ZZR 250, 600, 1100 & 1200
Post a reply

zzr250 mods

Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:18 pm

Just bought a zzr 250 since i will be keeping it for awhile just wondering if anyone knows any mods to get a bit more out of them. I know its only a 250 but it will be with me for awhile

Re: zzr250 mods

Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:38 pm

Not much you can do with them really. I believe there was someone out there doing a 2-1 exhaust a while ago, but there is nothing beneficial in that aside from looks.
Perhaps if it is going to be with you a while then you should put your money towards regular servicing with quality fluids and parts provided by a professional mechanic. A zzr250 is what it is - a great little 250 that will teach you many things and provide you with great experiences with no real fuss or bother.
Howsabout a pic and some details?

Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:29 pm

02 model 2000ks still workin out how to put pics on here not to computer literate

Tue Dec 25, 2007 11:42 am

click the attach tab in the post page,then navigate to the pic,click add, then submit

Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:45 pm

ok here we go off the top of my head...

-the stock tyres are RUBBISH. the compound is too hard. i got BT45s and it made a HUGE HUGE difference.

-unscrew the little knobs on the footpegs, these are the first thing to scrape when u corner hard, and it can be damn dangerous
-next thing to scrape is the centrestand, take that off too. the only thing its good for is when you're servicing the bike. just bolt it back on when you service your bike, u'll still have the sidestand.

-make sure your rear shockie is adjusted properly. most people have it too soft, and it gets softer with age.

-if you want more acceleration or want to make it easier to do wheelies, then change sprockets. get a bigger rear sprocket or smaller front sprocket.

-get a braided front brake line. this will massively improve your braking. the lever will go from being mushy to being very firm. it will also give you much more control, making stoppies a far more sensible possibility.

-remove the rear footpegs if you don't use them.

The next part is a bit more costly and a bit more hassles:
-when you get real hardcore in your cornering, the exhausts will scrape. that's when you should change to a 2 into 1 system with a higher carbon fibre muffler. you'll save heaps of weight too.
-if you do this then you might as well rip out the air box, replace it with 2 pod filters and get the carbies rejetted, consider tuning it for premium fuel.

-Now if you want to raise the back of the bike, think about getting shorter dog bones or putting in a zx9 c1 shock (some modification to the bracket is required)

That's all I can think of for now... all that stuff is cheap, with the exception of the exhaust and perhaps the jetting and tuning.

By the time you've done all that your ZZR is going to be quite different.

Long live the ZZR250!

Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:35 pm

Hiya

I had the exhuast de-baffled (I think thats the term) and then on the dyno. It fixed the flat spot I have and gave it an overall 20% increase in power from memory.

This might help.

Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:32 am

Good Reply Mikk, lots of handy tips in there mate.

Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:08 pm

NortikittyKat wrote:Hiya

I had the exhuast de-baffled (I think thats the term) and then on the dyno. It fixed the flat spot I have and gave it an overall 20% increase in power from memory.

This might help.

What was involved in de-baffling it?

Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:51 pm

mikk wrote:-next thing to scrape is the centrestand, take that off too. the only thing its good for is when you're servicing the bike. just bolt it back on when you service your bike, u'll still have the sidestand.

then the side stand then the nuts that hold the mufflers i found out today :D

seriously tho, i would be thinking twice before changing the sprockets.

Sacrificing top speed to a small amount of acceleration may not be worth it on these bikes, I know you are probably saying that "i wont be going fast" but at 100km/h the bike should sit on 8.5-9k rpm, 1-2 teeth less could see that jump to 10-11k rpm

these little engines were made to be punished, but do you really want to be riding around with the poor thing screaming the whole time?

Rubber for these things ive personally found the Michelin Pilot Activ's to be pretty good. so far they have survived 3000km and a track day, and they have plenty of meat left on the bone.
They get hot quick and stay hot, and they are grippy for a small two fiddy tyre.

Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:47 pm

the old zzr250 i had i changed the front sprocket for one with -1 teeth.....it is a bit revvy but to go anywhere on them they have to rev......i sold the bike to a friend and it has done over 100,00k and still going strong.....just keep the maintaince up on them and it'll stay good!!! as for more performance i didn't really do that cause it was only a temporary bike till i got the zx6 :twisted:
Post a reply