Advice on gear for a learner

Riding gear and Clothing Discussion

Advice on gear for a learner

Postby clay » Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:58 pm

I've been given a 20% discount at the dealership where I've just bought my bike so I'm looking at getting some gear.

I think the best helmets he had there were OGK. I've never heard of them, are they any good? They're about $500 in store so I'd get a decent amount off. There's also some Alpine Stars gloves and Dririder jackets. Some other brands too but I can't remember. The place is like a 1.5hr drive away so when I go there to pick up the bike I'd like to know what I'm buying straight up.

Should I consider the OGK helmets, Alpine and Dririder gear? I figure the more I spend, provided it's on decent gear, will save me more with the discount. Or should I just pick up the basics on the cheap then go to a big motorcycle accessory place and purchase there?

Sorry for the basic questions.
clay
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: Ninja 250
State: New South Wales

Re: Advice on gear for a learner

Postby mick_dundee » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:17 pm

No need for apologies, OGK are a pretty good lid and as far as gear goes, purchase as much as you can afford, 20% discount is better than you will get most other places, that's assuming his gear is the same or a similar price as other places.. ie not marked up by 20% then discounted accordingly, certainly be no harm in looking around and comparing prices though.

Slap a location up in your profile and you can get more specific recommendations then.. at least a state.
A good mate will bail you out of jail, a true mate will be sitting in the cell next to you saying "Damn, we fucked up!!!"
mick_dundee
Team Naked
Team Naked

Bike: Suzuki
State: Victoria

Postby MadKaw » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:26 pm

OGK are a good mid range helmet. I'd have one.. :-)

What dealer did you get your bike from.?
Dave
2010 Z1000
ex bikes
05 ZX-10R Race Bike - No.77
95 ZXR750R M Race Bike - No. 75
98 ZX9R Race Bike - No. 000
zx6r, zx7r, GPX750, GPX500, lots of KX's.
I ride way too fast to worry about cholesterol
MadKaw
Administrator
Administrator

Bike: ZX10R

Postby clay » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:32 pm

Thanks, Mick.

I reckon I may as well get an OGK there then, assuming they're normally $500, like its marked at his store, I'll be saving $100 with the 20% discount. I'll get the AlpineStars gloves too, they look pretty sweet and I'll try on some jackets! I'm buying a house at the moment so I'm trying not to spend so much but like you say, 20% off is pretty good and probably won't be matched elsewhere.
clay
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby clay » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:33 pm

MadKaw wrote:OGK are a good mid range helmet. I'd have one.. :-)

What dealer did you get your bike from.?

Thanks, MadKaw. I think I'll grab one then.

Southern Highlands Motorcycle Centre, Gavin sold me the bike. Nice guy, wouldn't budge on the price of the bike but!
clay
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby hoffy » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:14 pm

dude, the good thing is youve just joined ksrc, that entitles you to discounts from our sponsors and proper service as well.

Our two sponsors I would recommend for gear would be Motorcycle Accessories Wharehouse MAW at Castle hill, ask for Sam, or Aitkens Kawasaki Liverpool, tell em your from KSRC and they'll look after ya. Alternative to those try MCAS at liverpool or Auburn, they may even have a store at campbelltown now.

I would not drive 1.5 hours to shop, check out whats in sydney mate, I have seen OGK's for $320 for the top of the line jobbies at helmet wharehouse yagoona, so $500 sounds exxy.
hoffy
Team Barge
Team Barge

Bike: Z1000

Postby hoffy » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:18 pm

ohh yeah, you could probably get a full kit from MCAS for about 600 to 700, helmet, gloves, pants, jacket, boots etc

You dont have to spend a fortune.
hoffy
Team Barge
Team Barge

Bike: Z1000

Postby MadKaw » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:31 pm

hoffy wrote:dude, the good thing is youve just joined ksrc, that entitles you to discounts from our sponsors and proper service as well.

Our two sponsors I would recommend for gear would be Motorcycle Accessories Wharehouse MAW at Castle hill, ask for Sam, or Aitkens Kawasaki Liverpool, tell em your from KSRC and they'll look after ya. Alternative to those try MCAS at liverpool or Auburn, they may even have a store at campbelltown now.

I would not drive 1.5 hours to shop, check out whats in sydney mate, I have seen OGK's for $320 for the top of the line jobbies at helmet wharehouse yagoona, so $500 sounds exxy.

