Summer riding gear????

Riding gear and Clothing Discussion

Re: Summer riding gear????

Postby dilligaf » Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:02 pm

the jackson stuff looks OK. not all leather though? a cooling very might be handy
http://www.coolweave.com.au/
I rode in draggins with strap on knee pads and an alpinestars mesh top in the heat in Borneo. wouldn't want to wear much more. didn't crash test them on the road though. did on the dirt :oops:
That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba.... Hunter S. Thompson.
dilligaf
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: Z900
State: Victoria

Postby seiko1 » Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:12 pm

I lived in Cairns for 6 1/2 years and never wore anything but a t-shirt and jeans.
Global warming, smoking kills, chicken gives you cancer, potatoes give you cancer etc etc etc.
Jesus, if you fall off and get hurt....stiff shit!
HTFU b4 we are all waving american flags and wearing Burka's FFS.
If you sook when you get hurt....boo....fucken ...hooo, you shouldn't be on a bike to begin with.
I've been injured and had mates killed and guess what?
Shit fucken happens..if it's hot....DRESS ACCORDINGLY, because dehydration is just as dangerous as draggin your ass down the road ;)
If that sounds irresponsible then you are one of the many millions of brainwashed humans!!!
Brainwashed in order to save some farkin insurance company a few dollars :shock:
Policy - Find something simple.....and Complicate it!
seiko1
Apprentice Post Whore :-)

Bike: ZX14R

Postby Nelso » Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:19 pm

Sorry if I came across a bit harsh, it wasn't my intention. We have all been in the same position and only learn through experience which is usually at our expense or someone we know (or knew :cry: ).

The Kevlar lined things don't have any padding, rip where there is no Kevlar (only arse and knees have Kevlar) and move around/slide up your leg (the cargos much worse than the jeans) leaving the parts rubbing on the tar unprotected. To make them more protective you can wear knee and hip armor under them and tuck them into your boots, but by that stage you might as well just wear leather pants. To be honest the stretch material in the crotch of leather pants make them cool enough as long as you are moving.

As for the top half, make sure you buy perforated or vented leathers. There is no way in hell I would buy cheep leathers that had no ventilation in them.

When you crash and slide at 150+ kph and get up and walk away it puts the 60kph injuries into perspective. If I was wearing Draggin jeans instead of my leathers when I hit the 4wd I would have shattered my hip and lower back, possibly leaving me paralyzed but definitely leaving me in hospital for months. Instead I missed 4 days of work and could walk (slowly) around.

At the end of the day it's your choice. As I said I have both and do wear the cooler stuff on occasion but never when I'm going out for a scratch.
Last edited by Nelso on Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Green '08 ZRX1200 Road bike
Green 2012 ZX10 Track/race bike
Green '89 H1 ZXR750 race bike
'89 RMX250 motard race bike
2015 YZ450
2017 KTM EXC300
Nelso
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZRX
State: New South Wales

Postby seiko1 » Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:33 pm

The old saying is that "there are old riders and there are bold riders, but there are no old, bold riders"
Bikes have advanced somewhat since then and I would feel quiet confident riding in a t-shirt and jeans.
If I come off and get hurt, I would rather be off work for a few months......more time to party :kuda:
Remember the good old days when blokes would get hurt and not cry? Bring them back FFS.
I'm bored, bored ,bored with this fucken softcock society that has been thrust upon us in the late
20th and early 21st centuries.
There is another saying "the secret to a happy and successful life is to accept change gracefully"
Well fuck that if it means having to get in touch with my "inner child" or "feminine side"
Americanisation can be thrust squarely up the arse of the softcock mouthpeice of a do gooder that is spruking it :twisted:
God help us all if we are invaded :roll: oooooh don't shoot at me you big nasty brute :roll:
This should be in the rant thread .......oh who gives a fuck anyway 8)
8 beer's and an illogical response to a logical argumant and I'm ready to kill some cu....... :shock:
seiko1

Postby Nelso » Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:38 pm

seiko1 wrote:I lived in Cairns for 6 1/2 years and never wore anything but a t-shirt and jeans.
Global warming, smoking kills, chicken gives you cancer, potatoes give you cancer etc etc etc.
If you sook when you get hurt....boo....fucken ...hooo, you shouldn't be on a bike to begin with.
Shit fucken happens..if it's hot....DRESS ACCORDINGLY, because dehydration is just as dangerous as draggin your ass down the road ;)
If that sounds irresponsible then you are one of the many millions of brainwashed humans!!!
Brainwashed in order to save some farkin insurance company a few dollars :shock:

:lol: some fair points, but would you wear a t-shirt and jeans going for a ride with Marty and the boys?
2015 YZ450
2017 KTM EXC300
Nelso
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby seiko1 » Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:39 pm

Nelso wrote:
seiko1 wrote:I lived in Cairns for 6 1/2 years and never wore anything but a t-shirt and jeans.

