GPz600R ignition?

All GPx and GPz Models

GPz600R ignition?

Postby Katana1 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:58 pm

Hey all. My computer sucks! Eh? I have spark, bike will not even cough with aerostart and/or plugs rearranged! It has an ignition unit that has ZX1100 written on it. Will this do the job?
Katana1

Bike: GPz600
State: New South Wales

Re: GPz600R ignition?

Postby JonW » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:45 pm

How do you know you have spark?
Testing outside the chamber will show the coil works and f*&k all else. Using the ZX1100 module will not have the spark firing in the right way due to different ignition curves.
Go get a module from a GPZ600r or 750r may be imilar too.
Check leads, coil earths and all other connections are spotless. Buy new leads and plugs too, $45 will pull that up, big difference it will make once you get the right module.
JonW
Warming up
Warming up

Bike: GPz900

Postby Gosling1 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:56 pm

Katana1 wrote:.....It has an ignition unit that has ZX1100 written on it. Will this do the job?......

probably would on a ZX1100 mate ;)

as said by JonW - you need the correct igniter module for your bike in the first instance, then do the leads, plug caps etc.

Are the plug leads in the right order ?

8)
".....shut the gate on this one Maxie......it's the ducks guts !!............."
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Bike: Z900
State: ACT

Postby Katana1 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:05 am

Spark was tested outside the chamber. Have not had the time to do much more than that. I think I'll get igniter module and rectifier off ebay when I can. Bike has compression and motor seems ok turning over even thu no fire, no knocks or groans etc. I've still to get a manual so havent checked lead arrangement but they do have the cylinder number labels on them and presumably when sitting on the bike, cylinder 1 is on the left and 4 on the right as my other bikes are. Thanks for helping guys! I'll keep updating when/if i make any progress. Hey, at least it's keeping my off the streets! :)
Katana1

Postby Gosling1 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:21 am

Katana1 wrote:..... but they do have the cylinder number labels on them and presumably when sitting on the bike, cylinder 1 is on the left and 4 on the right as my other bikes are.....

thats the one - with 2 coils, you get one coil firing 1 & 4, and the other coil firing 2 & 3. If the 600R is set up like other old kawasaki's, then the l/h coil will fire 1 & 4, and the r/h coil will fire 2 & 3.

8)
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Postby Katana1 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:32 pm

When sitting on the bike, l/h coil is feeding cylinders 2 & 3, r/h coil is feeding 1 & 4. Gunna get a manual next.
Katana1

Postby Gosling1 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:18 pm

try swapping them over and see what happens......

getting a manual is a good idea as well......

8)
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Postby JonW » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:05 pm

$10 says the plug leads arse about.
Plug lead connections at coils should be from left to right sitting on the bike 1,4,2,3.
JonW
Warming up
Warming up

Postby Katana1 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:51 pm

Geez JonW, we are not all made of money, but OK! I have the carbies out at the moment so once I am happy with them I'll give it a go. $10 is probly 2 beers at the heights pub hey! I have a 600r igniter module coming from NZ this week since as per this thread but I am sure it will not be a total waste of money. I have heard that the smaller kwackas had coils feeding opposite to the bigger kwackas. And the manual I got on the computer seems to suggest they are right the way they are, but 2 beers is 2 beers! In early '89 i thrashed around locally on a red/charcoal A1 900r (while disqualified, unregistered, uninsured, I had my reasons). For 9 months I had to see $2.40 every single day. I was involved in 1 chase with the constabulary once per month plus a mate borrowed the bike and got targeted straight away. I was known but not nabbed untill I was dobbed in. If I has more funds, that is the bike I'd get. I raised the forks 15mm through the triples and it handled quite nicely. $2.10 past the Kurrajong Heights lookout down hill was normal. But I did like the 600 cause it was my intro to sports bikes, and because of the 900 as well, special place in me little heart for the kwackas.
Katana1

Postby JonW » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:41 pm

If you have a manual then you are half way there.
I have a hard copy Clymer and a soft copy of some unknown manual off the net.
They disagree about valve operation and position when setting the timing :shock:

Just goes to show you still need some nouse when playing with these things. Unfortunately with electronic ignition modules there is no way of following the circuit without a diagram as the circuit gets lost in the module. Having had my 900r apart several times now, I am familiar with all the timing marks.

Without looking at the bike and plying with the leads and timing, unless you had/have the same bike, you are just giving estimations.
Good luck and work logically, random adjustments of shit does not work :?

http://www.gpz600r.com/electrics.html
may be of some help
JonW
Warming up
Warming up

Return to GPX & GPZ Discussion