Switch to full style
ZZR 250, 600, 1100 & 1200
Post a reply

ZZR250 cold start

Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:10 pm

Just after some advice on the proper way to start my '94 ZZR250 when its cold. Last night it was pretty chilly and the bike wouldn't start. By pulling the choke all the way to full the bike started and was idling at about 6k (redlines at 14K so I guess thats not too high, just loud!). I let it idle for maybe 5 minutes at that speed but as soon as i moved the choke even the slightest amount the bike would just die. If I tried to give it a little throttle it would die. I kept trying and after about 20 minutes the battery finally went flat!

I went to get a jump pack and came back five minutes later. I tried one more time before using the jump pack, the choke was off, and the bike started first go. It doesn't normally have any problems starting unless it is very cold. Maybe I'm not using the choke correctly or maybe the bike needs to be looked at. I figured I'd ask here as I'm sure plenty of others have had similar issues. Coming into winter I need to get this sorted.

Re: ZZR250 cold start

Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:18 pm

Bugga of a problem, never use full choke for a start... you shouldnt need it... just a little to start then back it off to idle when warming up
a new set of plugs & a carbie overhaul (clean) should fix the problem & a trickle charger on the battery overnight will help with full cranking from the starter motor.

Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:51 pm

robracer wrote:Bugga of a problem, never use full choke for a start... you shouldnt need it... just a little to start then back it off to idle when warming up
a new set of plugs & a carbie overhaul (clean) should fix the problem & a trickle charger on the battery overnight will help with full cranking from the starter motor.

+1
when i had one i used to let it sit at abou 3-4000 rpm for a minute then back it off

Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:05 pm

6000 rpm cold cold engine...............ouch!
I usual put choke at full to start but as soon as she fire I drop it back to idle 2 1/2 - 3000
and only for a couple of mins max, then she usually purr's with choke off :)

Fri May 01, 2009 5:04 pm

Maybe the choke needs adjustment. Once it's warmed up it starts ok however it won't start unless the choke is fully on, and thats at 6000rpm. If I try and move the choke back even the slightest nudge it will die. I'm guessing that it should have a fair bit more play than that.

Fri May 01, 2009 5:35 pm

Lube it up a bit.
At the carby slide and the cable as well 8)

Sun May 03, 2009 5:41 pm

check that the carbys are sitting in the manifolds properly as they have a habit of dropping down if so they will suck to much air turn the manifolds around remount them and push air box uptight so there is no movement

Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:57 pm

Took the bike in to get looked at, mainly because the battery died and I was too busy to replace it myself. Turns out the carby's were filthy and now the bike is much easier to start from cold. I have a choke that I can adjust finally!

Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:05 pm

I was going to suggest the carbs were choked with shit. glad to hear it works correctly now

Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:12 pm

mine had this problem too, one of the carby's was flooding somehow, i had to push start it everywhere, and the battery wasnt charging which ment if it doesnt start first time come back in an hour, i was suprised to learn that it was missing 2 rubber seals and the other 2 were stiff and hard, the ones round the carbys i think, i was suprised at the difference a good service did, now it starts at 3am first time everytime!

Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:46 pm

rukku wrote:now it starts at 3am first time everytime!

I really don't want to find out how well my bike starts at 3am! :?

Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:24 am

When i had my ZZR-250 2003(pinnacle, supreme, awesome, inspiring, magnificent) motor cycle (the brainwashing is still evident!!). Had it regularly serviced and regularly run.
The guy at the shop said ""Half choke, with two quick twists of the throttle, for prime, and she'll start first time, every time"". He was right. Never had an issue even at 2 degrees in the morning. 3-5 minutes and she was purring. Hope it helps

Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:39 am

I will soon be seeing if my ZZR250 is going to turn over when i hook up a car battery to it.
first i have to drain the fuel completely and flush some fresh premium through it, if i can work out how to do that.

sounds like i might be best off taking it in for a service of the carbies, after sitting for around 2 years untouched, it may well need it...
Post a reply