Making a Naked ZX6R (02) ... what to do with the ram air...

Bodywork Modification Discussion.

Making a Naked ZX6R (02) ... what to do with the ram air...

Postby wilbo666 » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:37 am

I'm going to go down the path of making the ZX6R naked (Not having a lot of joy finding fairings, let alone at reasonable prices!)...

Most of it is pretty straight forward as far as I see it...

I'm going to use a single 5 3/4" headlight (make a bracket up that goes from the frame where the instrument bracket mounts).

I'll leave the mirrors mounted where they are factory, and I've decided to mount the indicators using little brackets off where the fairing usually bolts to the instrument support bracket (if that makes sense?!) :)

The main thing that I'm left to work out is what to do with the ram air ducting!

A few options here,

1)Remove the whole lot...will it be legal to have this? Or will the 'sharp' edge of the frame be a no no?

2)Leave the rubber pipe that goes through the frame cut out only...this is what I'm leaning towards. I think I'll need to make a little bracket to support the pipe so that it doesn't fly around at speed. I was thinking I could get some 2 3/4" pipe (goes in the end of the rubber pipe, and then have a bracket that picks up on the existing screw hole for the little plastic cover that goes over that...

I'm sure there are lots of other ideas? Mainly I'd like to get pointed in the right direction as to what is legal! Is having the cutout in the frame exposed legal? (I'm in QLD by the way!).

I guess this question would be a lot better suited to the ASF forums... but I like it here :P

Cheers
Wilbo
Last edited by wilbo666 on Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wilbo666

Bike: ZX6R
State: Queensland

Re: Making a Naked ZX6R (03) ... what to do with the ram air...

Postby Loz » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:27 am

Most people leave some sort of ducting hanging out in a clean airstream.
Nekkid Niner.
Loz
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ZX9R
State: Victoria

Postby robracer » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:20 am

wilbo666 wrote:.

I guess this question would be a lot better suited to the ASF forums... but I like it here :P

Cheers
Wilbo

Perfect answer.... the boys on ASF would definently point you in the right direction
I saw a 6 in a mag a couple of months ago with the tubes cut & just pointing forward looked a bit funny but would have worked fine
robracer
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

State: New South Wales

Postby Neka79 » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:24 pm

yea..or harrass Stu at aus streetfighter ( http://ausfr.com.au/ ) ... he's got some cool stuff on his site...

i kno greeny's mate had a similar prob with a cbr600 .... think he dodged it up with cable ties (is there ANYTHING they cant do??)

have u seen the fairing sets from china or hong kong ?? like $600...
Neka
2006 Zeddy 1000
1996 VS series 2 S pak Ute
Neka79
Extreme Post Whore :-)

Bike: Z900
State: South Australia

Postby dave#3 » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:37 pm

wilbo666 wrote:I'm going to go down the path of making the ZX6R naked (Not having a lot of joy finding fairings, let alone at reasonable prices!)...

I'm going to use a single 5 3/4" headlight (make a bracket up that goes from the frame where the instrument bracket mounts).

What fairing bits do you still need Will ... I'm not a big fan of nakedifying a faired sports bike, there's far too many *ugly* bits underneath to clean up if it's going to look half decent. You could get a set of race glass and cut to holes to mount the lights, perhaps a pair of custom halogen lights ... try http://www.wet4uracing.com.au, you'll get a set for about $900.

wilbo666 wrote:I'll leave the mirrors mounted where they are factory, and I've decided to mount the indicators using little brackets off where the fairing usually bolts to the instrument support bracket (if that makes sense?!) :)

The H bracket might not really be strong enough to support the mirrors without the fairings in place. You might be better getting some bar-end mirrors.

wilbo666 wrote:The main thing that I'm left to work out is what to do with the ram air ducting!

A few options here,

1)Remove the whole lot...will it be legal to have this? Or will the 'sharp' edge of the frame be a no no?

2)Leave the rubber pipe that goes through the frame cut out only...this is what I'm leaning towards. I think I'll need to make a little bracket to support the pipe so that it doesn't fly around at speed. I was thinking I could get some 2 3/4" pipe (goes in the end of the rubber pipe, and then have a bracket that picks up on the existing screw hole for the little plastic cover that goes over that...

