Exhaust for '05 ZX6R??

ZZR 250, 600, 1100 & 1200

Exhaust for '05 ZX6R??

Postby ZXRIN » Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:46 am

Hi

I am trying to decide on which slip-on I am going to put on my new bike dontknow.gif , and I was wondering if anyone else has put an aftermarket pipe on a 05 ZX6R?

I have looked at the Akrapovic, Micron and Yoshi products...
I have heard that the dual outlet Micron's lost power??? :shock: but I haven't heard anything about the others. I am leaning (heavily!) towards the Akrapovic but I would really like to know what people think of them and the other pipes on the market before I make a decision! :D

Thanks guys and gals!

Cheers, Corinne
Why tip-toe through life to arrive safely at death?
ZXRIN

Postby strutto » Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:40 am

Plasma Blue 636 has a Micron on his... He'll fill you in on it more I'm sure...

I guess it comes down to what you want out of it and what your budget is... For outright power, I'd be going an Akra full system, but they aren't cheap... For looks / sound, I'd be going a Two Bros, but once again they aren't cheap and not everyone likes the styling or can justify the cost for only a slipon...

I don't really like the Yoshi at all... Both the Microns look great IMO... The Akra looks damn fine but isn't much of a change from the stock look I don't reckon...

The other thing to keep in mind is if the FI light fix is included... Once you remove the stock exaust valve, the FI light will come on unless you restrict the movement of the servo some way...

Hope that helps!
1992 Kawasaki KR-1S and 1992 Kawasaki KR-1S - It lives again, no wait it's died again...
2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R Green - ~20000ks, 5 rears, 4 fronts... :twisted:
2008 Honda CRF450X Supermoto - Can I borrow some fuel?
2012 Honda CBR1000RR - !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
strutto
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby Glen » Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:28 pm

I've got one of the Akra street legals on the ZX10 as it came in the kit with the bike. Gives you the added advantage of being able to have the baffle in or out depending on what you want. Baffle in it doesn't sound a whole lot different from stock but out it sounds good, not overly loud. I don't know what they do with the 6 though.

I had a Yoshi RS3 on my ZX9. It sounded and looked great but it was very loud (excellent in traffic).

Between the two, albeit on different bikes, if I were buying one I'd probably go the Akra. Having said that if I didn't get it for nothing I probably wouldn't bother because stock on the ZX10 sounds pretty good.

This is probably no help to you at all, but anyway.

Good luck
It's really all about standing around drinking Dave's beer.
2008 ZRX1200 Greeeeen Roadie
2016 KTM Superduke 1290 Oraaaaange
2016 Seadoo RXTX300
Too many toys.......work is getting in the way!!!!
Glen
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZRX
State: New South Wales

Postby Nick » Mon Jun 27, 2005 1:16 pm

I'm looking to get a full Akra Evo from the States for mine, even with postage i'm still going to save nearly 2K off the asking price here!!
As for noise,well i'll guess i'll have to go and see john at crash Test if it's too much,failing that i'll just take it off and flog it........
A mate of mine has just got his through for his bike,took 4 weeks, and they put warranty replacement on the invoice and he got no extra charges this end.He's well chuffed,the pipes looked great,for about a week then he took his bike to the footy and some pond-life kicked the fuck out of it,cans and all.Bastards :evil:
That's the good thing about underseat pipes, i guess,a bit more protected and less knickable too,not that that's a massive problem here,but in the UK it happens alot especially with Akras,get back to your bike and the end cans gone :shock: And you're left with a loud ride home.....
The older i get,the faster i was..........
Nick
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ZX6R

Postby ZXRIN » Mon Jun 27, 2005 1:28 pm

Thanks for info!

I definately think the akra is the way to go, but I wanted to hear about other people's experiences.

I'm still keen to hear what Plasma blue 636 has to say bout the Micron....

I'm not really worried about price, my main concern is performance and of course, sound and looks. :)

I agree that the akra looks similar to the stock pipe, but I actually really like the look of the stock pipe!!

not good about your mates bike Nick!

I know what you mean with pipes going missing...A mate of mine parked her ZX9R at UQ in the undergroud parking and started her bike without realising some a$$hole had flogged her yoshi pipe (she reckons the sound was unbelivable in the carpark at night!!)
Why tip-toe through life to arrive safely at death?
ZXRIN

Postby samhasa636 » Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:17 pm

Nick wrote:I'm looking to get a full Akra Evo from the States for mine, even with postage i'm still going to save nearly 2K off the asking price here!!
As for noise,well i'll guess i'll have to go and see john at crash Test if it's too much,failing that i'll just take it off and flog it........
A mate of mine has just got his through for his bike,took 4 weeks, and they put warranty replacement on the invoice and he got no extra charges this end.He's well chuffed,the pipes looked great,for about a week then he took his bike to the footy and some pond-life kicked the fuck out of it,cans and all.Bastards :evil:
That's the good thing about underseat pipes, i guess,a bit more protected and less knickable too,not that that's a massive problem here,but in the UK it happens alot especially with Akras,get back to your bike and the end cans gone :shock: And you're left with a loud ride home.....

And dont forget import duties and GST... all payable on an imported exhaust. Sometimes it just isnt worth it. Ring customs first and check with them, they should give you a quote on the spot.

