Switch to full style
Riding gear and Clothing Discussion
Post a reply

tank bags/tail bags What to buy???

Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:01 pm

I was thinking i would get a tank bag and tail bag for my bike for my trip to PI this year. I dont really like gear racks and i wouldnt use it often enough to put in the effort to fit it and take it off when i get home etc etc.

Ive been checking out the MCS website http://www.mcas.com.au/index.php and they seem to be selling the Oxford and Rjays bags some are reasonably priced

Does anyone have any advice on brands to get or to avoid?
how big should the bags be?

All I know is that i want them to either be waterproof or have a waterproof cover and to NOT scratch my bike or tank

thanks for the help

Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:42 pm

i bought an oxford tank and tail bag

its combined to be a tail bag and then you unzip and rezip and there is also a magnetic base so it can be a tank bag

downside is its not expandable so cant fit a huge amount in it , but cmon how much do you need to take to PI

other downside is the oxford gear map pockets dont fit the motorcycle atlas

pro cost about $80 think i paid about $60 at the bikebiz sale

oxford make an expandable tail bag but its about $200 , you can also then spend about $30 and buy the magnetic base and make it a tank bag

i bought a dririder or similar tank bag previously which fits the map and is expandable with a raincoat ect cheap about $70 , used it once on a VFR400 on an oxley trip , but never again as a tank bag sticks into your chest and makes it difficult to ride, see the guages , etc

as to scratching they are all prety good, but buy yourself some of the no name CHEAP gaffa tape, Cheap stuff cause its not real sticky and tape up any spots that might get rubbed

Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:14 pm

the ventura tailbag is the go, it is quick release so when you wanna take it off the bike it easy, Wattie got one, they are choice.

Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:12 am

i'd go with ventura, i love my bag, but its only 15L and it only fits my rain suit and a pair of gloves.
you can get bigger ones, for trips, and expandable ones are a good idea.
Ventura also do saddle bags that sling over the back seat they look pretty cool.
but as with anything that sits and vibrates/moves on your paint it will scuff or scratch, so Gaffa up ol mate!
or some clear contact. (also good for puttin on your headlight and front guard and front fairing... the Bugs just PEEL OFF!!

Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:19 am

I've gone with the overly expensive Givi box and rack.

Up side...
1) Key lockable
2) Box comes off in seconds
3) waterproof
4) protects rear of bike when dropped
5) Huge capacity
6) Rack removed via 6 bolts

Down side
1) Very expensive
2) Rack not transferable to another bike
3) Weight high and too far back
4) Too close to grab rail for pillion
5) Makes you look like a bike courier
6) I didn't buy box big enough for crash hat

Re: tank bags/tail bags What to buy???

Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:28 pm

I just bought a motodri tank bag.. has 3 components to it, all can be zipped into seperate parts and i even has backpack straps.. fantastic idea.. works great lots of room... cost $120...
plus I just bought a motodri bag for my ventura rack.. it's huge and awesome.. i put my boots, leather pants and jacket, socks, jocks, toiletries etc in it on my flight down to Sydney to pick up my new bike.. plenty of room 1 main pocket, 3 little ones on front and side, plus a document pocket.. and it has adjustable straps on back to fit any rack... sweeeeeeet... plus it was only $115.

I had never seen or heard of MOTODRI before.. but I can say I think they are great.. their stuff is fantastic

Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:48 pm

R-jays seat bag - has 2 side pockets + rain cover that stows in base of bag.
Ixon tank bag - also 2 side pockets + map pocket + clear elasticised rain cover - 4 large magnet attachment + straps. For tank protection under tank bag go to Bunnings/Go-Lo/Reject shop & buy piece of non-slip plastic/rubber mat. Will post pics t'moro nite (cos I'm too lazy to go out to garage now).

Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:54 pm

I've got a dririder tank bag, small lower section, larger top section that zips on. Not really waterproof but just chuck everything in plastic bags and its sweet then.

to stop it from scratching i bought a non=slip mat thingy and just cut it to the shape of the tank bag...

Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:26 am

update...

i have the same oxford bag jonnie5 speaks of, only use it on the tank.

i went to bunnings and bought some non slip rubber stuff (the stuff you buy for your passenger seat on ebay)
i whack it on the tank and it then doesnt scratch it.

but since i now have a 10 i picked up a bagster cover and bag in shit hot green 8)

its works well, its huuuge probably too big. and doesnt move at all.

i still use my tail hump bag, its good for the wets and gloves.

Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:55 am

Hey Jase,

I have a tank bag i can let you hire from me... :D

Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:20 pm

heres my current touring setup.

i need the bike for work tomorrow...

if you want to expand the bag it looks like this. :shock:
and you cant reach the bars :lol:

Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:12 pm

Is that the ventura tail bag ?

Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:38 pm

SoundGuy wrote:Is that the ventura tail bag ?

yeah the small one 8)

Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:47 pm

Wattie wrote:
SoundGuy wrote:Is that the ventura tail bag ?

yeah the small one 8)

Cool 8)

Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:22 pm

I think that is the same one that Mick C has on the titanium Crim ?? Its a great little bag, holds all the camera gear no worries, he has used one of these for a while....

8)
Post a reply