Back Protector Question

Riding gear and Clothing Discussion

Back Protector Question

Postby greeny » Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:59 pm

For those that wear one under your leathers.

Is it best to wear it next to your skin or over your T-Shirt

Cheers
greeny
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: Yamaha
State: South Australia

Postby matchan » Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:13 pm

I wear mine over my tshirt, easier to get off when you stop for a bit, cause I find it gets pretty warm with it on.

Matt
matchan
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: ZX6R
State: New South Wales

Postby nahima » Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:17 pm

Forgive my ignorance - is it worth the investment? note that in asking that question I'm not being a smart-ass but genuinely interested in the effectiveness - how do they help if your gear has armour?
Everytime you download music from the internet - god kills a kitten...
nahima
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby Nanna10r » Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:19 pm

At Morgan Park i wear mine Under my Kadoya Leathers & over my Thermals,over my T shirt, over my Skivvy under my leathers :roll:
For road use i wear it over everything & under my cordura or lrather jacket.
Cheers Brett
"Nan & Pop Racing"
Poppy Hops on .... CBR150 (Superlite) CBR954 "Blade"
Nanna Naps on .... MoriWAKI NSR85 (Motolite) ZX10R "Crim"
We may ride like Old Can'ts, But Phuk we look DOOG !!!!!!
Nanna10r
Team Ninja

Bike: ZX10R
State: Queensland

Postby Felix » Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:23 pm

nahima wrote:Forgive my ignorance - is it worth the investment? note that in asking that question I'm not being a smart-ass but genuinely interested in the effectiveness - how do they help if your gear has armour?

A guy down the hill from here was wearing one when he came of his bike and fell 8m down an embankment. He attributes his still being able to walk to his back protector. They offer a lot more protection to your spine. I really must get one, been thinking about it long enough :roll:
- Team Furball -

Felix
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: Suzuki
State: Overseas

Postby RG » Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:39 pm

A friends broke a vertebra(maybe more than one) when she high sided in a track with the back protector on. Yes, the back protector caused the damage.

But I would still rather be wearing one... :roll:
"...The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena." - Theodore Roosevelt
RG
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: It's not worth Mentioning
State: Western Australia

Postby aardvark » Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:51 pm

I wear mine under my leathers but over my t-shirt. I don't wear it when I'm commuting, but if I'm going for a blast up in the hills, I always wear it!
aardvark
Apprentice Post Whore :-)
Apprentice Post Whore :-)

State: South Australia

Postby SNR » Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:23 pm

If doing a track day.. you would wear a good leather suit....... good gloves..... good boots......good helmet...... have good tyres on the bike....... now if you had a choice of taking one of those factors out......... which one would you choose NOT to wear or have!!!!!!

Neither! the same could be said for the back protector, I love mine and it gives that extra feeling of secrurity. Helmets can be just as dangerous because the chin strap can cause neck injuries! Personal choice I guess, the way I look at it; is if it's good enough for the superbike/GP guys to wear one.............why not me.

snr :wink:
SNR
Warming up
Warming up

Postby HemiDuty » Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:51 am

SNR sat at his computer and wrote: ....if it's good enough for the superbike/GP guys to wear one.............why not me.snr :wink:

Bloody good point.

EDIT: Cut some fluff out of the quote.
Drmsby Middleton
DC Racing

Extreme Motorsports
M2R
Castrol
ColourSmart Chroming
Hi Side Leathers
Teknic
Sidi
DID Racing Chain
Goodridge
HemiDuty
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: Don't have one

Postby Barrabob » Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:12 am

Think of sliding down the road....or even tumbling then going back fist into a tree root or white post, a well made back protecter will have a decent lump of foam backing inside the plastic bit to cushion your spine should god forbid this happens to you.

Not to mention a reasonable hard plastic shell should you be sliding down the bitumen at 200kph, dont want your spine angle grinded either.

Over the tshirt but under the leathers :D
If I rode my bike at the speed of light, what would happen when I switched on its headlights?

Barrabob
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby the kid » Thu Sep 08, 2005 6:32 am

This thread has reminded me of a time I cartwheeled a KDX down a rock strewn road at about 60 kph and got up with out a mark on me . Had Body armour on .
Mental note . Buy back protector .
Any thoughts on good ones ?
Ummmm let me see
the kid
KSRC Addict
KSRC Addict

State: Victoria

Postby Glen » Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:05 am

I think they're good value. I wear mine for everything except commuting (not that I commute a lot). I don't know that it gives you more confidence but it's another thing to help reduce potential injuries in case of an off.

As for type there seem to be a heap around these days. I've got a Dainese with a kidney belt (very good but expensive)and a Teknic, which came with my last set of leathers. The Teknic is only a half length one though so I haven't used it except on dirt.

From those I've seen the RJays look a good item as do the Knox ones and I think they're a lot cheaper than the Dainese.

PS
Hey Billy, surely those stunning babyshit brown leathers that Mike Whitney was wearing the other day come with a back protector don't they?
It's really all about standing around drinking Dave's beer.
2008 ZRX1200 Greeeeen Roadie
2016 KTM Superduke 1290 Oraaaaange
2016 Seadoo RXTX300
Too many toys.......work is getting in the way!!!!
Glen
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZRX
State: New South Wales

Postby Nanna10r » Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:17 am

They have just been made Mandatory with all the Junior dirt bike categories up here in Qld.
Phil "Living Legend & Zed9 owner" has been altering, upgrading & repairing all things motor cycle related in leather for over 20 years up here. Quite a few of the Local Ksrc guys wear his own design/produced back protector. they come in 5 sizes all full length (shoulders to Tail bone) have a thick velcro waist belt & shoulder straps.
If your interested it will do mail Orders, mention Brett and ask for the KSRC Discount which gets them at $80 each instead of $95.
I dont "Have a play" without mine on.
Phil at High side leathers 32772226H. 0417 723799 High View Rd. Acacia Ridge. Qld.
Cheers Brett
PS He also sells sliders, armour, used leathers, 1 piece, 2 piece, boots. Has a pair of Robbie Bairds for sale atm. He attends most of the Bike Comps up here & does running repairs for the riders. Wealth of information on all things "scooterage" & loves a Gag or 27 :roll:
"Nan & Pop Racing"
Poppy Hops on .... CBR150 (Superlite) CBR954 "Blade"
Nanna Naps on .... MoriWAKI NSR85 (Motolite) ZX10R "Crim"
We may ride like Old Can'ts, But Phuk we look DOOG !!!!!!
Nanna10r
Team Ninja

Postby Smitty » Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:45 am

aardvark wrote:I wear mine under my leathers but over my t-shirt. I don't wear it when I'm commuting, but if I'm going for a blast up in the hills, I always wear it!

ditto
GOTTA LUV the 12R!!
Smitty
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX12R
State: Victoria

Postby BladeBoy » Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:44 am

Just like AMEX don't leave home with out it.
BladeBoy
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Next

Return to Riding Gear Discussion