ZZR600 rear shock replacement - with what?

ZZR 250, 600, 1100 & 1200

ZZR600 rear shock replacement - with what?

Postby darklightBoy » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:28 pm

My ZZR600 is doing it's best hot rod impersonation, aka no rear damping at all. The thing sits squat. Obviously a new shock is in order, but I'm not after something brand new, so I'm looking on eBay.

Of course there's not many "ZZR600 rear shocks" out there on eBay, but what others will fit? I've got my eye on one from a 98/99 ZX-6R, but I don't know if it fits, or how to find out if it does.

Anyone able to help?
darklightBoy

Bike: ZZR600
State: Victoria

Re: ZZR600 rear shock replacement - with what?

Postby ty » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:40 am

Dunno specifics - I think Phil's your man here.
Ohlins make a shock for the ZZR which I hear is the best. Dunno what might fix from other models though.
ty
If you have no fear, you're not going fast enough.
Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level, then beat you with experience.
ty
Team Ninja

Bike: Honda
State: New South Wales

Postby Rusty » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:44 am

I had mine reconditioned (rechromed shaft, new seals, new bump stop, new spring and valving to suit my weight, fresh oil and gas) which cost me less than $300. Like you, I couldn't find one I was willing to drop money on. Trouble is now the front end feels doughy!

I've since bought an Ohlins that came up at the right price (but needs new seals, oil and gas). I've not been able to find another shock that will fit without linkage and/or dogbone modification. The closest is one from a ZXR750 that's 15mm too short (from memory) which means about an inch lower at the back after the linkage is taken into account. That shock would need to be revalved and resprung and the dogbones shortened to compensate. The ZZR's shock is 375mm eye-to-eye (again from memory).
Rusty
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: ZX9R
State: Queensland

Postby Daisy » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:11 pm

I've just obtained one from a zzr1200 with the remote preload adjuster. There are a couple of modifications needed to make it work - like changing one or more of the bearings in the bottom linkage, and changing the dogbones. I bought it as a kit with the mods already done.
My original shock is ok, it just isn't up to carrying two of us all over the countryside.
dutchy wrote:White bikes are awesome :grin:
Daisy
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: GTR
State: South Australia

Return to ZZR Discussion