Fender Eliminators

Bodywork Modification Discussion.

Fender Eliminators

Postby mikeman » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:57 am

Hi all,

I was thinking of putting a fender eliminator (hehe at the irony of putting something on that removes something) on my 250R. :)

I noticed that there are lots on eBay, so I was wondering what people would recommend. So far I've got my eyes set on this baby since it seems to require no modification to the original parts which I intend to keep. It seems to have holes for the indicators and the license plate fits over that white logo.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/KAWASAKI-NINJA-2 ... 4cf4cdf5d2

Secondly I'm also wondering how illegal these things are. My understanding is that it prevents rain from flying at cars behind you. But if a car is that close that water is spraying on it... isn't it a little too close to you? Illegally close? :shock:

What are people's experiences with this?
Needs more CCs between his legs.
mikeman
Warming up
Warming up

Bike: Ninja 250
State: Please Select a State

Re: Fender Eliminators

Postby Jonno » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:48 am

hahahaha... experiences.... :lol:

Illegal, plain and simple, will you get busted?...maybe... and I did... I hear it is largely overlooked in NSW, and having lived in Vic I know full well how super anal the law enforcers there can be.

You are correct, it is there ONLY for water spray suppression that's all but it is an ADR requirement.

Btw my little eliminator run in with the law cost me 2 days off work and finding/buying the original parts total cost of about a grand all up to get defect removed.

see this thread.... >>>> viewtopic.php?f=8&t=32396

Besides it wont make you a better rider, you cant see it while riding it, and I doubt too many will be looking at it considering it is a 250 or even be riding behind it anyway :P

You will get covered in shite of the rear wheel, I agree that the stock fenders look shite butl so do most motorcyclists when the remove their helmet, what can ya do :P :lol: :lol:

Save your money for the next bike, you will not value add by spending money modding this one ;)
Jonno
Mobile Chicane

Bike: Other Kawi
State: Queensland

Postby mikeman » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:05 pm

You got slapped with a canary because of not having a fender? That's just effed.

I see heaps of bikes on the road without a rear fender so it's common place. I think only bike cops that pull you over will notice it. Ditto with Australian standards stickers on helmets (or lack thereof if you order online). Most police would be oblivious to this.

I'm having second thoughts about getting one now though. A bit torn since I think they improve the look of the bike considerably.

Also, are tinted windscreens illegal too? That one makes zero sense to me as I never see myself needing to get low enough to have to actually use the windscreen... If you have to, then you're going too damn fast for it to be legal in the first place. :D
mikeman
Warming up
Warming up

Postby Jonno » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:14 pm

Yes I did, I see heaps here too and many are being defected in Adelaide.

Wasn't actually referring to the helmet sticker, more about the comparison of stock rear fender and most motorcyclists heads after helmet removal :lol:

Get one for sure but be aware of the downfalls and don't obliviously sail past police so they can see it, the usual out of sight out of mind applies here ;)

Yes tinted screens are illegal or so I have been told, mainly as the fall into the same catorgory as dark tint visors at night, practically its bullshite as I never look through mine with a tinted visor fitted at night ;)
Jonno
Mobile Chicane

Postby mikeman » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:42 pm

Well, I've lived life too long driving below the speed limit and not doing anything illegal. I think it's time I made this mod.

Might go with the one I linked above. OKish price and a pair of LED license plate illuminators only cost $15 odd. Worst case scenario I'll just play the ignorance card and say that the bike came like that and I had no idea that it was wrong.

Besides, I don't actually plan to ride the motorbike in the rain. :P
mikeman
Warming up
Warming up

Postby Jonno » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:53 pm

You wuss, get wet :lol:
Jonno
Mobile Chicane

Postby mikeman » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:09 pm

But, but, but, I might shrink or something. :P

I've ordered the eliminator locally and the LEDs from the US. Hopefully it's easy to install since it apparently requires no cutting of original parts. I intend to keep the original ones to save me money in the event of getting caught and having to go back to stock parts.

I think I'll get the black tinted screen too so the cops can have a field day picking on the bike. :D
mikeman
Warming up
Warming up

Postby Fossi » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:15 pm

I have a fender eliminator on my zx6r, see in my profile pic, I've been pulled over in Vic for a rego check and they said nothing about it..? Lucky I guess. I assume you'll keep your original one so if you get busted and know a good mechanic that will do you a favor and write up a roady without making the mods by just sighting your original one, happy days.

Standard ones look pox.......
Fossi
Warming up
Warming up

Bike: ZX6R
State: Victoria

Postby mikeman » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:13 am

Yup, that's the plan Fossi. Keep the original as the one I ordered shouldn't require modifications to the original. If I need to sell the bike and do an RWC then I can just slip the old one back on.

Only thing I'm 'worried' about is that I'm unsure how to wire the LEDs I ordered to the cables for the license plate light. But I'm sure it can't be too hard.
mikeman
Warming up
Warming up

Return to Bodywork & Bling Mods