05-06 zx6r race stuff?

Bodywork Modification Discussion.

05-06 zx6r race stuff?

Postby GForce » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:56 pm

Hi guys,

I am a curious person and would like to know if there stuff out there such as race cams, stroker kits, etc for a 05-06 zx6r. The more I ride my zx6r, the more I am falling in love with it because it handles very good and goes hard.
Ive seem some zx6r with a race ecu that enables them to rev an extra 1000rpm and increase hp through all its rev range but I havent came across with one that has race stuff for the engine. I know yoshimura makes race stuff for the suzuki but nothing for the Kawa. Some may say why bother and get a 1litre instead but if i could get 20 - 30hp more out of my zx6r, it would be a deadly weapon for the track and street.

Mal
GForce
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ZX6R
State: South Australia

Re: 05-06 zx6r race stuff?

Postby Neka79 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:40 pm

how much money do u want to throw at it??

mate had an engine rebuild with yoshi cams and shit (suzi ) and he paid abt $1500 for the job...(strip down , swap a few bits and re-assemble)...i think he got abt 5hp out of it..
'
without turbo or supercharger i doubt ull get 20-30hp...

id go for a can, air filter and PC3 mate...same kinda $$, its removable (if u wanna take it off later) and closer to 8-10hp can be achieved
Neka
2006 Zeddy 1000
1996 VS series 2 S pak Ute
Neka79
Extreme Post Whore :-)

Bike: Z900

Postby GForce » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:57 pm

you mate that did a rebuild with the goodies in the engine made an extra 5hp. with AF, exhaust system and PC3, that would be close to 20hp, which is what I was aiming for. exhaust system cost 899US (ebay baby), PC3 220US (ebay again), dyno tune?
All up it will be around 3G....abit too much for my liking but then again, I would have one crazy ass zx6r. :D
GForce
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby Slow and wobbly » Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:48 am

Horses are expensive things. As neka said go down the bolt on road first as this will make the greatest gains with a minimal amount of work. You would need a full system, pc and airfilter if you were going to get involved with the engine internals anyway.
If you realy want to have engine work done then it is going to get expensive fast just to release a few more horses - cam, valves, valve springs, pistons, velocity stacks, custom airbox etc etc. Add up the parts alone and unless you have Jeremy Burgess as a neighbour then there is the labour involved in assembling all this gear plus flowing the heads, checking squish, dyno time and mapping. And yet you think 3 large is
GForce wrote:abit too much for my liking..... :D

Money would be better spent on the handling dept. Have the suspension setup properly with springs and oil to suit your weight and riding style, lighter wheels, lighter brakes. Reducing unsprung weight and having a setup suited to you would be more beneficial on both the road and the track than spending large amounts of money on trying to find another 5-6 horses. No point having large amounts of power if it goes round corners like a Franklins trolley. Maybe even spend the moolah on rider training or track days to improve your own skills.
I got a sweater for my birthday. I realy wanted a moaner or a screamer.
Slow and wobbly
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: Scooter
State: Victoria

Postby photomike666 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:23 am

iamwithstupid.gif

Bolts-ons are the second place to start. Zorst, Air filter PC3 & maybe high flow oil filter. Suspenders next, then wheels. Loosing unsprung weight is key to fast corners. That's already 4 large and will probably run quicker lap times than something with just head work.

The problem with extreme power gains, is the price rises expenentially (sp). We'd all love high lift cams and big bucket valves, have the head gas flowed, polished and ported + lighter pitsons and lighter balances cranks but the power gains are minimal compared to the costs. If you have an unlimited budget and the need to squeeze those extra few ponies out to win at top level, then it becomes worth it.

Rider training is the same cost as the Bolt-on stage, but will reduce far more seconds from your lap time. Why upgrade a bike if you're not already utalising its full potential?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
07 ZX10R since new, tracky TBA, KX450F, 87 CR250 restoration, GT MTB - I've got serious thrill issues, dude
photomike666
Apprentice Post Whore :-)
Apprentice Post Whore :-)

Bike: ZX10R

Postby dave#3 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:22 pm

1 Kg = 1 Hp. Perhaps your bike (or you, I did) should go on a diet. It's much easier to loose 20kg's than it is go gain 20 Hp.
dave#3 | '03 z1000 roadie | '08 zx6r tracky | '03 KLX400R dirty
http://www.oz4x4.net/gallery2
Winner - KSRC Murphy's Law Award 2008
dave#3
Team Ninja

Bike: Z1000
State: New South Wales

Postby Slow and wobbly » Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:36 pm

dave#3 wrote:1 Kg = 1 Hp. Perhaps your bike (or you, I did) should go on a diet. It's much easier to loose 20kg's than it is go gain 20 Hp.