I'm sure there are lots of other ideas? Mainly I'd like to get pointed in the right direction as to what is legal! Is having the cutout in the frame exposed legal? (I'm in QLD by the way!).

Cheers
Wilbo

Loz did a good write-up the other day about modding the airbox to cope with the removal of the ram-air system. The road rules should basically only require that you have no sharp protrusions (and that your lights are about the right height, etc).
dave#3 | '03 z1000 roadie | '08 zx6r tracky | '03 KLX400R dirty
http://www.oz4x4.net/gallery2
Winner - KSRC Murphy's Law Award 2008
dave#3
Team Ninja

Bike: Z1000

Postby tyreshredder » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:43 pm

wilbo666 wrote:I'm going to go down the path of making the ZX6R naked (Not having a lot of joy finding fairings, let alone at reasonable prices!)...

I'll leave the mirrors mounted where they are factory, and I've decided to mount the indicators using little brackets off where the fairing usually bolts to the instrument support bracket (if that makes sense?!) :)

The main thing that I'm left to work out is what to do with the ram air ducting!

A few options here,

Cheers
Wilbo

G'day mate, welcome to the forum!!
If i understand what you are saying is, can you remove the ducting that went from the front nosecone, then into the frame, then airbox (ie ram air)? I wouldn't worry about the legalities of having a huge hole in the frame so much as in the performance loss you will suffer if you take them out. Theres an old thread here somewhere on an pre 2002 ZX-6R that was streetfightered, and they found without those black pipes that face forward coming out of the frame, the performance was terrible and the power unstable because the engine was setup for the positive pressure of the ram air, and taking it away screws it up.

EDIT: Found a pic of the bike, its a 2002 ZX-6R (636) in RAPID mag, for some reason the write up aint there, so hopefully the pic will explain, forgive the crappy quality, the computer that uses the scanner has vista and i cbf fixing the damn thing, so i used the camera :D :

Last edited by tyreshredder on Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1991 Honda CBR250RR --> 2003 Honda CBR600RR
I need my kawasaki fix........
tyreshredder
Warming up
Warming up

Bike: Honda
State: Tasmania

Postby Neka79 » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:35 pm

i reckon Boxer might kno a bit abt em..he stunts a barra 03/04 ...he's fightered it...

he knows a bit abt bikes- he built "bladerod" which has been in mags like rapid etc... does a few stunt shows etc, he could help ya!!

now...to get hold of him..u got myspace??

http://www.myspace.com/boxer" target="_blank

failing that... if u dont have myspace, ill find an email addy for him...

and heres bladerod..if u wanna see what sum1 can knock up in the kitchen :D

http://www.bladerod.com/
Neka
2006 Zeddy 1000
1996 VS series 2 S pak Ute
Neka79

Bike: Z900
State: South Australia

Postby wilbo666 » Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:57 am

Some good ideas coming through :)

While I like the idea of the streetfighter, I will continue to try and find the fairings I need...I was thinking that if I can make the fightering cost pretty well nothing (so far I need a headlight and that is it pretty well), then I can be as patient as I like looking for fairings!

At least then I can begin to start enjoying the bike!

dave,
I only need the side fairings, and then need to fix a slight crack in the top fairing and paint them all...) I did find what looked to be a perfect LH fairing in the states, but Aus post wouldn't accept it because it was too big! :( (Urgh anger, the girth was 182cm, and the max for Aus post is 140cm or some crap :p). Other postage option was well expensive :(

I have seen some places that sell side fairings on their own for ~$300 a pair (ebay link), so say $450ish landed at a guess, but add the painting and the stickers to make it look proper factory and it all adds up, yeah it is prbly the option that I will go when I get around to it...also then there is the worry about how well they will actually fit...

tyreshredder, that pic looks pretty well exactly like my bike... :)

I'm not a real huge fan of that sort of headlight cover, so was thinking of making a little cover panel out of alloy that covers the rear of the instruments / the relays there...

In the pic that tyreshredder posted you can see the ram air tubes that I was talking about. It looks to me like in that pic they are not supported at all! I'm not real keen on the idea so i was thinking that I'd put some pipe in the end (just enough to go in the end), and have a bracket that connects to the pipe that pics up on the frame. That way there is at least some support for them!

