G / J Race glass help

Bodywork Modification Discussion.

G / J Race glass help

Postby Aussie Ninja » Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:51 am

I thought I'd use this weekend to test fit my race glass. I figured I'd start with the tail thinking that bit is the easiest. Wrong. If anyone has insight into how to successfully fit glass I'd appreciate any help you can give. :? :x :cry:
Real bravery is being afraid but doing it anyway.
1998 ZX6R R.I.P.
2004 ZX10R killed by Roo.
2011 ZX10R
Aussie Ninja
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: ZX10R
State: New South Wales

Postby MrStompy » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:12 am

what model bike is it?

and what specific bits of the tail are you having problems with?

one tip i have is to get a heap of envelopes and as you remove bits from a section of the bike put the screws/bolts clips etc into envelopes and write what section they are from on it.

anyway that doesnt answer your question but i might be able to offer more specific help with some more details.

GOod luck with it - it can be pretty slow to begin with but next time you do it it will be easy.

BTW - its too hot to be working on bikes - go drink some beer ;)
MrStompy
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: It's not worth Mentioning

Postby Aussie Ninja » Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:26 pm

It's a '98 G. To put the tail on I removed the tail light and its bracket, and the indicators. It's not as good a fit as the factory piece and there doesn't seem to be anywhere for it to be secured to the sub-frame accept for the two screws at the front. Plus I'm still working on how to get it and the seat on together. No seat and it goes on ok. But you can't bolt the seat down once it's in place. I gave up trying to put it on with the seat already there.
Real bravery is being afraid but doing it anyway.
1998 ZX6R R.I.P.
2004 ZX10R killed by Roo.
2011 ZX10R
Aussie Ninja
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: ZX10R

Postby I-K » Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:04 pm

I've seen it done two ways...

To keep the stock seat mounting, you need to cut a vertical slot in the ducktail surface at the back of the seat, so you can get a finger, then a socket, down onto the seat retaining bracket and the bracket bolt, respectively.

he other way is to pop-rivet a strip of metal with a nut attacked to the underside of the seat, then bend that strip into a U shape and attach it by a bolt from underneath, through the undertray.
I-K
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: Suzuki

Return to Bodywork & Bling Mods