For general Technical and Performance Discussions
Post a reply

Oil for 1000kms Service

Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:04 pm

Hiya All,

I'm about to book for my 1000kms service on my zx14r. Ive been ringing around the bike shops in the hills area (where i live), and they all seem to use different oils. The cheapest quote i received was for Motohub. They use IPONE oil, and suggested a semi-synth for the 1000km service.

Any ideas on this guys? On previous bikes, Ive ALWAYS used MOTUL full synth, and found it reliable. What do you guys use?

Cheers,

Re: Oil for 1000kms Service

Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:55 pm

What's the owners manual say? Me I use Shell fully synth on my modern sports bikes.

Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:21 pm

For your first service I think Semi is the go then change to full synth at around the 6 thou. Having said that there is nothing like a good oil debate and I'm sure many will have different opinions.

I know with the ZX10 and now the Mt09 the dealers put Semi in until they've got a few klm's up.....and they both said you should give them a thrashing as well 8)

Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:30 pm

Olive oil

Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:31 pm

:D

Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:33 am

tim wrote:Olive oil

Thanks Popeye

Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:23 am

Ayk Ayk Ayk

Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:37 pm

I thought they used mineral at the 1000k service and changed to semi synth at the next one..?

Last time I had a new bike (it was a while ago), ran mineral until about 3000ks (then did a mid service oil change - always good for the bike)...

Maybe I'm old skool....

Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:49 pm

Quite likely, although the MT09 got semi at 1000 but it's a Yam.......a Yamah...... a Yammaho.....oh I can't say it here....the shame of it all. :oops:

Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:07 pm

Yeah - as a general rule after an overhaul I'd recommend staying with dinosaur oil till at least 5000 km, but new engines get blatted on an engine dyno with special hot run-in oil before they even make it into your frame, so with a new bike it's less important. If it were me I'd still say stay away from full synth till 3 or 5000km...

And don't baby it! Make sure it has warmed up nicely (baby it while cold), and then ride it like it was meant to be ridden (on a closed course with professional riders - not harming any bunnies and in a sustainable refugee-friendly manner!)

(-8

Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:37 pm

BrettZZR wrote:Yeah - as a general rule after an overhaul I'd recommend staying with dinosaur oil till at least 5000 km, but new engines get blatted on an engine dyno with special hot run-in oil before they even make it into your frame, so with a new bike it's less important. If it were me I'd still say stay away from full synth till 3 or 5000km...

And don't baby it! Make sure it has warmed up nicely (baby it while cold), and then ride it like it was meant to be ridden (on a closed course with professional riders - not harming any bunnies and in a sustainable refugee-friendly manner!)

(-8

:lol: :lol: :lol:
...and most importantly don't put a fender eliminator on it or you'll be in mortal danger.
Post a reply