Good point about the mirrors dave, hmm to mount them on the bar ends would be good but that would mean either a new bracket for the instruments or hacking the existing one (making it hard to put the fairings back on later!, also the outlay for the bar end mirrors, not looking to spend much on the fighter)....I guess if I can find another H bracket to mod I could fix it...I think I might just hope that they are OK to start with at least!

hmm, I might have to go and have a bit of a look around the wreckers and see what I can drag up for a head light. Something smaller than the 5 3/4" would be nice I think...if anyone has suggestions shoot! :D

Cheers
Wilbo
wilbo666

Postby Loz » Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:52 am

On my 9R those tubes just hang out in the air and they're fine, they're so light they're not going to get up to any mischief. I'll eventually cut them down a bit because they don't have to be so long.

Make no mistake though, streetfighter isn't a cheap way to go. Once the headlight's out of the way you'll start looking at the bars, which will mean you need to do the top triple and the hoses, then that H-frame with the mirrors will piss you off so you'll get bar-ends or bar-mounts, then the dials will look crap, so you'll start looking at dashes, then radiator bottle remounts, then paint jobs and oggies and bla bla bla bla....
Nekkid Niner.
Loz
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ZX9R
State: Victoria

Postby wilbo666 » Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:18 pm

Loz wrote:On my 9R those tubes just hang out in the air and they're fine, they're so light they're not going to get up to any mischief. I'll eventually cut them down a bit because they don't have to be so long.

Make no mistake though, streetfighter isn't a cheap way to go. Once the headlight's out of the way you'll start looking at the bars, which will mean you need to do the top triple and the hoses, then that H-frame with the mirrors will piss you off so you'll get bar-ends or bar-mounts, then the dials will look crap, so you'll start looking at dashes, then radiator bottle remounts, then paint jobs and oggies and bla bla bla bla....

Hmm, good to know that they aren't a drama on the 9.... :)

Nah my 'tolerable' limits threshold in regards to not having fairings will only extend as far as mounting the headlight, after that I'll continue my search for fairings! :) (Honest!!),

Cheers
Wilbo
wilbo666

Postby mike-s » Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:39 pm

regarding the fairings auspost wouldnt ship over, there's some guys that import custom gear and will happily put it in their cargo crate for a fee (which ive heard is quite reasonable), unfortunately i cant remember who it was.
If it hurts, you aren't doing it right.
mike-s
Apprentice Post Whore :-)
Apprentice Post Whore :-)

Bike: Suzuki

Postby wilbo666 » Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:29 pm

Well I've slowly made some progress.

I'm happy with just the rubber air ram tubes sticking through the frame now! I ran a strip of foam tape (~15mm x 2mm?) around the rubber ram air tubes a few mm from the other edge of the frame where the go through. That has taken up the slack that was there nicely and they feel quite solidish now (much better than before at any rate!).

And I've done 90% of the work to mount the headlight,

I might take a pic tonight and show the progress!

Cheers
Wilbo
wilbo666

Postby tyreshredder » Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:34 pm

wilbo666 wrote:Well I've slowly made some progress.

I'm happy with just the rubber air ram tubes sticking through the frame now! I ran a strip of foam tape (~15mm x 2mm?) around the rubber ram air tubes a few mm from the other edge of the frame where the go through. That has taken up the slack that was there nicely and they feel quite solidish now (much better than before at any rate!).

And I've done 90% of the work to mount the headlight,

I might take a pic tonight and show the progress!

Cheers
Wilbo

Nice work mate :P Can't wait to see the pics
1991 Honda CBR250RR --> 2003 Honda CBR600RR
I need my kawasaki fix........
tyreshredder
Warming up
Warming up

Bike: Honda
State: Tasmania

Re: Making a Naked ZX6R (02) ... what to do with the ram air...

Postby wilbo666 » Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:23 pm

Gee I have a messy shed :S

This was my plan for mounting the light / indicators.

And this was my float bowl pressurization setup. I t'd into the crankcase ventilation and used the stock filter as the T piece. I figure it isn't totally ideal but at least it is post air filter, and it should be the same pressure as the air box :)

Cheers
Wilbo
wilbo666

Re: Making a Naked ZX6R (02) ... what to do with the ram air...

Postby wilbo666 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:05 pm

Alomst ready to get on the road!

Cheers
Wilbo
wilbo666

Next

Return to Bodywork & Bling Mods