Switch to full style
ZX6R, ZX10R, ZX14R, Ninja 1000 etc
Post a reply

Re: Best brake pads

Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:18 am

Oh I forgot I was also a dealer of pagid brake pads and brembo calipers if that adds any credability as well.

But all that doesn't mean that I'm right about everything. I made plenty of mistakes and I used to think that I learnt more from a mistake then from things I got right.

My motto always was " Nothing is absolutely true if there are exceptions and the trick is to find the exceptions"

Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:38 am

Tack wrote:Oh I forgot I was also a dealer of pagid brake pads and brembo calipers if that adds any credability as well.

But all that doesn't mean that I'm right about everything. I made plenty of mistakes and I used to think that I learnt more from a mistake then from things I got right.

My motto always was " Nothing is absolutely true if there are exceptions and the trick is to find the exceptions"

What you should know is that the stock zx12 m/c is axial.
The r1 mc he changed to is radial.
Placebo may be playing a small part too :-)

Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:47 am

yes the stock 12R m/c was axial or *normal* bike style. The Gixxer600/750 m/c is radial-pull. Nothing placebo in the effect Wattie, that new m/c just about stands the barge up on its nose. Greatest improvement to the brakes I made, regardless of what any theory says. The old m/c used to get such bad fade under extreme conditions that it would have lever travel almost back to the handgrip, the new one is nothing like that whatsoever. One-finger braking for all normal suburban riding and 2-finger for track. I would not use 3 fingers because it would just lock up the front end.......

The only thing that I can think of, is that somehow the leverage ratio of the lever on the radial m/c must be a massive improvement over that of the standard m/c ? I know that lifting the pivot point for the push-rod to the m/c in a normal car brake lever, will improve the braking of a stock m/c, all else being equal. It might be an old trick but it is still a good one.

Thanks for the background Tack, you are a lucky fellah to have all that engineering history. I am looking to improve the m/c on an old Series 3 XJ6 due to installing an LS1 - if you are OK with a pm or 2 on this, I might pick your brains about what would be the best way to upgrade the braking power of the old jag.

8)

Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:59 pm

Tack.......love ya work. It's a pity you have to post pics of your university qualifications in order to be believed in here......... I wasn't sure you'd tell the story in much detail, so glad you did....... :)

Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:34 pm

Strika wrote:Tack.......love ya work. It's a pity you have to post pics of your university qualifications in order to be believed in here......... I wasn't sure you'd tell the story in much detail, so glad you did....... :)

Pics wouldn't be enough for me. I'd call photoshop haha

Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:50 pm

Strika wrote:Tack.......love ya work. It's a pity you have to post pics of your university qualifications in order to be believed in here...

Why, who's not believing in here.???

Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:43 pm

Johnnyflash wrote:SBS DC's are awesome but expensive. Seriously under rated manufacturer!

Could not agree More - For the Track The DC compound is Insane. & long wearing
Post a reply