gear after 12 months.

Riding gear and Clothing Discussion

gear after 12 months.

Postby waynemorgan » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:35 pm

Just a quick overview of my riding gear after 12 months.

I bought all my gear before I bought my bike - textiles first and leathers second.

Textiles -
RJays TourX Jacket - has a thermal liner and a waterproof liner. It's warm in winter and cool in summer and definitely waterproof. Has armour in the back, shoulders and elbows. It's a perfect fit for me and very comfortable to wear. Has big pockets one the outside and a waterproof pocket in the inside. Bought it for $299 and found it excellent.

RJays All Season pants (Stout version) - these are made for short people with a central expansion problem. Removable armour in the knees which unfortunately sits around shin level on me. Has a removable waterproof liner. I've ridden in the rain with these on and not got wet. They don't have a thermal liner - I wear thermal underwear under them during winter. With the waterproof liner in as well they are reasonably warm. Good pockets and very comfortable with velcro adjusters around the waistline. Fly button is covered in rubber so it won't scratch the tank. Has an 8" zipper to connect to your jacket.

Leathers -
Bikers Gear leather jacket. It's 12 months old and I've ridden less than 20 rides with it on. The cuff zippers are both broken. I've recently discovered that the 8" zipper on the back of the jacket is around the wrong way to connect it to the Bikers Gear leather pants or my RJays pants. Last week I found the stitching holding the velcro on the cuff is coming undone. I'm disappointed with the quality control and certainly expected it to be in better condition at this stage. On contacting Bikers Gear I was advised to get repairs done locally as the postage would be expensive.

The jacket has back, shoulder and elbow armour. There is a thermal liner vest. It's cool enough on warm days but there are no vents in it at all so hot days are got.

Bikers Gear touring pants. These pants are long (the problem isn't with the pants as such - I'm just not my correct height to weight ration where I would be 7' tall) and have a mesh liner. They have padded knees and removable knee armour which I have removed as it protected my ankles. There is also hip armour. While I'm disappointed with the jacket these pants are quite good. No stitching is coming undone and they feel better made than the jacket (which really shouldn't be hard). They are comfortable even with my knee armour underneath. There are no knee sliders or provision to fit them but they are for touring rather than sport riding.

Helmet - RJays Tourtech flip-face. I love this - easy to have a drink at the side of the road without having to take it off. Great to put on without taking my glasses off. It's vents work great in summer and is what I'd consider breezy. I have clear, dark tint and iridiem visors for it. Visor change is toolless but fiddly for the tinted ones because you can't see the locating tabs. Liner is removable. Fastens with "D" rings and the straps are long enough for thick necked people like me. It's weight is pretty average but I have never had a headache after riding with it. I always wear earplugs and a cotton balaclava and the helmet is comfortable.

Boots - Falco Axis. Probably best described as touring boots. Simple zip with velcro fastener. Shin and ankle protection seems to be very good. Boots are made in Italy. Tight when I first bought them but can wear them all day now. Has a gear change pad on the left boot. For $199 I think they are great value and am considering purchasing another pair.

Gloves -
RJays Summer gloves. Short (not gauntlet style) and perforated leather. Cool in summer. Has padding above the knuckles but not plastic or carbon fibre. Comfortable and easy to put on and use. Velcro fastener is good. Not waterproof but they dry fast. $49 at MCAS

Rivet winter gloves. Thinsulate and Hipora used in construction. Again just padding across the knuckles. These gloves are warm and not so thick that they interfere with bike controls. Gauntlet style with velcro fastener around the wrist. Have not tried them in the rain yet. Leather construction in the palm, fingers and finger tips. Can't remember the price but they are a good fit for me and very comfortable.

Knee armour - Thor Quadrant knee armour. I bought these as the removable armour in pants is never in the right place for me. Fastens with 2 velcro / elastic straps below the knee. These are comfortable, easy to put on and easy to wear. They fit under my textiles and leathers. They extend from above the knee down to my boots so the front of my legs are completely covered. These are designed for MX riding rather than road and I can find nothing to indicate CE approved or rated. Having said that I won't ride without them. I'd prefer to protect my knees anyway I can and these are better than nothing in my opinion.

I've only owned a bike for 12 months and been riding really for the past 6-7 months so I wanted the best gear I could afford. I'm happy with the textiles, helmet, boots. Gloves and leathers I'd like to upgrade.

These are just my observations about gear I wear and use. YMMV. :kuda: :kuda:
I don't like the term insane - I prefer mentally hilarious!
waynemorgan
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: ZZR600
State: New South Wales

Re: gear after 12 months.