Yep, good post Hoffy.
I don't know the guys at Southern Highlands M/C, but certainly shop around as bigger shops may have a much cheaper starting price, and as Hoffy said check the KSRC sponsors as they will give a 10% + discount to members..

Check here.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=319

-----
Dave
2010 Z1000
ex bikes
05 ZX-10R Race Bike - No.77
95 ZXR750R M Race Bike - No. 75
98 ZX9R Race Bike - No. 000
zx6r, zx7r, GPX750, GPX500, lots of KX's.
I ride way too fast to worry about cholesterol
MadKaw
Administrator
Administrator

Bike: ZX10R

Postby clay » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:28 pm

Thanks, Hoffy.

I'm not working tomorrow either so I'll check out one of those places, or both if I have time.

Where do you reckon I should go first? MCAS at Liverpool or MCW at Castle Hill?
clay
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby un_majstk » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:39 pm

yeah, it never hurts to shop around dude, i've seen OGK for approx $300, at Sydney City M/cycles i think.
un_majstk
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: Honda

Postby dilligaf » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:08 pm

look for a two piece suit rather than separate jacket and pants. less well known brands like rst or agv sport can be good value as can joe rocket. get a pair of draggins later on and you are covered for everything.
That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba.... Hunter S. Thompson.
dilligaf
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: Z900
State: Victoria

Postby tim » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:41 pm

What kind of riding and how much are you going to be doing?

This will influence either going leather or textile and style for your jacket and pants!
2008 ZX6R Special Edition
tim
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX6R

Postby clay » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:46 pm

tim wrote:What kind of riding and how much are you going to be doing?

This will influence either going leather or textile and style for your jacket and pants!

I'll be commuting daily to and from work. And riding weekends for fun. So I'll be riding a lot. I think I might even sell my car.

I'm looking at this helmet
http://thehelmetwarehouse.com.au/store. ... how_detail

this jacket

and these gloves

I'm going to go to this place tomorrow. I'll worry about pants and boots when I got more money, in the meantime I'll just wear my cargos to work and jeans on the weekend.

How do my selections look based on how much riding and what kind of riding I'll be doing?
clay
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby tim » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:24 am

Jacket - Sounds and looks great and good leather gear protects better than textile....... but.......

Leather, Fully Perforated and low racing collar = Wet and clammy when it rains 3 days in a row when you're commuting, and if leather gets soaked is stays wet and heavy.

Gloves - I've got these (last years model of same ones) they're awesome... will soak too I've got 2 pairs and alternate when one gets wet.

Helmet - Looks great, great brand.

Based on the advice I got I went for a good all-weather textile jacket with an after-market in-jacket back protector, and armoured textile pants OVER my work pants for commuting in winter, draggins in summer. Been warm and dry allover, and well protected.

Just got some leathers after almost a year for weekend rides, wearing pants to work under my textile jacket and trackdays.

I want a good textile ventilated jacket for summer and gotta find out about ventilated pants, last summer was too hot on the bike for me!

At the very least you'll need plastic pants over your work pants if it's gonna rain, and your sneakers and socks will get soaked if you ride any distance in heavy rain.

Me personally I Can't stand to ride without pants, and never without boots.

;)
2008 ZX6R Special Edition
tim
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX6R

Postby Glen » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:11 am

tim wrote:Me personally I Can't stand to ride without pants, ;)

Well that's a relief :)

Some good advice amongst this lot mate. The only thing I would add is to remember that good gear will last you a long time. , so when you're making your decision look for quality. It may cost you a bit more up front but if you can afford it you'll be set for years. If you can't afford it then drop a level in quality but make sure you're covered ie Helmet, Gloves, Boots, Jacket, Pants

There's lots of good helmets out there, try heaps on and see what fits best. We just bought a top of the line KBC from MAW for $339 and it's a really nice helmet.

Good luck and don't forget the sponsors, they'll all help you out.
It's really all about standing around drinking Dave's beer.
2008 ZRX1200 Greeeeen Roadie
2016 KTM Superduke 1290 Oraaaaange
2016 Seadoo RXTX300
Too many toys.......work is getting in the way!!!!
Glen
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZRX

Next

Return to Riding Gear Discussion