For general Technical and Performance Discussions
Post a reply

Starter Motor

Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:33 pm

Hey Guys,

I finally got my bike to start the other day, but I just to replace the fuel, plugs and roll start it.

I can no longer get the starter motor to kick the engine over. It makes a noise and tickets a bit almost like the battery is no good, but even when I run jumper leads from the car to the bike it makes no difference. Hence I'm assuming it has to be the starter.

Any other suggestions?

And yes when I had the crap fuel and old plugs I did try to start it a lot. But I've never had a dead starter to know from experience. Also when running I can hear the starter running if I push the start putting. So it appears to work but have no guts to it perhaps?

Cheers guys,

Dan

Re: Starter Motor

Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:44 pm

I really don't think it sounds like the starter motor mate. I'd check for a really good earth first, and perhaps even try touching the positive jumper lead directly to the positive side of the starter motor with the negative on a solid earth. If your old battery is really kfucked it might actually drain enough from the starting battery to stop it starting, so maybe replace the battery too.

Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:01 pm

.. I am with Dave

first things when checking out possibly dud starters
are making sure the earth/ground is good ...as is the battery

Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:38 am

Starter relay can cause that too. Like was said above, running leads directly from the battery to the starter motor will check whether starter or relay are at fault.
Post a reply