Postby laidback » Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:41 pm

I have the same problem. Recently drove to Sydney to get some leathers - I rang one supplier and was told NO PROBLEMS we have stuff here to fit you. Drove 4 f*&^%$g hours down there to be shown something that would have fitted me when I was 15. It was too late to shop around then as I had to be back home that night. I will never buy anything from them again. :x

SO still looking for leathers for track days but can't find anything that fits me that is reasonably priced.
Roady - ZRX1200R
Tracky - ZX9R F1 Team Jerry Atric

I've reached the age where 'happy hour' is a nap.
laidback
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZRX

Postby Gav » Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:43 pm

waynemorgan wrote:Just a quick overview of my riding gear after 12 months.

I bought all my gear before I bought my bike - textiles first and leathers second.

Textiles -
RJays TourX Jacket - has a thermal liner and a waterproof liner. It's warm in winter and cool in summer and definitely waterproof. Has armour in the back, shoulders and elbows. It's a perfect fit for me and very comfortable to wear. Has big pockets one the outside and a waterproof pocket in the inside. Bought it for $299 and found it excellent.

RJays All Season pants (Stout version) - these are made for short people with a central expansion problem. Removable armour in the knees which unfortunately sits around shin level on me. Has a removable waterproof liner. I've ridden in the rain with these on and not got wet. They don't have a thermal liner - I wear thermal underwear under them during winter. With the waterproof liner in as well they are reasonably warm. Good pockets and very comfortable with velcro adjusters around the waistline. Fly button is covered in rubber so it won't scratch the tank. Has an 8" zipper to connect to your jacket.

Leathers -
Bikers Gear leather jacket. It's 12 months old and I've ridden less than 20 rides with it on. The cuff zippers are both broken. I've recently discovered that the 8" zipper on the back of the jacket is around the wrong way to connect it to the Bikers Gear leather pants or my RJays pants. Last week I found the stitching holding the velcro on the cuff is coming undone. I'm disappointed with the quality control and certainly expected it to be in better condition at this stage. On contacting Bikers Gear I was advised to get repairs done locally as the postage would be expensive.

The jacket has back, shoulder and elbow armour. There is a thermal liner vest. It's cool enough on warm days but there are no vents in it at all so hot days are got.

Bikers Gear touring pants. These pants are long (the problem isn't with the pants as such - I'm just not my correct height to weight ration where I would be 7' tall) and have a mesh liner. They have padded knees and removable knee armour which I have removed as it protected my ankles. There is also hip armour. While I'm disappointed with the jacket these pants are quite good. No stitching is coming undone and they feel better made than the jacket (which really shouldn't be hard). They are comfortable even with my knee armour underneath. There are no knee sliders or provision to fit them but they are for touring rather than sport riding.

Helmet - RJays Tourtech flip-face. I love this - easy to have a drink at the side of the road without having to take it off. Great to put on without taking my glasses off. It's vents work great in summer and is what I'd consider breezy. I have clear, dark tint and iridiem visors for it. Visor change is toolless but fiddly for the tinted ones because you can't see the locating tabs. Liner is removable. Fastens with "D" rings and the straps are long enough for thick necked people like me. It's weight is pretty average but I have never had a headache after riding with it. I always wear earplugs and a cotton balaclava and the helmet is comfortable.

Boots - Falco Axis. Probably best described as touring boots. Simple zip with velcro fastener. Shin and ankle protection seems to be very good. Boots are made in Italy. Tight when I first bought them but can wear them all day now. Has a gear change pad on the left boot. For $199 I think they are great value and am considering purchasing another pair.

Gloves -
RJays Summer gloves. Short (not gauntlet style) and perforated leather. Cool in summer. Has padding above the knuckles but not plastic or carbon fibre. Comfortable and easy to put on and use. Velcro fastener is good. Not waterproof but they dry fast. $49 at MCAS

Rivet winter gloves. Thinsulate and Hipora used in construction. Again just padding across the knuckles. These gloves are warm and not so thick that they interfere with bike controls. Gauntlet style with velcro fastener around the wrist. Have not tried them in the rain yet. Leather construction in the palm, fingers and finger tips. Can't remember the price but they are a good fit for me and very comfortable.

Knee armour - Thor Quadrant knee armour. I bought these as the removable armour in pants is never in the right place for me. Fastens with 2 velcro / elastic straps below the knee. These are comfortable, easy to put on and easy to wear. They fit under my textiles and leathers. They extend from above the knee down to my boots so the front of my legs are completely covered. These are designed for MX riding rather than road and I can find nothing to indicate CE approved or rated. Having said that I won't ride without them. I'd prefer to protect my knees anyway I can and these are better than nothing in my opinion.

I've only owned a bike for 12 months and been riding really for the past 6-7 months so I wanted the best gear I could afford. I'm happy with the textiles, helmet, boots. Gloves and leathers I'd like to upgrade.

