Frame Polishing??

Bodywork Modification Discussion.

Frame Polishing??

Postby rooster89 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:07 am

Hi guys and girls,
I am wondering how to polish my frame? What do i use to do it and if it takes stupid amounts of time how much does it cost to have professionally done?

rooster89

Bike: ZX6R
State: Western Australia

Re: Frame Polishing??

Postby newzthou » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:42 pm

it takes forever to do properly, and then everyones sus that its a repaired writeoff. if you've still got the zzr250, don't bother, just ride it. Or get the rims polished??
newzthou
Warming up
Warming up

Bike: Z1000
State: Queensland

Postby robracer » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:47 pm

Ask Slow and wobbly, he's done a fair bit of polishing in his time :shock:
robracer
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

State: New South Wales

Postby Slow and wobbly » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:38 pm

Rooster,
I'm not going to say "dont bother! its just a 2fiddy and you'll move on to bigger and better things"
Why?
Because right now it is your pride and joy. Do with it what you like. 8)
Polishing frames is laborious, monotonous and time consuming - polishing anything is in fact. But where better to cut your teeth? As mentioned above though start with just doing the outer edges of your rims and see if you have the patience. To do the rims properly will probably set you back a whole day and about $50 of materials. You will be black with polish and smut by the end of the day and your patience will have been tested.
As a guide most polishers will charge $65 to $70 per hour and in order to complete a frame would see you delivering to them nothing but the frame. Pay workshop rates to have it stripped if you cant. So in answer to your Q. dont expect change from $1500 as a ride in ride out proposition.
Start reading - http://www.finishing.com/search/googler ... e.html#919 but generally just to polish the outer edges of your rims requires Wet and dry paper starting at 120 through to 800 and then a propriety metal polish. ZZR's have a centre stand too so this will expediate things 8)
I got a sweater for my birthday. I realy wanted a moaner or a screamer.
Slow and wobbly
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: Scooter
State: Victoria

Postby hoffy » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:50 pm

Just hire a bike with a polished frame, i heard there about $50 a day :lol:
hoffy
Team Barge
Team Barge

Bike: Z1000
State: New South Wales

Postby rooster89 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:11 am

Sorry i had forgotten to change my ride in my profile, i purchased a zx6r 2001 recently that was a repairable write off and has some frame scuffing on the frame below the tank. Thanks heaps for your help, im pretty confident stripping the bike so i might try on a part of the frame that isnt visible to see if i have the patience.

Also are clear indicators legal? I have to take the bike over the pits at some stage to have it re-registered and i want to put clear indicators on it. Does anyone know if this will be an issue?
rooster89

State: Western Australia

Return to Bodywork & Bling Mods