle.
the sound is like a slap of a chain mainly from the right side (hence the CCT change)

the sound is there cold and also warmed up mainly under 2000rpm and does sound like a loud ticking when riding. no smoke at all out the back but I had to add 2 litres of oil when first starting the bike when I got it. complete oil change has been done now

sorry just a noob with a new toy

Smiley

:D
smiley_w

Bike: ZX9R
State: New South Wales

Re: zx9r rattle

Postby greenmeanie » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:37 pm

Old kwaka that rattles......hmmm sounds normal. :lol:
If it was mine i'd just give it a good going over...change engine oil & filter, brake fluid, checks pads/brake lines, change fork oil, new spark plugs, air filter. If it is running fine that is ok otherwise a carb tune & balance. A new set of tyres if needed ? Then just give it a good thrash! :twisted: :kuda:
Glenn
2009 ZX10R
greenmeanie
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: ZX10R
State: Queensland

Postby nickjt » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:30 am

I had a 95 9r, with 35000k on it when i bought it.... it too had a rattle.... i wasnt all that concerned about it. as above stated "old kwakka rattles" sounds normal.
Next time i saw my kwakka guru mate and had him listen and look at it, he said, "don't worry about it. It sounds like the starter clutch......could be same for you???
nickjt

Bike: ZX12R
State: Overseas

Postby rod185651 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:40 am

I had a similar rattle on my 96 9R then eventually the starter clutch completely went. Luckily happened while trying to start the bike in the garage. Usually other signs will appear if the starter clutch is on way out. Issue with the starter clutche on the B models is that you have break open the engine to replace. (Unless someone knows an easier way?)
rod185651
Warming up
Warming up

Postby Gav » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:35 pm

G'day....Change the tensioner mate. It's the answer. Don't let looks decieve you.
Gav
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: Don't have one

Postby smiley_w » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:50 pm

ended up being a broken auto tensioner for the altenator chain behind the clutch basket. chain was as loose as.
I did change the Cam Chain auto tensioner to a APE manual one just in case....lol!! :D

Smiley
smiley_w

Return to General Tech & Performance Talk