For general Technical and Performance Discussions
Post a reply

Re: kawasaki throttle body fucked

Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:13 am

Apparently it's not the TPS this time, either way I'm pretty annoyed about the fact I bought a Lemmon, I got it because I thought the z750 was reliable motor, oh well shit happens

Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:39 am

Got conformation that my bikes secondary throttle actuator in the throttle body has seized up, my bike is out of warenty but out of good faith kawasaki will replace the throttle body free of charge due to my warenty just running out, so instead of paying nearly $3000 it will only cost me $250, still not to happy considering my bike has only done 26000km,

Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:39 pm

Bike is in the shop getting the brand new $2700 throttle body fitted, glad kawasaki is footing that bill, will be done for Easter long weekend, hope to see some of you out and about, ride smart stay safe be loud

Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:03 pm

it is a stupid design a 30 odd dollar sensor goes and u have to replace the whole shebang not good going through the same thing now

Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:11 pm

Zedex 6 wrote:.......Shouldn't have to replace TB if the TPS is slightly out, If the light is on they generally need adjustment, elongation of the of the security Torx screw holes and reset with ohm meter. Disconnect battery and ECU then reconnect. Did this on a mates Z with no further issues, Got rid of that mid range surge and flatness in doing so as well........

what do you mean 'reset with the ohm meter' ?

The reason I ask is that I am currently riding a mates Gen 1 Z1000 (yeh Wattie your old beast) - and it has this intermittent issue with the FI warning light coming on & off all the time. No issues when just riding around the burbs, but once you get up it for the rent - it starts to lose throttle response at anything over 1/4 throttle. So you can imagine how shitty that is when you are out chasing bastards !!

Local dealer reckons these models had a known fault in the sensor in the TB, and it can't be replaced on its own - its a complete new (or 2nd hand) throttle body !! FFS its a pain in the arse, any help much appreciated.

8)

Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:14 pm

I know this is a bit late, most late model injected cars & bikes run a tps that,s' throttle position sensor. there are 2 types-type --1_ acts just like a on --off switch type 2-- is a variable potentiometer in english it's just like you're old slot car speed controller most of the sensors are made by 2 or 3 manufacturers world wide now the point i am making if you know what type you need and thats easy to work out ,look in you're manuals ECU pin voltages it will either be on--off -or- variable volts back to the the ecu. once you work that out head off to the wreckers im sure you will find something that will do the job-- then install & set the voltage as per manual-- as far as the variable throttle plate control motor, lock the plates in full open and disconnect the controller you might loose a bit of low down grunt but at-least youre back on two wheels . More so these days when the ecu picks up a fault it will log it in memory and the check engine or ecu light will remain on & this may restrict full power or in the case of a automatic trans car it can put it in limp home mode, maybe lock the trans in 3rd or 4th gear until the code is retrieved and the problem is rectified .
Post a reply