zx7r troubleshooting starter circuit system

For general Technical and Performance Discussions

zx7r troubleshooting starter circuit system

Postby HarryWylde » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:42 pm

Hey there people,

I am writing to ask for somebody;s help please.

I have a very frustrating 7x7r 97 model which constantly has starter issues.

Sometimes the lights (safety) wont come on when I turn the key, so i have t turn it off and on again before it does. Simply turning the key off and on will sometimes lead it to fix itself????

Then once it's all lit up, sometimes it won't turn over and I have gotten around this in the past by tapping the junction box, or just leaping onto the seat to create the same "bash".

These issues were going well for a while but I recently spend 6 months overseas, same back, and it was dead dead. I charged the battery back up but can only get in to 10.7 volts now. I feel like there is something in the circuit draining the battery.

I put the amp meter in series at the end of the circuit to see if there are any great drains on the circuit when all is switched off but there don't seem to be.

I think all the components are fine because it can start if I use a car battery (which I have been using to troubleshoot before I go and buy another battery for the bike to root again).

All fuses are good, solenoid seems good, I mean, it starts, so these components must be good right?

But something is making the connection cut out at times and possibly draining my battery??? I'm suspecting either the key switch or the clutch (if these have some sort of safeties that may be doing this??) It has no kick stand switch.

Basically, if anyone could give me advice on how to go about using a voltmeter to troubleshoot these switches or any other troubleshooting advice it would be much appreciated.

I just want to get her running well and then I'll probably sell her.
HarryWylde

Bike: ZX7R
State: Victoria

Re: zx7r troubleshooting starter circuit system

Postby JimZXR » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:14 pm

Of your meter has a "circuit buzzer", disconnect the starter switch module from the loom, connect the meter leads to the starter tabs on the modules electrical connections then hit the starter, it'll buzz if there's a circuit.

If you can only get 10 or so volts in the battery straight after charging I'd say its cactus and needs replacing anyway.
Road, Sky, Road, Sky, Road..... Ambulance

1993 ZXR750 Track Bike
1994 ZXR750 Ongoing project
JimZXR
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: ZXR750
State: New South Wales

Return to General Tech & Performance Talk