Anyway, I have the Akra Evo system. But it should sound very similar to the slip-on. if you want to hear one I uploaded a video here http://www.hcon.com.au/exhaust-comparo.wmv

For me, the best exhaust available for our bikes.
The Doc says my blood is green. Thankfully, there is nothing he can do to help :)
05 ZX6R Green Roadie
95 ZX6R Red Trackie
samhasa636
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby Ment » Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:24 pm

as im sure Plasma will tell you, he has the single outlet micron on his and i have to say it sounds fantastic.
Ment
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ZX7R
State: South Australia

Postby Neka79 » Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:31 pm

Ment wrote:as im sure Plasma will tell you, he has the single outlet micron on his and i have to say it sounds fantastic.

yup..ill back that up..looks horn, and sounds more like a 750 than a 600..geez it sounds good at tilt too, not as good as the stainy on my blade tho...hehehe
Neka
2006 Zeddy 1000
1996 VS series 2 S pak Ute
Neka79
Extreme Post Whore :-)

Bike: Z900

Postby zxsixr03 » Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:05 pm

Check out the Termigoni i think thats how u spell it but its an awesome pipe performance and looks or the Arata or i'd go this Akra but just slip on for more street riding as it would be the quietest of the lot...
Attachments
lavoro0113.jpg
lavoro0113.jpg (158.29 KiB) Viewed 3945 times
zx636_2.jpg
zx636_2.jpg (88.08 KiB) Viewed 3915 times
Built by craftsman, Designed by a genius, Ridden by a twat....
zxsixr03
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: ZX6R

Postby Barrabob » Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:42 pm

not trying to put down your akra but on kawiforums they got a extra 5 horsepower out of the 05 6r by putting jumper wire in the computer diagnostic box welll something like that but it stopped the exhaust valve closing at high revs and made a extra 5 hp in the top end.

so if the dynosheeet its compared to is a stock us bike with cat converter and the valve closes at high revs the aus spec bike would have more power standard.

http://www.i-hacked.com/content/view/165/45/

A link there for those that havnt seen it.
If I rode my bike at the speed of light, what would happen when I switched on its headlights?

Barrabob
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby Aussie Ninja » Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:58 pm

In reading that article the valve only closes again at high rpm, so it would follow that the US exhaust is the same as ours until that point. Therefore the only potential differences on that akro chart between them and us is the last few thousand rpm where we, in theory will have even more power as well as the gains had in the midrange. :D
Real bravery is being afraid but doing it anyway.
1998 ZX6R R.I.P.
2004 ZX10R killed by Roo.
2011 ZX10R
Aussie Ninja
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: ZX10R

Postby Barrabob » Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:07 pm

all depends if the aussie spec bike comes with a cat converter or not, their 04 had one and ours didnt dont know if the 05 loacl version has one or not but the us one definitly has and it would help to stop gas flow for sure.

I have seen articals on removing it with a big screwdriver and a hammer.
If I rode my bike at the speed of light, what would happen when I switched on its headlights?

Barrabob
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby Plaz » Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:34 pm

my 2c,

The Akro full sys would be awesome......but you gotta have a good realtionship with your bank.......same sort of story with the Two Bros and I was also warned away from them by our local Kawa dealer.

I am not a fan of the look or sound of the Yoshi....can't really say why but apples for apples it just doesn't stack up.

The Micron I had fitted still brings a smile to my face every time I start the bike, and at full noise is just sweet sweet music. Price wise I think they pretty much crap on the competition in the value stakes. I love the look of the single outlet I have and really like the look of the twin jobbie too.......less power, I doubt that very much. What manufacturer in their right mind would market an aftermarket performance part that reduces performance????.

The Micron does have the same Power Valve issue Strutto mentioned, but my dealer fixed that after fitting it (simple as sleaving the cables to restrict movement and trick the solenoid). As for those who say it makes the back of the bike look like a cats arsehole....I ask what the hell are you doing inspecting a cats ring to make the comparison??!!

Choose what feels right for you ZXRIN, at the end of the day your the one who has to live with it.

Hope this helps in some way :lol:

*late edit*
The back end look much better now the fender is gone :)
Attachments
DSC00384.JPG
DSC00384.JPG (150.03 KiB) Viewed 3882 times
Plaz
Team Ninja

Bike: Z1000

Postby Neka79 » Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:09 pm

Plasma Blue 636 wrote:my 2c,

I am not a fan of the look or sound of the Yoshi....can't really say why but apples for apples it just doesn't stack up.

:)

mate..they dont give a bugger about fruit...its exhuasts were talking abt..senile old bugger...
Neka
2006 Zeddy 1000
1996 VS series 2 S pak Ute
Neka79

Bike: Z900

Postby samhasa636 » Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:54 pm

beryl wrote:not trying to put down your akra but on kawiforums they got a extra 5 horsepower out of the 05 6r by putting jumper wire in the computer diagnostic box welll something like that but it stopped the exhaust valve closing at high revs and made a extra 5 hp in the top end.

so if the dynosheeet its compared to is a stock us bike with cat converter and the valve closes at high revs the aus spec bike would have more power standard.

http://www.i-hacked.com/content/view/165/45/

A link there for those that havnt seen it.

From what I have read around the place the jumper is only applicable to US bikes. The euros and ours are full power. The jumper was to limit power or something in order for the bike to pass their ADR equivalent (or something like that).
So it will do nothing for us.
The Doc says my blood is green. Thankfully, there is nothing he can do to help :)
05 ZX6R Green Roadie
95 ZX6R Red Trackie
samhasa636
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Next

Return to ZZR Discussion