These are just my observations about gear I wear and use. YMMV. :kuda: :kuda:

Just a quick overveiw..?
Gav
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: Don't have one

Postby smithy5 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:00 pm

laidback1952 wrote:I have the same problem. Recently drove to Sydney to get some leathers - I rang one supplier and was told NO PROBLEMS we have stuff here to fit you. Drove 4 f*&^%$g hours down there to be shown something that would have fitted me when I was 15. It was too late to shop around then as I had to be back home that night. I will never buy anything from them again. :x

SO still looking for leathers for track days but can't find anything that fits me that is reasonably priced.

Not sure, but from what you are saying you might be like me, short on legs and good with ya tucker :lol: :lol: ..........

I had the same problem looking for leathers, everything seemed to fit skinny people and so I kept going up in sizes to get the belly in... I'm only a 32"-34" waist, but a short arse..... most of the big name brands were not suitable for size. I ended up picking up a superseeded Joe Rocket GPX 2 piece suit for $599 from Mat Mladin imports. Fits good and real good on an empty stomach :lol:.... I just rang them and they sent a few different sizes to a dealer of my choice nearer my home for me to try on. Give em a call, they probably have a dealer down your way. Although they now sell direct to the public so maybe things have changed........................ Find them here................ http://www.bikegearwarehouse.com.au/
2013 Triumph Thunderbird 1700 Storm
Suzuki 1300 LillBusa Ute
Serviced by Allfixed Automotive Castle Hill PH: (02) 9634 1455
SRT Survivor & Oficial Photographer
smithy5
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: Scooter

Postby laidback » Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:38 pm

Not sure, but from what you are saying you might be like me, short on legs and good with ya tucker :lol: :lol: ..........

I had the same problem looking for leathers, everything seemed to fit skinny people and so I kept going up in sizes to get the belly in... I'm only a 32"-34" waist, but a short arse..... most of the big name brands were not suitable for size. I ended up picking up a superseeded Joe Rocket GPX 2 piece suit for $599 from Mat Mladin imports. Fits good and real good on an empty stomach :lol:.... I just rang them and they sent a few different sizes to a dealer of my choice nearer my home for me to try on. Give em a call, they probably have a dealer down your way. Although they now sell direct to the public so maybe things have changed........................ Find them here................ http://www.bikegearwarehouse.com.au/

Thanks for that...I need to add 10" to the waist and only 175cm tall. All this crazy shit with sizes makes it hard too.
Roady - ZRX1200R
Tracky - ZX9R F1 Team Jerry Atric

I've reached the age where 'happy hour' is a nap.
laidback
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby Seth » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:51 pm

Sorry I know I'm a Newb but I think this is a great idea! Great for us Newbies or even oldies that are looking for new gear. Gear doesn't really show it's true colours till it's been used a fair bit so reviewing your gear after a certain period is a pretty good concept.
Seth

Bike: Ninja 250
State: Please Select a State

Postby DMonkey » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:43 pm

laidback1952 wrote:I have the same problem. Recently drove to Sydney to get some leathers - I rang one supplier and was told NO PROBLEMS we have stuff here to fit you. Drove 4 f*&^%$g hours down there to be shown something that would have fitted me when I was 15. It was too late to shop around then as I had to be back home that night. I will never buy anything from them again. :x

i cant talk from experience but i have heard a fair few ppl on here rave about these

http://www.collinsleathers.com/

Good price i think around 800 and they are normally pretty spot on with size and if not u just post it back to them and they adjust for free...
Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ...Holy shit...What a ride!
Team Crash '09', '10'
DMonkey
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: Don't have one
State: Victoria

Postby Nelso » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:17 pm

smithy5 wrote:Not sure, but from what you are saying you might be like me, short on legs and good with ya tucker :lol: :lol: ..........

Mate, both John and Wayne will have a much harder time finding leathers to fit than you or I. I consider myself a hard to fit category too but we are easy compared to them.

As for the quality of Joe Rocket gear, I wouldn't EVER buy them again. viewtopic.php?f=18&t=26226
I am still wearing the free replacements due to no funds to get a new set, but have very little confidence in them.
Green '08 ZRX1200 Road bike
Green 2012 ZX10 Track/race bike
Green '89 H1 ZXR750 race bike
'89 RMX250 motard race bike
2015 YZ450
2017 KTM EXC300
Nelso
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby smithy5 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:09 pm

Nelso wrote: As for the quality of Joe Rocket gear, I wouldn't EVER buy them again. http://ksrc-au.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=26226
I am still wearing the free replacements due to no funds to get a new set, but have very little confidence in them.

Yeh I agree, I wouldn't buy Joe Rocket leathers again, I would hold out untill I had more cash available. But at the time I got mine, everything else that fitted me was between $1,200 and over $2,000 for custom made. So for the money $599 Joe Rocket was my only option and I got what I paid for. Cheap shit :lol:
2013 Triumph Thunderbird 1700 Storm
Suzuki 1300 LillBusa Ute
Serviced by Allfixed Automotive Castle Hill PH: (02) 9634 1455
SRT Survivor & Oficial Photographer
smithy5
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: Scooter

Return to Riding Gear Discussion