ZZR250 fuel in oil & mods - exhaust

ZZR 250, 600, 1100 & 1200

ZZR250 fuel in oil & mods - exhaust

Postby bluebirdnate » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:18 pm

I know you're all thinking "here we go again...", but don't worry, I'm not going to ask how to get more power out of the thing because I know it's not going to happen. I am new to bikes, but I do have some mechanical knowledge so it's not all completely out of my reach. :D

All I want to know is if anyone knows if the carbon Musarri slip ons advertised on ebay are any good? I don't care about power, I just wouldn't mind tidying up the appearance of the bike and maybe making it a bit louder so there's a bit more of a chance all the mindless idiots out there actually realise I'm there. It wouldn't be as much of an issue if the bike was a brighter colour, but it's black... I reckon it looks great but I'm willing to bet it'll disappear on the road pretty easy. I know I probably shouldn't spend money on the thing, but I figured I might as well make it something resembling a bike I would like to ride for those 3+ years I have to wait for my ZZR1100.

Also, would I need to jet & tune the carbies to suit the mufflers?

The other (and probably more important) thing. I bought the bike very cheap with a seized crank and have a new (well, old) motor to go into it - I want to make sure the new one doesn't go bang. I've been led to believe that these things perish in the fuel taps, overfill the float chamber them get petrol in the oil as a result? My tap doesn't seem to seep at all unless I put it on Primary, which from my understanding is an always-on position that bypasses the vacuum shut off? If nothing comes out when it's on On & Reserve, then it does flow when it's on Primary, does that mean my fuel tap is OK?
Otherwise, I am thinking it could possibly be the carbies being gummed up or the needle & seats being worn and leaking into the sump?

Any other ideas as to what could have killed the first motor?

Any help would be much appreciated.
'91 ZZR250 (project, hopefully on the road soon)
'82 Datsun Bluebird Daily
'84 Bluebird TRX (rally car project)
'64 Holden EH
bluebirdnate

Bike: ZZR250
State: New South Wales

Re: ZZR250 fuel in oil & mods - exhaust

Postby BrettZZR » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:23 am

ON - The fuel tap is on when the engine is running (ie vacuum is present).
REServe - the setting to get that last little bit out of the tank to get you to the nearest servo.
PRIme - the tank is full but the carbs are newly assembled, so it will not start at all as ther is not fuel in them so you cannot get any vacuum to turn the tap on so that it could keep on running if only it would run in the first place which it wont because the carbs... Okay - just prime it, okay?

Heh!

Sounds fine to me.

If the diaphragm fails you can get fuel in the oil.
If you can find one, get a used non vacuum tap.
ON / RES / OFF always makes sense to me.

(-B'
BrettZZR
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZZR1100
State: Western Australia

Re: ZZR250 fuel in oil & mods - exhaust

Postby bluebirdnate » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:13 pm

Ah, OK, I was close. :) Having only dealt with dirt bikes, I've never even seen a vacuum tap before... It's all pretty new to me!

Any idea if there were specific models with the normal/non vacuum tap? I'd much rather get rid of the one on it if I can, rather than try to fix it and hope it doesn't stuff up again.

The carbies will hopefully be cleaned out this weekend, and the motor might even get into the bike. Getting excited! :D
'91 ZZR250 (project, hopefully on the road soon)
'82 Datsun Bluebird Daily
'84 Bluebird TRX (rally car project)
'64 Holden EH
bluebirdnate

Bike: ZZR250
State: New South Wales

Return to ZZR Discussion