ZX6R vs 636R

ZX6R, ZX10R, ZX14R, Ninja 1000 etc

ZX6R vs 636R

Postby Kermit » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:50 pm

Firstly I'll start off in saying it was my first time back on a back on a bike since april, so this ain't going to be an indepth review.

I rode 3 bikes today, spending about 40 mins on each bike, 13" ZX636R, 12" 600R (identical to my old 2010) & 12" ZX10R in that order.

Immediately when sitting on the 636, it felt a bit smaller (narrow?) than the 600; which I found peculiar considering its the same frame as the 600R. All I could put it down to is fairing design, it kinda felt like sitting on a daytona 675.

The seating position is a little more upright on the 636 than the 600, you notice that within the first few minutes of riding, the bike also sits lower than the 600, which I found interesting.

I set the 636 in full power mode and least amount of TC, I wasn't going to find the limits each mode let alone on my first day out & question whether TC is needed on a 600.

Leaving the dealership, I didnt see elbows in the mirror on the 636. Rolling away this bike has gained a noticeable amount of bottom end torque compared to 600, its not 1000cc worthy but its not as gutless below 8k like its predecessor, having not have to search for that extra gear is refreshing.

The 636 has got some midrange punch, its like the predecessor except there's mwaor of it, no kittens were harmed in the process, the bike seems more quiet & less buzzy than the 600, engine refinement?

Brakes, I forced myself to do emergency stops I found that the zx10r & 636 stopped in a similar like fashion, 1st time experiencing ABS on a bike; not sure I like it. Not that this will make a big difference, the rear brake disc on the 636 & 10R are the same. Front brake grab on the 636 felt similar to the 600, rear brake about as much equal shitehouse grab.

Counter steering on the 636 felt easier than the 600. So I was assuming this bike would be great like the 600R in the twisties. I managed to find some hidden twisties, the bike does tips in and turns very well; perhaps to well.

Kawasaki have appeared to have designed the bike to be made very easy to ride, it inspires confidence; that's how I felt, even though I had not been on a bike in a while.

Giving into temptation and stop having disco nagging about trying a 10R, I had a go. Without going into the obvious, there is no replacement for displacement.

Why the f@ck are people looking to put PC, changing gearing etc on this bike; the thing is a beast in full power mode, being feather weight didn't help the lack of front tyre patch in the first few gears. Throttle control then became the key.

I found a few twisties, it turned and tipped in well but not as nice & easy as the 636. I think it was me, confidence being the issue. It then started to rain lightly, so I put it in power mode medium & TC two. More rain came so I decided to head back, dont tempt fate on the first day.

One thing I noticed, which I wasn't sure was right or not; the amount of heat disapating onto my left leg; it was becoming alot hotter as the ride went on with the litre. Then the right leg started to get hot, not sure what was going on. Something I would of expected from a 600 engine, not a litre bike.
Kermit
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: ZX6R
State: New South Wales

Re: ZX6R vs 636R

Postby Wattie » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:17 pm

On my zx10's the cooling fan is on the left hand side of the radiator and pushes the air out the side towards your knee.

On the 12 zx6 the fan is in the middle if I Remember rightly, which may spread the hot air out both sides more?
Wattie #55
ZX10R "The Crim"
ZX10R "Gumby"
Proudly Supported by Allfixed Automotive 9634 1455
sam & srt, survived
RGM, left a message
Wattie
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX10R

Postby robracer » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:39 pm

Wattie has it :D
robracer
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby Nelso » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:52 pm

And you won't feel it in leathers while you are moving from side to side cornering, so it's not an issue.
Green '08 ZRX1200 Road bike
Green 2012 ZX10 Track/race bike
Green '89 H1 ZXR750 race bike
'89 RMX250 motard race bike
2015 YZ450
2017 KTM EXC300
Nelso
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZRX

Postby fireyrob » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:04 pm

So how soon before you buy the 10?
09 ZX6R
03 Zthou
fireyrob
KSRC Addict
KSRC Addict

Bike: Z1000

Postby Blurr » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:08 pm

Like all things you get used to the power and you soon realise that the gearing is a bit off the mark.

