Fork straightening... any info

For general Technical and Performance Discussions

Fork straightening... any info

Postby spekt-r » Mon Oct 04, 2004 5:28 pm

Stacked my beautiful pristine 2002 ZX7R on Thursday :cry: , as you can imagine in pretty pissed :x . It went into the grass though so the damage is only some minor rashing, this is a good excuse to start my new paintscheme with flames, there will be pics. The only actual damage to the bike was a bent fork leg, maybe two, I called suspensionsrus.com.au and they said they can straighten them for $35ish a leg so ill send em off and see how I go. Has anyone had any experience with fork straightening? does it usually work ok? Feedback would be appreciated, ill do a followup post after theve been straightened to let other forum members know how it goes incase they need it done too, but lets hope not.
"The road to hell is paved with good intentions" screw it then i'll just be bad.
spekt-r
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

re: Fork straightening... any info

Postby mattyv74 » Mon Oct 04, 2004 5:35 pm

Where fuck is Neka when he's needed?
Apparently he's a bit of a spako who has trouble staying upright. Just got his forks back after his last excursion I think?
Last edited by mattyv74 on Mon Oct 04, 2004 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It is far better to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even if chequered with failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, as they live in grey twilight that knows no victory nor defeat.
mattyv74
Team Kitty Litter

Bike: ZX7R
State: Queensland

Postby spekt-r » Mon Oct 04, 2004 5:50 pm

hehe "excursion" hehe. If anyone asks what I did on Thursday... I erm "modified" my bike, ahem. :?
"The road to hell is paved with good intentions" screw it then i'll just be bad.
spekt-r
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby Quarkz » Mon Oct 04, 2004 5:57 pm

Geez, $35 is alright
Kylie
---
2013 Kawasaki ZX636 / 2004 Kawasaki ZX636 / 1999 Aprilia RS250
Quarkz
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ZX6R

Postby mattyv74 » Mon Oct 04, 2004 5:57 pm

Wasn't gonna bring it up, but gotta ask. What happened? :wink:
It is far better to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even if chequered with failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, as they live in grey twilight that knows no victory nor defeat.
mattyv74
Team Kitty Litter

Postby spekt-r » Mon Oct 04, 2004 6:05 pm

was coming over a hillcrest pretty fast, started braking, as you do when you approach hillcrests, was still using the brakes when I came over the top, as I came over the weight of the bike came off the front, as I still had the brakes on they locked and the front slid all outta shape, there was a corner, the front was still sliding so I couldnt get around it, kinda went through it instead. The "runoff was actually a pretty harsh drop the bike went over it the front dropped and I went over the clipons and landed on my head/shoulders/neck, then the bike flipped and landed on top of me and we slid down the hill together. All my bloody fault too, nobody to blame but my silly ass self.
spekt-r
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby mattyv74 » Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:01 pm

It's happened to all us. Atleast you're man enough to cop it on the chin.
I did similar, trying to burry a zzr100 through the twisties, came through a steep down hill cork screw then into a nice smooth right hander through a blind cutting. Got the bike settled, wound on some gas, glance in the mirror to see if the slow arse zed was behind me. Then fark! it was a double apex. Missed the second one, ran wide into the grass and then into a culvit. Same as you, over the bars onto my back. Slid back down the rocky enbankment with the bike upside down. :oops:
learnt my lesson, err on the side of caution on roads you don't know.

They go a bit better once you've dropped them anyway. :wink:
Last edited by mattyv74 on Mon Oct 04, 2004 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mattyv74
Team Kitty Litter

Postby MadKaw » Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:56 pm

As long as ther is no visible crease makes in the forks they should be fine. The Kwakas all have strong forks... Thank god.!! :lol:
Dave
2010 Z1000
ex bikes
05 ZX-10R Race Bike - No.77
95 ZXR750R M Race Bike - No. 75
98 ZX9R Race Bike - No. 000
zx6r, zx7r, GPX750, GPX500, lots of KX's.
I ride way too fast to worry about cholesterol
MadKaw
Administrator
Administrator

Bike: ZX10R
State: New South Wales

Postby spekt-r » Mon Oct 04, 2004 8:19 pm

The crease marks arent visible but I can faintly feel one on the left leg on the chrome bit, I bloody hope I dont have to replace them because theyre EXPENSIVE and I wanted to spend that money on a ZX9 engine, also I need to save cuz were moving to Queensland.
spekt-r
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby Nanna10r » Mon Oct 04, 2004 9:31 pm

Bout time you came up mate, place has been a bit quiet this week In regard too forks only 2 pairs i bent were .... UM ..... lets say they took a mallet to the rest of the scoot to get them to the Write off stage, but they used to be naughty like that back in the early 80s.
So hope you get it sorted $35 is damn cheap for anything to do with a bike. On the other hand not impressed with another gravity test this week thought we did all them last week :(
Cheers Brett
"Nan & Pop Racing"
Poppy Hops on .... CBR150 (Superlite) CBR954 "Blade"
Nanna Naps on .... MoriWAKI NSR85 (Motolite) ZX10R "Crim"
We may ride like Old Can'ts, But Phuk we look DOOG !!!!!!
Nanna10r
Team Ninja

Bike: ZX10R

Postby aardvark » Mon Oct 04, 2004 9:56 pm

You guys... none of you know how to crash spectacuarly. Come and see me when you're ready for your lesson!

$35 to have them straightened? Bargain... and at least you have forks. :cry:
aardvark
Apprentice Post Whore :-)
Apprentice Post Whore :-)

Bike: Yamaha
State: South Australia

Postby Neka79 » Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:10 pm

hmm mine had to b str8ened and rebuilt...as i put mine into a guard rail, it destroyed the bottom part near the callipers..and one of the pinch bolts was/still is i reckon inbeded in the rail..
i had them done for $150..that was to straighten all 4 legs, and weld up the bottom..i then paid $110 to have the bottom re painted..ud never kno theyd fallen over!! top job too..
neka
Neka
2006 Zeddy 1000
1996 VS series 2 S pak Ute
Neka79
Extreme Post Whore :-)
Extreme Post Whore :-)

Bike: Z900
State: South Australia

Postby spekt-r » Tue Oct 05, 2004 7:47 am

Who did those forks for you Neka? sounds like it was a good job.
spekt-r
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Re: re: Fork straightening... any info

Postby Bluefly » Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:19 am

spekt-r wrote:was coming over a hillcrest pretty fast

I'm from Tassi too, just wondering where it happened?
Hayden who??
Bluefly
Patient 46
Patient 46

Postby spekt-r » Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:48 am

It was on the road through Holwell from Frankfurt to Beaconsfield, I took a turn and went through that way on my way back to Launceston from shearwater. Great twisty road but it can get wet and its very narrow in spots, most corners are blind too and if a truck is on the road you almost have to pull off the road completely.
spekt-r
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Next

Return to General Tech & Performance Talk