zx9 race fairings

Bodywork Modification Discussion.

zx9 race fairings

Postby Wardy » Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:03 am

I have just put a set of race fairings (wet 4 u) on my 01 zx9, I have secured it from the H frame and 1 bolt on each side. The problem is it does not seem to be secure enough.
Has anyone done anything different to secure it more?

Also I have not put in the cowling duct piece (piece below where the headlight would be, where the ram air snorkel openings are), as I do not have a spare one and don't want to pull my one out of road fairings all the time.
Do you think this will cause any problems?

Also the rear cowling seems to be a bitch to get on. any tips?

cheers.
Wardy
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ZX6R
State: New South Wales

Postby Rusty » Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:08 am

I don't know who made my raceglass - it came with the bike. However ...

Mine's an F model, so should be the same.

The raceglass upper is secured by 2 bolts through the mirror support, 2 bolts on the sides, and is screwed to the belly pan (4 screws) and the "letterbox" (1 screw, but I'll probably make it 3) on the intake ducts. The belly pan is secured by 4 bolts. It all feels pretty flimsy until it's all screwed together.

The rear? It should bend enough to go over the electrickery on the side. The stocker's a pig to put back on, the raceglass should be easier. You just have to persevere 'til it goes on.

HTH.
Rusty
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: ZX9R
State: Queensland

Postby MadKaw » Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:44 am

I had mine fixed through the front (number area) of the fairing into the instrument support bracket.
On my 7 I have a clip in the fairing above the mudgaurd that also fixes to the instrument support bracket.

Both the brackets are specially made though...
Dave
2010 Z1000
ex bikes
05 ZX-10R Race Bike - No.77
95 ZXR750R M Race Bike - No. 75
98 ZX9R Race Bike - No. 000
zx6r, zx7r, GPX750, GPX500, lots of KX's.
I ride way too fast to worry about cholesterol
MadKaw
Administrator
Administrator

Bike: ZX10R

Postby Wardy » Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:15 pm

Hey Rusty with the rear how much of the original undertail is cut off. It looks like it needs to be cut down to the battery box and a new piece fitted to fill the gaps. Mine is a real bitch to get on so it's not yet...

MadKaw was yours bolted straight into the instrument support bracket or did it have grommets, spacers etc?

cheers
Wardy
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby MadKaw » Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:24 pm

Mine had an aftermarket instrument support with an alloy tube projecting out to the front to pick up the fixing.
The pic below shows were it was fixed.
Attachments
zx9-9-1-05-4.JPG
zx9-9-1-05-4.JPG (73.31 KiB) Viewed 3288 times
Dave
2010 Z1000
ex bikes
05 ZX-10R Race Bike - No.77
95 ZXR750R M Race Bike - No. 75
98 ZX9R Race Bike - No. 000
zx6r, zx7r, GPX750, GPX500, lots of KX's.
I ride way too fast to worry about cholesterol
MadKaw
Administrator
Administrator

Bike: ZX10R

Postby Rusty » Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:29 pm

The mudguard part of the undertail should unbolt from the battery tray/fusebox. The only reason you'd need to take that off for a track day would be for looks - it's pretty easy to remove the indicators and light. Mine had a tin sheet cut to fit when I got it. I'll get around to making up a proper fibreglass tray one of these days. It's currently got the original fairings on, complete with uncut mudguard on the back.
Rusty
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: ZX9R
State: Queensland

Postby Wardy » Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:05 pm

Cheers guys.

Going to play with it a bit more tomorrow and then test it out at eastern creek ride day on the 27th. Hopefully all goes well.

Then I guess I may even paint it...(all white gel coat at the moment, pretty ugly but will do the job.)
Wardy
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby Wardy » Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:08 pm

Quick update.

had to put in the cowling duct (letterbox) piece, coz the ram air wasn't working properly. Sometimes it was ok other times sluggish as, then it'd kick in and you'd jump 2000rpm in a split second. Not fun...also a strange feeling being passed down the straight at the creek, doesn't happen often on the 9.

put an extra bolt on the belly pan just below the rh foot peg.

All ok now.

Got some rearsets from wet4u also.

Raised the rear ride height 12mm and adjusted up all the suspension. Awesome on the track not so good on the road. Bloody uncomfortable now, wouldn't have thought 12mm could change things that much. Looks like I'll be adjusting the ride height each time the fairings are swapped.
Wardy
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Return to Bodywork & Bling Mods