GPX 250 issue

All GPx and GPz Models

Re: GPX 250 issue

Postby Stace » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:02 am

Where in Melbourne are you living mate, I'm in Oakleigh and should have all that is required :kuda:
FASTER AND FASTER Until the Thrill of Speed Over Powers the Fear of Death
Stace
Team Bolt
Team Bolt

Bike: ZX9R
State: Victoria

Postby Jimmy37 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:26 pm

I'm in Boronia
Jimmy37

Bike: GPx250

Postby Stace » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:34 pm

Too easy mate. Your about 30 minutes max from my place. Let me know when the girl arrives and we'll arrange a time for you to drop over.
Stace
Team Bolt
Team Bolt

Postby Jimmy37 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:39 am

Woo that sounds great Stace, thanks a lot, I'll let you know when she gets here. I'm shopping around online for a carb kit, but I can only find ebay ones which im not too sure about :? can anyone steer me in the right direction?
Jimmy37

Postby Stace » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:25 am

I'd hold onto you cash for a little while longer mate. By all means do your research but hang of until we check the little beasty out.
Stace
Team Bolt
Team Bolt

Postby Jimmy37 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:30 pm

I have some more updates on this;

I finally got the bike down here (Melbourne) and she still wasn't starting. I asked my dad to try and kick it over before it got shipped and he said he couldn't get it started either. So I got right into it, and took the carbies out and took them apart. As we had already taken them apart a couple of months previously, and it had barely ran since then, they were quite clean. The jets had a small amount of gunk in them (didn't clean them previously), but other than that, everything was pretty damned clean.

I put everything back in the bike and tryed to start her up, but to no avail. Fuel is definitely getting into the carbs as i unscrewed both drain's in the bowls and clean fuel came out of both. So whats going on?

I can rule out the following;
Carbies are clean
Fuel and fuel tank/tap isn't the problem (clean fuel, new fuel tap)
Throttle cables isn't the problem (were snapped, since been replaced)
Spark plugs are brand new

What else can I try? I'm running out of ideas :/ Any help would be much appreciated ;)
Jimmy37

Postby GPZ_Jim » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:52 am

you could try cranking it with the plugs out.. see if u smell fuel and while plugs are out see if they spark..
GPZ_Jim
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: GPz500
State: New South Wales

Postby Jimmy37 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:27 pm

What would being able to smell the fuel prove? that fuel is getting into the engine? I'm taking the spark plugs out again today to do a compression test, ill give em a sniff and the plugs a spark as well.
Jimmy37

Postby Jimmy37 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:37 pm

OK I attempted to take the plugs out again, which failed as I could only get one out for some reason, so I didn't compression test either. The one plug I did get out didn't smell petrolly at all, 'twas slightly oily though.

I'm running out of patience and don't want to venture much further into the unknown in case I do anymore damage to the poor bike, and I have not the money for a mechanic to diagnose the problem.

Any more help/ideas would be much appreciated as I desperately need her up and running. thanks to everyone that's helped out so far :)
Jimmy37

Postby sempsei » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:03 pm

This all sounds dreadfully familiar. I have a 1991 GPX. In the end we replaced the fuel tap and got a mechanic to re-seat and needle both carbies and sync of course. Fixed.
sempsei

State: New South Wales

Postby Jimmy37 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:45 pm

did your problem prevent the bike from starting though? and do the carbs need to be in the bike to be synced? i am unfamiliar with the process.
Jimmy37

Postby Strika » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:52 pm

Without rereading the whole two pages, have you pulled out the plugs and turned it over to make sue you have spark?
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me" Hunter S. Thompson.
There are really only two questions in life. 1.Which way do i go? 2.What is the lap record?
Strika
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: Yamaha

Postby Strika » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:53 pm

Oh, also, will it run if you spray aerostart down the throttle bodies while cranking it over. That will tll you if fuel is the issue.
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me" Hunter S. Thompson.
There are really only two questions in life. 1.Which way do i go? 2.What is the lap record?
Strika
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: Yamaha

Postby Jimmy37 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:10 pm

Yeah theres spark mate. and no I haven't tried aerostart.
Jimmy37

Postby Jimmy37 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:39 pm

OK, So I have more updates on this. One of the vacuum diaphragms in the carbs had a small tear in it, so I replaced both of those. She then sounded like she wanted to kick over, but didnt have the battery power to do it.

So I went and got the battery charged up today, and still wouldn't start. So i remembered what got it starting previously; disconnecting the choke cable from the carbies.

Well hell it worked.

Although still had the same symptoms: Throttle response = disastrous: i could have the throttle 100% open and it would take a few seconds for her to roar, pumping the throttle open and closed would barely respond. And it was still a bit of a challenge to start her.
A new problem has now arisen, with petrol leaking from what looks like from one of the float bowls (clean fuel mind you) not really bothering me at this point; an easy fix.
I took the fuel line out of the tank and let all the fuel gush out of the carbies, and there was A LOT, and still more came out of the drains when i opened them, so I'm guessing the fuel height is now out of whack.

So i'm pretty sure that carbies is DEFINETLY the problem now. but what should I do? take them to a mechanic to get new needle/seat/sync/fuel heigh done etc? or just buy some good carbs from a wreckers?
Some advice on how to proceed would be much appreciated. ;)
Jimmy37

PreviousNext

Return to GPX & GPZ Discussion