zx10 08 with zx6 09 rear hugger fitted

Bodywork Modification Discussion.

zx10 08 with zx6 09 rear hugger fitted

Postby pittster » Wed May 18, 2011 9:11 am

Thought i would edit this into a how to guide for fitting a 09 ZX6 rear hugger to a 08 ZX10. This only cost me about $35 all up so awesome result i reckon. Big Thanks to Macca

So what you need:

1x zx6 rear hugger 09-10 model

razor blade or a dremel or tin snips or jigsaw etc something to cut the plastic with.

Some sand paper (optional I used 800 and 2000 wet & dry)

a M6 tap to make a thread in the swing arm.

A drill set to enlarge holes

A 20-30mm spacer for the front of the hugger (i used a tapered nut i had laying around)

Black paint (optional)

So the left side of the hugger fits great all i did here was enlarge the hole to 8mm for adjustment also i used the original bolt

Another angle i think the left side of a zx6 swing arm must be identical to a zx10

Here we fit the spacer but you need to trim the right side of the hugger as per next picture, i painted my spacer cause i could.

You need to trim here to follow the curve of the swing arm cause the front of the hugger needs to be pushed down slightly to get close enough to start the thread. I used the bolt from the right hole as its longer, also i enlarge this hole to 8mm for adjustment.

Another angle of it done

i little bit of filling and touch ups here to make it look neat depending on your OCD level :) Also i smoothed down the raised U area so it looked more factory (i assume this allowed the zx6 brake line to pass under it)
All edges i cut i sanded with 800 then wet&dry 2000 paper which gives it a factory edge Happy days :)

On to the right side i enlarged the hole in the hugger to 8mm, depending how you move this side varies how level the hugger looks from behind i readjusted this several times before i was happy once you find the happy spot drill and tap the hole to suit the short 6mm bolt from the front of the hugger (Note the metal is only 1-2mm thick here so make sure you have a nice tight threaded hole and don't over tighten this bolt). I flatened out the bracket for the brake line painted it black & used a M6 Stainless bolt i had spare.

Once this is all done i trial fitted it and got it looking nice and square. Then pulled it all off cleaned everything up and put loctite on all the bolts and your done.

Hopefully this helps people with this Mod if i didn't pick up a rear hugger so cheap i probably would of cut the original one up, anyway anything has to look a hell of alot better than the stock shovel.

Before
Last edited by pittster on Wed May 18, 2011 11:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Kawasaki ZX-10R 2008 - R77 Yoshi full system, PC3 Custom Mapped, Benneli bar end mirrors, Puig Double Bubble, Radiator protector, CircuitOne Mirror blanks, Pazzo levers, Shift-I, etc
pittster
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ZX10R
State: New South Wales

Re: zx10 08 with zx6 09 rear hugger fitted

Postby Maccarocks » Wed May 18, 2011 3:06 pm

Excellent work Pittster..!!! Looks great...

Can you take more pics of the other side.. I would be interested to see...??

Obviously you where happy with the postal service to you..!! well packaged hey..??

I hope you didn't get shredded paper all over your house..!! :D

Macca :kuda:
Maccarocks
16' - Z1000 (Road)
Too many other bikes to fit in here !!
Maccarocks
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

State: Victoria

Postby pittster » Wed May 18, 2011 6:33 pm

Hahaha yeah it was awesome dude super fast postage and packaging to the extreme lol.

I will try to get some photos tonight of the other side took a little bit of fiddling to get it right to my OCD standards :kuda: .
Kawasaki ZX-10R 2008 - R77 Yoshi full system, PC3 Custom Mapped, Benneli bar end mirrors, Puig Double Bubble, Radiator protector, CircuitOne Mirror blanks, Pazzo levers, Shift-I, etc
pittster
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby EDU » Thu May 19, 2011 1:07 am

Call me crazy but I actually want to do the opposite! From ZX6 hugger to ZX10 hugger! I just like the look of them for some reason...
EDU
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: ZX6R

Postby pittster » Thu May 19, 2011 9:36 am

EDU wrote:Call me crazy but I actually want to do the opposite! From ZX6 hugger to ZX10 hugger! I just like the look of them for some reason...

Yeah your crazy, i have my stock one if you want it for $20 + postage. I think fitting it from zx10 to zx6 would be easier than zx6 to zx10.

PM me if your interested.
pittster
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Return to Bodywork & Bling Mods