Zx6 No Crank or Start Check KILL Switch

For general Technical and Performance Discussions

Zx6 No Crank or Start Check KILL Switch

Postby Zedex 6 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:18 pm

A little trap for those who don't know.

Went to start the ZX6 last night to make sure it was all good for the creek on Wednesday, low and behold she would crank over.
Had ignition, plenty bright lights on dash, but checked the battery anyway and it had 12.3volts.
Tested the Starter relay and found no power going to relay when starter button depressed also the power feed from the ignitor to fuel pump relay was gone. I could by-pass the starter relay and bridge out the main starter wire harness and found she would crank but not start, noticed the fuel pump was not working at the same time, by-passed the pump as well, pump now working and plenty of fuel. Still didn't start. WTF!

Checked all the connectors for corrosion and good contact, In the process of cleaning all the connectors and found the main connector Located in front of the Air box and head stem of frame (access with tank removed)was pretty corroded, all the other connections were good and free of corrosion, thinking I'm on a winner, cleaned and re-connected Still no go. Chased the power feed all the way to the kill switch, found the problem right there, Corroded switch, pulled it apart and cleaned the contacts. Now she goes.

Now on any bike I have owned I have never used the kill switch, just always switched off at the ignition. That little kill switch wasted and caused 2hrs of frustration. So if you used your kill switch then maybe it won't be corroded, but if your bike won't start then that would be the first place to look.
It would of helped if I had a workshop manual, for a wiring schematic. It annoys me greatly how manufactures change the wiring colours from one connection to the next. Unless you chase the wires directly from the connectors you haven't got a clue, where there going.

Hope this helps
Regards John
Zedex 6
Warming up
Warming up

Bike: ZX6R
State: New South Wales

Re: Zx6 No Crank or Start Check KILL Switch

Postby javaman » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:47 am

:D

That reminded me back in 2005, boarded the Spirit of Tasmania for business trip on a bike, then upon getting there the bike won't start !#@#%.

Calmed down and 'analyse' the situation... bloody kill switch ! :x

I had a great time :)

http://ninjazx6r.blogspot.ch/2005/04/be ... mania.html
alien.gif andi - Red GPZ900R, GPZ750R1, KLR650 Tengai, KLR250
"my dad's motorbike is cool it is all ways clean.oheter pepole' s motorbikes
are't like my dad's one it's because their is one not always clean."
-ariel circa 2007
http://GPZninja.blogspot.com/
javaman
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: GPz900