Back protector

Riding gear and Clothing Discussion

re: Back protector

Postby Barrabob » Tue May 24, 2005 10:15 pm

Well if you are going to be wearing it under a set of leathers it should go to the base of your spine and if your leather are like mine there a snug fit so you have trouble fitting the added bulk in and still being able to do up your pants.

same thing can happen with the jacket although my jacket zips up fine....then you have to lean over a bit probably not a big problem on a er5 but on a 6r you have to lean over quite a bit so fittting it all inside you existing gear is a issue.

Could always do what captain strapon does and wear it on the outside. zicon_viking.gif
If I rode my bike at the speed of light, what would happen when I switched on its headlights?

Barrabob
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby Neka79 » Tue May 24, 2005 11:09 pm

blah blah blah...heres a pic of my UFO...comfy as....
Neka
2006 Zeddy 1000
1996 VS series 2 S pak Ute
Neka79
Extreme Post Whore :-)

Bike: Z900
State: South Australia

Postby Felix » Thu May 26, 2005 10:47 pm

thanks neka...looks alright.

Not sure that I've seen that brand around here though.
- Team Furball -

Felix
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: Suzuki
State: Overseas

Postby Neka79 » Fri May 27, 2005 1:41 am

yea mate, the back pro looks alright..better than that dodgy doonah cover in the pic i tell ya...lol....can ya tell a girl picked that??pmsl..i just too lazy to change it...
yea the UFO seems ok, mate crashed & bounced off a guard rail, broke both legs, but his back is ok...
Neka
2006 Zeddy 1000
Neka79

Postby Shifty » Tue May 31, 2005 12:47 am

I have the full-size UFO item and wear it 90% of the time I'm on the bike. The main time I don't wear it is the commute to work where it is just plain impractical - for that I have CE armour in my jacket anyway and that will have to do.

It is very comfortable and the only problem I've had with it is that sometimes I get "pinched" a little between the bottom of the kidney belt and the top of my Draggins - easily fixed with a little adjustment. If I had my time again I would be buying a Dainese item but the UFO is certainly a lot better than nothing - also probably more practical on a daily basis and something you're more likely to put on due to the comfort factor.

Interestingly I get a lot of funny glances and occasionally even comments from other bikers when I am wearing the protector for going across town, to the movies, whatever. Strange how everyone has a "squids are wankers" attitude yet the guy in the back protector gets looked at like he's a little wierd in the head. I'd rather be wierd in the head than normal with injuries that could have been prevented/lessened.
Shifty
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: ZX12R
State: Queensland

Postby Neka79 » Fri Jun 03, 2005 1:36 am

hmm mines comfy, so i wear it EVERYTIME im on the bike, especially if i have a backpack on...heard the story of the guy whos back pack caused damge wen he crashed?? its a pain in the ass (takes an extra 30sec to put on), and u get funny looks , but i wear it neway..i like the use of my legs...
Neka
2006 Zeddy 1000
Neka79

Postby momomags » Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:17 pm

Hi all
im currently looking at leathers.. ill end up getting some Collins gear..my question is about sizing..ive tried on different sizes and worked out that in Collins, im a 42.. nice snug fit.. but that was without a back protector.. now im not sure if it will be to tight. if i go up a size to accomodate the BP, it will prob not be so snug in different areas...
any suggestions/personal experience?? do you think the jacket will stretch enough to accomodate?

94 ZXR750
momomags

Re: re: Back protector

Postby mattyv74 » Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:44 pm

zxrarron wrote:are these back protectors for if u fall off or for ride support?

Hey Aaron, for support is all i can say. I high side at about 180km/h and landed flat on my back then slid over the ripple strip on my back. Got up and hobbled away.
http://www.ksrc-au.com/phpBB2/viewtopic ... =christmas

As for the best design, there is very littl that can be hurt on the posterior(rear) side of your shoulders. Where your shoulders need protecting is on the out side and front (lateral and Anteria) sides.
Extra armour arounr rear of shoulders will only impeede on mobility.
Dirt bikers use it as the risk of hitting trees and other bikes is much higher.

For this reason I use a basic spine only daineese protector.
It is far better to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even if chequered with failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, as they live in grey twilight that knows no victory nor defeat.
mattyv74
Team Kitty Litter

Bike: ZX7R

Postby Felix » Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:49 pm

Hmmm...seeing as we are still going on this:

MCAS got back to me and they have the UFO, which will be $90 or something DELIVERED. Might just havta...
- Team Furball -

Felix
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: Suzuki
State: Overseas

Postby HemiDuty » Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:50 pm

Hey momomags, welcome to the Klub.

I reckon you are better off going bigger than smaller. You can always get away with something a little to baggy than something you need 3 assistants to stretch over your body. Besides you will probably put on weight with age anyway (just ask all the crusty old bastards around here).

My leathers - http://www.ksrc-au.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4130 - stretch this theory a little to far mind you.... but when on a budget...

Will be in the market for a back pro myself when the finance commitee gets over my leathers and the trackday this saturday.
Last edited by HemiDuty on Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Drmsby Middleton
DC Racing

Extreme Motorsports
M2R
Castrol
ColourSmart Chroming
Hi Side Leathers
Teknic
Sidi
DID Racing Chain
Goodridge
HemiDuty
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: Don't have one

Postby Smitty » Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:50 pm

neka79 wrote:.. its a pain in the ass (takes an extra 30sec to put on), and u get funny looks , but i wear it neway..i like the use of my legs...

neka
my reason exactly......
that is a very good reason to wear a back protector.
GOTTA LUV the 12R!!
Smitty
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

State: Victoria

Postby Smitty » Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:54 pm

HemiDuty wrote:...snip.... Besides you will probably put on weight with age anyway (just ask all the crusty old bastards around here).

oihh.......watchit......
who you calling crusty??? :lol: :lol:

hehehe
GOTTA LUV the 12R!!
Smitty
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby Neka79 » Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:39 pm

yea the leathers should stretch a lil to accomodate, there not that thick neway...i just pulled my leathers over the thing & did it up, she'll b right...also dont go too big (ull never fill em out) and dont go too small, in case u do get a bit bigger..try to get a snug fit so if they do stretch a bit, the mould to ur body...ive had mine 8 yrs & still fit fine...
Neka
2006 Zeddy 1000
Neka79

Postby Ratmick » Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:56 pm

Great thread guys, I've been looking for one myself.

I found this thread on another Forum:

http://oroadsports.com/viewtopic.php?t=5567

If you scroll down about half-way someone posts a long list of the various protectors and what standards they meet.

thanks
Ratmick
Team Hornet

Bike: Other Kawi

Postby Barrabob » Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:21 pm

Well personal experiance shows that when i put my leathers on they are a neat fit but when i put the back protecter on as well i needed both pontikat and hemi and a set of tyrelevers to get my leathers on and after that theres the issue of crouching over the tank and hanging off etc. :shock: just goto loose a couple more kilos. :D

Dont think my leathers will stretch in a hurry either with a dackron lining plus goretex stiched into them but they seem very warm when its raining. :D

If i was rich i could get collins one peice at a very good price but i am poor at the moment. :(
If I rode my bike at the speed of light, what would happen when I switched on its headlights?

Barrabob
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to Riding Gear Discussion