I dont realy understand that hypothesis. Does this mean a fat bastard like myself cannot ride anything less than 100 hosses?
Slow and wobbly
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby dave#3 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:19 pm

Slow and wobbly wrote:
dave#3 wrote:1 Kg = 1 Hp. Perhaps your bike (or you, I did) should go on a diet. It's much easier to loose 20kg's than it is go gain 20 Hp.

I dont realy understand that hypothesis. Does this mean a fat bastard like myself cannot ride anything less than 100 hosses?

I know where you're coming from, and if we followed that logic I'd need a bit more than 100 horses too :oops:

Like all rules of thumb it's not perfect, and it's based on the concept of modifying bikes from stock, not designing bikes from the ground up, and it's stretching a little to extend it to riders, granted, but the idea is that if you take a zx9r with 130 hp at the rear wheel and weighing 200 kg's wet, you have approx 650 hp/tonne.

Reducing the weight by 50 kgs gives gives approx 866 hp/tonne. Increasing the power by 50 hp gives approx 900 hp/tonne - it's not a true 1:1 ratio (i.e. 1kg does not exactly 1hp) but as long bikes continue to produce a horsepower figure close to the bikes weight in kilo's it will be OK as a rule of thumb ... mmmkay.
dave#3 | '03 z1000 roadie | '08 zx6r tracky | '03 KLX400R dirty
http://www.oz4x4.net/gallery2
Winner - KSRC Murphy's Law Award 2008
dave#3
Team Ninja

Bike: Z1000
State: New South Wales

Postby Gosling1 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:20 pm

Slow and wobbly wrote:.....I dont realy understand that hypothesis. Does this mean a fat bastard like myself cannot ride anything less than 100 hosses?......

why do you think I bought a 12 ??

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

actually thats not exactly correct - the Black Pearl only puts out about 100hp on a good day, and yet it can do 1:50's around the 'Creek, same times as the MFP12.....hang on, that was back in 2001, when I only weighed 85kg...... :oops: :oops:

Lose the 20kg's........its way easier..... ;)

8)
".....shut the gate on this one Maxie......it's the ducks guts !!............."
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

State: ACT

Postby Neka79 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:30 pm

GForce wrote:you mate that did a rebuild with the goodies in the engine made an extra 5hp. with AF, exhaust system and PC3, that would be close to 20hp, which is what I was aiming for. exhaust system cost 899US (ebay baby), PC3 220US (ebay again), dyno tune?
All up it will be around 3G....abit too much for my liking but then again, I would have one crazy ass zx6r. :D

mate if ur that serious abt it, buy the bloody gsxr ... not that u need it, the zx6r is more than capable... u dont like keeping things long term do ya??
Neka
2006 Zeddy 1000
1996 VS series 2 S pak Ute
Neka79

Postby swabio-ACT » Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:06 am

Gosling1 wrote:hang on, that was back in 2001, when I only weighed 85kg...... :oops: :oops:

:shock: :shock: new_rofl.gif tongue9.gif That is funny!
swabio-ACT
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: ZRX
State: Queensland

Postby GForce » Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:24 am

Neka79 wrote:
GForce wrote:you mate that did a rebuild with the goodies in the engine made an extra 5hp. with AF, exhaust system and PC3, that would be close to 20hp, which is what I was aiming for. exhaust system cost 899US (ebay baby), PC3 220US (ebay again), dyno tune?

mate if ur that serious abt it, buy the bloody gsxr ... not that u need it, the zx6r is more than capable... u dont like keeping things long term do ya??

Ive always had a soft spot for the gsxr1000 and I think Ive said that to you Neka many times before but I want to keep the ninja because its the last of its kind (636cc).

Anyhows I was just asking to see if there were any after market stuff for the engine as I would get cams for it to make it go harder. The pride and joy of doing it would mean more to me than just getting a 1 litre.
GForce
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby Slow and wobbly » Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:50 am

Look
Pipe, filter and PC111 to suit your needs
$950
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ZX6R-AKRAPOVIC-E ... dZViewItem
Slow and wobbly
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby GForce » Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:59 pm

yea i saw and would have bought it but ran out of cash now. spewing.....
GForce
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby matt76 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:38 am

Good suspension will beat horsepower any day of the week. Unless of course you are using it as a drag bike. My cbr600rr has a full titanium system, PC111 and filter, and only puts out about 5hp over standard, but the suspension mods will make it leave a stock one for dead ;) Pity its major flaw is the rider :lol:
matt76
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Next

Return to Bodywork & Bling Mods