:lol: some fair points, but would you wear a t-shirt and jeans going for a ride with Marty and the boys?

No problem!.....if it was warm ;)
Those bastards ride in the high country :kuda:
seiko1

Postby Nelso » Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:40 pm

You're on fire tonight Seiko. :lol: :lol: :lol:
2015 YZ450
2017 KTM EXC300
Nelso
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby seiko1 » Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:41 pm

Perfect "The Chuck Norris Roll" and you will never get hurt anyway :lol:
seiko1

Postby seiko1 » Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:49 pm

Nelso wrote:You're on fire tonight Seiko. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'll be sorry in the morning.......but not for the posts ;) :kuda:
seiko1

Postby Naked Twin » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:07 am

In winter I wear two piece leathers, in summer I wear a textile jacket with removable inner and draggin jeans. Same gloves year round, same helmet year round (do get out the neck warmer in winter though), same boots year round.

I find leathers too hot for summer and trying to stay hydrated when I am out the back of Oberon. I have crashed in leathers and draggin jeans. I lost skin off my arse wearing leathers. Not a mark wearing the draggin jeans and and jacket (testicles were a little sore from hitting the tank). It really depends on the type of accident. A mate came off wearing draggins and textile and ripped the textile jacket, no marks on him and the jeans didn't look like anything had happened to them, go figure.

My advice is getting something that will protect, minimum draggin and textile jacket.

Nick
Naked Twin
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: Suzuki

Postby z900/zx9 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:26 pm

Nelso wrote:

Well the last time you went for a ride with marty and myself your wife bailed and you fell off :P
http://tinypic.com/hu369k.jpg[/img]
[b]Z900, z900RS , H2 Ninja 1000 Supercharged. FPV Supercharged Pursuit ute..
z900/zx9
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby z900/zx9 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:35 pm

As far as gear goes i have a shift mesh jacket with armour which i wear on really hot days,this is combined with a r-jays back protector.Medium days i wear a perforated leather jacket,if i am going out for a run then its full leather jacket always with back protector.As far as the bottom half, it is always leather anywere there is multiple corners.Around town kevlar jeans with knee protectors.Boots wise i have 3 sets one is touring boots which i dont wear anymore,the second a set of alpine star gp pros which have ventilation for those really hot days .The most common set is my Sidi vertigos (I like my feet and ankles)These are worn just about everywere.Yes they are Blue and they look a bit blinggy but hey at $299 reduced from $600 who cares :lol:
http://tinypic.com/hu369k.jpg[/img]
[b]Z900, z900RS , H2 Ninja 1000 Supercharged. FPV Supercharged Pursuit ute..
z900/zx9
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby seiko1 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:28 am

Geez
I save the world and is it "Steve the Saviour"
I predict the future and is it "Steve the Prophet"
I feed the hungry and is it "Steve the generous"

But I fall off once in twenty year's :roll: :lol:
seiko1

Postby kevindinho » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:42 pm

HAHAHAH seiko your a legend! Society needs to HTFU :twisted: !!! ROFL
When i grow up i want a ZX6R just like Rob Racer...

Craving PIE PIE PIE PIE PIE PIE PIE PIE....mmmm
kevindinho
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: Yamaha

Postby aardvark » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:02 am

I wear a shirt, jodhpurs and boots. :lol:

Don't want your arse sliding down the road? Don't fall off. I know, I know, some will say that you can't control what other road users do. But really, if the reason you fall off is because you get hit by a car, then a bit of gravel rash is the least of your worries.

For the record, the last time I fell off (2 weeks ago), on bitumen, I was wearing motocross nylons. I can attest to the fact that they offer zero protection. :shock:
aardvark

Bike: Yamaha
State: South Australia

PreviousNext

Return to Riding Gear Discussion