leather vs textile jackets?

Riding gear and Clothing Discussion

Re: leather vs textile jackets?

Postby adge82 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:14 pm

I think of textiles as a use once item. You will get one crash out of them. They will do the job, but are farked afterwards.
With leathers in most cases you can crash over and over again. Of course it all depends on what you hit when you fall, but leathers usually only scuff when you go down in them.

Hit a tree or a car when you come off and i dont think youll be too worried about wether its leather or textile though. But for me, leather jacket is far better than the textile i used to wear.
adge82
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ZX9R
State: Victoria

Postby Phil » Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:18 pm

gazza2008au wrote:went into MCAS today while my cousin was ordering a part and seen some nice leather Rjay jackets only $300 on special are they any good?

Brother in law got a set of R-Jays leathers - full set in fact. When he crashed at about 50 kph they exploded open like a bomb had gone off in them. I have crash tested 3 sets of Dainese leathers over the years i've been riding and all have survived - and or done their job as they should have.

As Marty said cheap shit is cheap shit. BUT you decide whats best for you. I have both and wear whats appropriate the the conditions and riding i'm doing. HTH
Phil

2018 Z900RS
2017 Z125 Pro

HCC - Road Captain
Phil
Philthy
Philthy

Postby WELDO » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:07 am

Maybe he just crapped his daks.....causing the leathers to explode open.... :lol:
ZX10R 2007
98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home.
WELDO
Warming up
Warming up

Bike: ZX10R
State: New South Wales

Postby zx10Rscooter » Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:41 am

One name for me. Dainese. Textile or leather. Their gear is quality. Furthermore as I don't exceed 110 KMH, textiles are fine. Motorcycle police wear textiles the world over and their occupational health and safety are VERY strict. I've spoken to many and they all have accounts of fellow officers coming off at 110 KMH+ wearing "quality" textiles and walking away. "Quality" textile Cordura jackets/pants are absolutely fine for the road at the legal limit. DO NOT BUY CHEAP JUNK!!

Want to break the law and do 200 KMH? Use leathers!!!!!
Yes even an 06 ZX10R can be ridden like a scooter........ Just don't rev past 2,000 RPM.
zx10Rscooter

State: South Australia

Postby ty » Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:13 pm

erm - most bike cops I see are wearing normal pants and a shirt

My dririder textile jacket and draggin jeans have survived two accidents and held up with only some minor abrasions.
Depends on the accident you end up having I guess, but textiles have proven good enough to me.

Note also we've had this argument/discussion numerous times - you may want to do a search
ty
If you have no fear, you're not going fast enough.
Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level, then beat you with experience.
ty
Team Ninja

Bike: Honda

Postby knucklehead » Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:45 pm

Go leather for shaw, My dririder textile at low 40km/h fall didnt look to good and left me with grazes, my alpinestars leather 2 piece offered me excellent protection on an off at Eastern creek. I only wear full leathers when i go for a ride, dont ride around town and to the shops, thats what my cars for.
Just bought a Joe Rocket 5.0 1pce for a great price at 'Bike Gear Warehouse' they got some good gear there at reasonable prices, check them out!
knucklehead
Warming up
Warming up

State: Please Select a State

Postby shinnynoggon » Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:36 am

is someone pulling my leg :shock: ;) :D leather all the way ;)
live when i'm alive, sleep when i'm dead
zx12r 05 roady "black betty"
zx12r 00 roady "midori"
zx9r 99 tracky "weed"
zxr750 93 soon to be race bike "cactis"
shinnynoggon
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: ZX12R

Postby oldman » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:06 am

In 2006 I crashed at 82 MPH, (120 kph), I was wearing a Joe Rocket jacket and pants, (not leather) with a back protector inside the jacket. An HJC helmet and some crappy boots and leather riding gloves with palm and knuckle protectors. I did an endo, (end over end) and landed right on my head, I don't know how far I slid, probably quite a ways. I ended up with a slight concusion and a broken ankle with no other injuries not even a scratch. The only reason I broke my ankle is my non-protected boot, (no ankle protection) got caught on the right foot peg. This all happened 300 meters from my house. This all happened because of a doctor perscribed steroid I was taking for a bad back made me black out when I twisted the throttle and naturally when I leaned forward unconcious I gave it full throttle until it hit the rev limiter and endoed. My point being full gear saved me from a serious injury or possibly death, as I previously stated I landed on my head. My whole point of this lenthy diatribe is nobody knows when you are going to crash. This was my forth crash in 45 years of riding.
A good shot and brew make all things clear.
oldman

Previous

Return to Riding Gear Discussion