Advice on gear for a learner

Riding gear and Clothing Discussion

Re: Advice on gear for a learner

Postby clay » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:43 am

Thanks, Tim for all the info and advice. Great stuff.

A friend has told me that Aldi has pants for like $50 and he reckons they're ok. I will go have a look at them and wear them over my work pants and on weekend rides.

I'm hoping (probably pushing my luck) that there isn't too much rain around for a while. And By starting with the leather jacket it will suffice till I can save up some more money and get some wet weather gear and boots.

I see your at Blacktown, not far from me at all, we'll have to catch up for a ride soon!
clay
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: Ninja 250
State: New South Wales

Postby clay » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:45 am

Glen wrote:
tim wrote:Me personally I Can't stand to ride without pants, ;)

Well that's a relief :)

Some good advice amongst this lot mate. The only thing I would add is to remember that good gear will last you a long time. , so when you're making your decision look for quality. It may cost you a bit more up front but if you can afford it you'll be set for years. If you can't afford it then drop a level in quality but make sure you're covered ie Helmet, Gloves, Boots, Jacket, Pants

There's lots of good helmets out there, try heaps on and see what fits best. We just bought a top of the line KBC from MAW for $339 and it's a really nice helmet.

Good luck and don't forget the sponsors, they'll all help you out.

Thanks, Glen.

Yeh, that's why I'm spending a bit(?) on the jacket and gloves, I figure I should have them for a while. The helmet has a 5 star rating on the British System(?) and I don't quite have the money for good quality boots and pants at the moment, so I'll save some more till I do.

From the places I've looked at so far (only online) the Helmet Warehouse seems to have the best deals, even when compared to the sponsors prices with 10% off. So I'm heading down there today.
clay
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby javaman » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:05 am

clay wrote:
A friend has told me that Aldi has pants for like $50 and he reckons they're ok. I will go have a look at them and wear them over my work pants and on weekend rides.

I got those. They are great!
alien.gif andi - Red GPZ900R, GPZ750R1, KLR650 Tengai, KLR250
"my dad's motorbike is cool it is all ways clean.oheter pepole' s motorbikes
are't like my dad's one it's because their is one not always clean."
-ariel circa 2007
http://GPZninja.blogspot.com/
javaman
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: GPz900
State: Victoria

Postby Glen » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:41 am

clay wrote:
Glen wrote:
tim wrote:Me personally I Can't stand to ride without pants, ;)

Well that's a relief :)

Some good advice amongst this lot mate. The only thing I would add is to remember that good gear will last you a long time. , so when you're making your decision look for quality. It may cost you a bit more up front but if you can afford it you'll be set for years. If you can't afford it then drop a level in quality but make sure you're covered ie Helmet, Gloves, Boots, Jacket, Pants

There's lots of good helmets out there, try heaps on and see what fits best. We just bought a top of the line KBC from MAW for $339 and it's a really nice helmet.

Good luck and don't forget the sponsors, they'll all help you out.

Thanks, Glen.

Just watch the age of their helmets. Most of their cheap stuff is pretty old. Remember you get 5 years out of a helmet. I like to take my five years from the manufactured date.

Yeh, that's why I'm spending a bit(?) on the jacket and gloves, I figure I should have them for a while. The helmet has a 5 star rating on the British System(?) and I don't quite have the money for good quality boots and pants at the moment, so I'll save some more till I do.

From the places I've looked at so far (only online) the Helmet Warehouse seems to have the best deals, even when compared to the sponsors prices with 10% off. So I'm heading down there today.
It's really all about standing around drinking Dave's beer.
2008 ZRX1200 Greeeeen Roadie
2016 KTM Superduke 1290 Oraaaaange
2016 Seadoo RXTX300
Too many toys.......work is getting in the way!!!!
Glen
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZRX

Postby clay » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:29 pm

Got a helmet, jacket and gloves today. $920 later.

An RST Jacket, AGV Stealth Griffo Helmet and Shift Vertex gloves.

Got a Red & White (Arsenal!) colour thing going on, looks ok. More importantly the quality is pretty good. No back protector in the jacket, though I can fit one, which I will do. They just didn't have any of the back protectors in stock. I think that's about another $40 but I'll get one soon as they're in.