You should try the bug or the crim where the power snaps on from the get go. The new 10's are a lot more linear
Chariot of Fury 50cc 2stroke Race bike
Team Gumby in red
SAM & SRT Survived
Blurr
Apprentice Post Whore :-)

Postby Kermit » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:15 pm

Blurr wrote:Like all things you get used to the power and you soon realise that the gearing is a bit off the mark.

I was refering to +/- teeth on sprockets for more acceleration, I know OEM gearing may not be suited to certain tracks.

You should try the bug or the crim where the power snaps on from the get go. The new 10's are a lot more linear

Someone has offered a test ride on a crim, I dont think my lack of weight/awesomeness is going to help keep it down.

fireyrob wrote:So how soon before you buy the 10?

Haven't made up my mind.

There are no green's left, keeping my eye out for used not much available, next shipment is next year.

Apparently white is the new green. :?
Kermit
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby Blurr » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:01 pm

I was talking about the same thing. The first thing I do to any 1000 roadie is drop a tooth at the front
Chariot of Fury 50cc 2stroke Race bike
Team Gumby in red
SAM & SRT Survived
Blurr

Postby young1 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:03 pm

Just check the colours & specs phil...the black/blue 10 is only avail with ABS in aust , not sure about the other colours. Test riding myself a week sat.
The boy Youngs disciplinary record this week has been nothing but deplorable.
12 650R Fully Juiced.
young1
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: Ninja 650

Postby hoffy » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:19 pm

You went on a test ride and tested the ABS and didnt like it ? :lol:

Ive done 36,000ks on the zed and used it once, by accident, on wet gravel..and it was over before i even knew what happened..if it affecting your normal riding behaviour your doing something wrong, or are so hardcore you are testing the limits of your brakes everytime you go out.. :lol:
hoffy
Team Barge
Team Barge

Bike: Z1000

Postby young1 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:22 am

The boys punting them around the tracks...with decent stats might not like abs,.. but for the average rider doing street & social track days its got to be a sensible option surely. In my situ ill defo spend the extra grand i reckon if i do jump up2 the 10, added insurance whilst getting used to balancing all that added power..its kicked in on the 6fiddy a few times & once helped me get back on the gas a shit load quicker 2 get myself out of troub.. so pros v cons comments from the A team would be appreciated.
12 650R Fully Juiced.
young1
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby Salty » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:34 pm

Where did you ride this selection? I walked into PS last week in Melbs and was told no demos of 10 or 636 as stock was slim.
'09 ZX6R Monster energy
Salty

State: Please Select a State

Postby Kermit » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:12 am

Salty wrote:Where did you ride this selection? I walked into PS last week in Melbs and was told no demos of 10 or 636 as stock was slim.

Kelens, bikebiz & SCM.
Kermit
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby born green » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:11 pm

young1 wrote:The boys punting them around the tracks...with decent stats might not like abs,.. but for the average rider doing street & social track days its got to be a sensible option surely. In my situ ill defo spend the extra grand i reckon if i do jump up2 the 10, added insurance whilst getting used to balancing all that added power..its kicked in on the 6fiddy a few times & once helped me get back on the gas a shit load quicker 2 get myself out of troub.. so pros v cons comments from the A team would be appreciated.

ummm not the A team.... myself, dont like em... my abs in in my right fingers :lol:
not really a believer in them for the road either, but im old school, and, well, just old, not like u young un :lol:
96 ZX7R roady
07 ZX10R tracky. to many mods to list here!
95 tickford XR6,
SO MANY KAWASAKI'S SO LITTLE TIME
born green
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

State: Victoria

Postby young1 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:46 pm

born green wrote:
young1 wrote:The boys punting them around the tracks...with decent stats might not like abs,.. but for the average rider doing street & social track days its got to be a sensible option surely. In my situ ill defo spend the extra grand i reckon if i do jump up2 the 10, added insurance whilst getting used to balancing all that added power..its kicked in on the 6fiddy a few times & once helped me get back on the gas a shit load quicker 2 get myself out of troub.. so pros v cons comments from the A team would be appreciated.

ummm not the A team.... myself, dont like em... my abs in in my right fingers :lol:
not really a believer in them for the road either, but im old school, and, well, just old, not like u young un :lol:

I said the boys with decent stats greeners.. :. It could give u the confidence to go a bit harder :D
Last edited by young1 on Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
12 650R Fully Juiced.
young1
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Next

Return to ZX-R / Ninja Current Model Discussion