GPX250 clutch lever rattle

All GPx and GPz Models

GPX250 clutch lever rattle

Postby unit » Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:46 pm

Hey all, I'm new here and have a GPX250. I did a search to see if there were any previous clutch rattle threads but I don't think I found any.
Mine just starts to rattle loudly when I hit 8,000RPM and it stops if I place my fingers on the clutch lever. Is there a way to get rid of this annoying rattle by a non-mechanically minded fellow such as myself?
unit

Bike: ZRX
State: Victoria

Re: GPX250 clutch lever rattle

Postby roadrider82 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:59 pm

make sure the bolts are tight and maybe even i little oil will do the trick
Always put your smile on. People will assume you are a crazy person and won't mess with you"
roadrider82
Warming up
Warming up

Bike: ZZR1200
State: Queensland

Postby Daisy » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:39 pm

Mine still rattled when the bolt was as tight as possible. You might try putting a thin washer between the lever and the bracket.
dutchy wrote:White bikes are awesome :grin:
Daisy
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: GTR
State: South Australia

Postby unit » Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:24 am

In April I took it in for its 40,000km service and asked them to get rid of the rattle while they were at it. One guy said he'd put some washers in and when I picked it up, the rattle was gone. About a month later the rattle was back and has remained since. The bolts seem to be tight and the in-out action is fine but the up-down slop in the lever is just excessive.
unit

Postby abvc » Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:50 pm

try use genuine lever
abvc

Postby unit » Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:07 pm

It is the original lever.
Or did you mean something else?
unit

Postby Gosling1 » Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:18 pm

maybe a new clutch lever bracket would help ? When the brackets flog out too much, its almost impossible to get rid of the free-play.......

8)
".....shut the gate on this one Maxie......it's the ducks guts !!............."
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Bike: Z900
State: ACT

Postby abvc » Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:36 pm

are you sure it's genuine? i used an after market lever once, and it rattle above 8k rpm, changed it to a genuinelever, it fits perfectly. if it is not the case, i think try others suggestion..
abvc

Postby unit » Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:00 am

I guess I don't know for sure that it is the genuine lever but when I compare it to the front brake lever, it looks the same. Interesting about the bracket being worn though...
unit

Postby bNiNja » Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:24 am

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/My_clutch_ ... the_engine.

It is common for the clutch lever to rattle when the engine is running at mid to high RPMs. It doesn't hurt anything, but it can be annoying. You can make shims from a soda bottle or margarine tub lid and slip them in the pivot area like washers to eliminate the noise. Margarine tub lids are softer than soda bottles and may wear out more quickly, so you may wish to use soda bottle material.

Insert the shim(s) over and/or under the lever between it and its holder.

Easy way to make clean shims: cut out a section of soda bottle (2" square or so) and sandwich it between two scraps of wood and clamp. Then use a drill with a 5/16" bit to drill through the first piece of wood and the plastic, into the second piece of wood. Drill a few holes, then remove the plastic and trim around the holes with scissors, making the ring about 1/8" - 3/16" in thickness.

My GPX250 does this too but I didn't isolate it to the clutch lever. However, I noticed when I put my finger on the lever, the rattle stops.
bNiNja

State: New South Wales

Return to GPX & GPZ Discussion