Pretty good discount, I got like $100 off the helmet, $40 off the jacket and $6 off the gloves.

I learnt how a medium in one brand helmet might fit well, but in another brand you might need a small. And even within the same brand but different models, you may need a different size too. Jacket is nice & tight, but comfy too.
clay
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby hoffy » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:45 pm

mate, sounds great, even helmet brands have different sizing amongst their models, I take a XL in a shoei TZ1 and a large in a TZR, go figure,

Sounds like you got some good gear mate..
hoffy
Team Barge
Team Barge

Bike: Z1000

Postby Seth » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:07 pm

I just would want to bump this thread.

Looking at purchasing my first gear. I'm a Learner who will probably only ride twice a week at most for leisure and nothing above 70km/hr at this stage. Should I get Leather or Textile? There's Ladies Rjay Leather Jackets at MCAS for $200 but apparently whilst it fits very tightly on the rest of my body the sales guy said that it's still too large around the shoulders, is this just something they say to upsell me to a more expensive jacket?

They also recommended RJay helmets, are these decent?

Any other advise/recommendations is much appreciated.
Seth

State: Please Select a State

Postby Ali600+150 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:54 pm

I would say go with leather BUT make sure it fits well or it won't do its job as its meant to when needed. Jackets that are too big will slide up/across if you go for a slide on the tarmac so make sure it fits (try Joe Rocket for ladies stuff - good cuts).

They are trying to flog you an RJays because they are the importer! Again, pick what fits your noggin best but some good brands to look at are Shark, Shoei, AGV, Arai. Shark is good value if it fits you.

Definately put some boots on your shopping list ;) oh, and have fun shopping!!
KSRC Regular

Bike: Z750

Postby mike-s » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:56 pm

Well the biggest concern with the shoulders being loose is that the armour won't stay still in a crash and will slip about allowing your shoulder to be directly exposed to impact with the road. That's why it needs to be a little snug. Same goes with the pants, a little loose enough that it doesn't feel like it cuts your lef circulation off when crouching, but tight enough that you can feel it snnug around your leg.
If it hurts, you aren't doing it right.
mike-s
Apprentice Post Whore :-)
Apprentice Post Whore :-)

Bike: Suzuki

Postby dilligaf » Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:28 am

+1. I came off a dual sport at about 10kph on a dirt track and landed on my shoulder. was wearing a borrowed jacket and the shoulder armour moved a little. not too much but enough for the edge to dig into my bicep and push the tendon out of its groove. I also destroyed my rotator cuff in the process but the armour at least saved me from breaking any bones.
That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba.... Hunter S. Thompson.
dilligaf
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: Z900
State: Victoria

Postby fireyrob » Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:48 pm

I agree with the others above. Id also like to add that if you do decide on a leather jacket, try on the matching leather pants that correspond / zip together with them because at a later date when you upgrade or decide to do some longer rides at higher speeds Id recommend buying the leather pants to match.

For commuting around I have my textile pants as its just easier than leather but make sure they zip to your jacket.

Jackets have some sort of back protection but I got a Dianese as its more comfortable and offer a higher level of protection.

Helmets, try them all as its more about comfort. Everyone has a different shaped head so its best to see what fits you!

Boots, Gloves, whatevers comfortable with the right protection.

Buy the best you can afford!!! See you on the road soon :kuda:
09 ZX6R
03 Zthou
fireyrob
KSRC Addict
KSRC Addict

Bike: Z1000

Postby Seth » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:18 am

Thanks Everyone! Think I'll go with the Joe Leather Aura Women's Jacket then. I really liked the matching leather pants but unfortunately being a shorty the armor were nearly around my ankles :lol: don't think that's where it was meant to be :roll: With leather pants think I may need to go custom made.
Seth

Postby andew » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:04 pm

im from melb and i went to AMX there all over the place they usually have good deals i spent like $600 on a
AXO kevlar/fibreglass helmet was $480 got it for $260
draggin black kevler pants for $150 where $220 originally
powerage jacket was $299 got it for $175
and now theres a big sale lots of stuff for $99 like kevler pants and stuff
im always happy with there customer service and deals
andew

Bike: GPx250

Previous

Return to Riding Gear Discussion