Oil descriptions

For general Technical and Performance Discussions

Oil descriptions

Postby MrFaulty » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:33 pm

Maybe this is general knowledge but I was in at Kawasaki Newcastle on Saturday getting some oil. I have previuously been running fuchs oil from supercheap, Comp 4 Synthetic (they also sell semi synthetic). The bloke at kawasaki advised that as I don't do track work, the semi synthetic will be fine for me, then picked upt he comp 4 synthetic. I pointed out that he had picked up the synthetic and he then explained that the semi synthetic is bugger all synthetic, the comp 4 is actually semi synthetic also, but has a far greater portion of synthetic - it is not fully synthetic (Kawasaki also sell the fully sythetic). It is a bit deceptive if your buying from someone who doesn't stock the fully sythetic or who doesn't explain it to you.

Good service from Newcastle Kwaka!
MrFaulty
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ZX6R
State: New South Wales

Re: Oil descriptions

Postby Glen » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:55 pm

I've always used Motul 5100 in the roadies. I assume it's a semi synthetic (whatever that means now)
It's really all about standing around drinking Dave's beer.
2008 ZRX1200 Greeeeen Roadie
2016 KTM Superduke 1290 Oraaaaange
2016 Seadoo RXTX300
Too many toys.......work is getting in the way!!!!
Glen
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZRX

Postby s man » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:44 pm

Synthetic oil is a waste of money. IMO
Ive used it when I was racing & ended up dumping it & going to a mineral oil.
Synthetic oils were mostly made for the car industry, to meet emission, & economy targets.
The thin 0/w40 type & even the 5w50 synthetic made for lowering emissions, & being able to stretch the service limits out far longer, as they stay cleaner for longer. Nothing to do with being better for your engine's.
I remember in the late 70's & early 80s, when they were running bikes for the Castrol 6 Hour, some teams tried
[Castrol R synthetic]to see if they could get a few more laps when using it. What happened was the bikes used huge amounts of oil & never ran in properly. Castrol were supplying teams with it, they gave them normal mineral oil & the problem stopped.
So IMO keep your money in your pocket & use a good mineral, or semi synthitic. Me I used in all my race bikes & now in my road bike Castrol Active 4T. Never had a problem.
Just my 20c worth.. :D
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
s man
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: Z1000

Postby Strika » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:52 pm

s man wrote:Synthetic oil is a waste of money. IMO
Synthetic oils were mostly made for the car industry, to meet emission, & economy targets.
The thin 0/w40 type & even the 5w50 synthetic made for lowering emissions, & being able to stretch the service limits out far longer, as they stay cleaner for longer. Nothing to do with being better for your engine's.
I remember in the late 70's & early 80s, when they were running bikes for the Castrol 6 Hour, some teams tried
[Castrol R synthetic]to see if they could get a few more laps when using it. What happened was the bikes used huge amounts of oil & never ran in properly. Castrol were supplying teams with it, they gave them normal mineral oil & the problem stopped.
So IMO keep your money in your pocket & use a good mineral, or semi synthitic. Me I used in all my race bikes & now in my road bike Castrol Active 4T. Never had a problem.

Sorry mate, but your 20c isn't worth .02c. You know things have moved forward since 1970.......... :)

A good quality synthetic is well worth the investment. Perhaps in an old 80's bike they weren't, but anything from early 90's on, it is. I used a 0W-5 Diesther based synthetic in my racer and it never used oil (even when I only ran compression rings and no oil rings.) And whenever the engine was stripped there was no visible wear.
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me" Hunter S. Thompson.
There are really only two questions in life. 1.Which way do i go? 2.What is the lap record?
Strika
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: Yamaha
State: Victoria

Postby s man » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:21 pm

Perhaps you miss understood my post. I only stopped racing at the end of 2011. So my 2c worth might gather some intrest now do you think?
Either way use what you like, what would I know. :lol:
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
s man
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: Z1000

Postby MAXUMIS » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:55 pm

Strika wrote:
s man wrote:Synthetic oil is a waste of money. IMO

Sorry mate, but your 20c isn't worth .02c. You know things have moved forward since 1970.......... :)

A good quality synthetic is well worth the investment. Perhaps in an old 80's bike they weren't, but anything from early 90's on, it is. I used a 0W-5 Diesther based synthetic in my racer and it never used oil (even when I only ran compression rings and no oil rings.) And whenever the engine was stripped there was no visible wear.

+1 ,the reason they use full synthetic in high powered cars for emissions is the fact that you can run thinner oil as synthetic doesn't break down like organic styles under load . brock's performance forum has a great thread on using synthetic oils , Strika has just said the truth ! there's 8 to 10 hp pickup using full / thin synthetic oils without a blowup , for racing and wanting the most out of your machine ..
life starts at 200 kph!
MAXUMIS
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: ZX12R

Return to General Tech & Performance Talk