Oil change on my 05 GPX

All GPx and GPz Models

Oil change on my 05 GPX

Postby Scottatron » Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:41 pm

Hello All,

Newbie member here, thanks for having me :)

I Just changed the oil in the GPX and am a tad worried. I followed instructions and let the oil drain for a good 20 minutes (The old oil), I took it off the centre stand and put up the side stand for good measure as well.

Now, the oil capacity as per the manual is 1.9litres. I would estimate that around 500ml ONLY drained out. It was absolutely putrid/black (First time oil change since I bought it, it has just on 4000km on clock - I bought with 3800km).

Now, I have put the 1.9 litres in, but am now a touch worried I have overfilled it (As per the 500ish that came out)

I did go up/down thru the gears and they felt lovely (Used to clunk a bit).

The small window on the side of the engine was completely empty after I drained it, and is now completely full.

Have I right royally farked this up?

I am not very mechanically minded as you can probably tell :)
Scottatron
Warming up
Warming up

Postby Lainie » Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:44 pm

I would sit it back on the centre stand for a while and check your little window again. If your oil is past the little marker just drain some out. :D

Oh and Welcome to KSRC :D
Lainie
Team Ninja

Bike: ER6
State: Victoria

Postby Scottatron » Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:47 pm

Thanks, not the most "jolly" of first posts I know, but I'll put together a much more "Helloish" thread soon :)
Scottatron
Warming up
Warming up

Postby Lainie » Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:48 pm

No problem at all. PM sent :D
Lainie
Team Ninja

Bike: ER6
State: Victoria

Postby mike-s » Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:31 pm

how was the oil level before you drained it? it's quite possible that your bike was *WAY* down on oil before you drained it.

It's rather tricky to screw up a oil change unless you over fill it.
If it hurts, you aren't doing it right.
mike-s
Apprentice Post Whore :-)

Bike: Suzuki
State: New South Wales

Postby Scottatron » Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:59 pm

Hiya Mike,

I believe the bike must have been low before I changed it, today was the first time I actually did some maintenance on it.

I have got the levels right now.

A query though, what is the most time efficient and effective way of draining the oil? Meaning do I let it drip out (Which takes forever) or is there another speedier way?
Scottatron
Warming up
Warming up

Postby mike-s » Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:01 pm

Well the best way is to run the bike for 10 mins or so, then let it cool down enough that you can touch it/the exhaust (hey hot hurts) then let it drain as itll be warmer andthinner.

other than that the best thing is to kick off the draining and go watch tellyor have dinner, come back and then fill it.

p.s. it seems youve got it sorted, btw the best thing is to change the oil filter too, given how low the oil levels got. could be all kinds of burny up shit in the filter.
If it hurts, you aren't doing it right.
mike-s

Bike: Suzuki
State: New South Wales

Postby Scottatron » Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:24 pm

Yup, I will change the oil again and the filter at around 6000km's (2000km's time).

If anyone knows the model of the filter I need to get (And if I can get it from somewhere like Repco/Kmart?)?
Scottatron
Warming up
Warming up

Postby BladeBoy » Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:26 pm

Scottatron wrote:Yup, I will change the oil again and the filter at around 6000km's (2000km's time).

If anyone knows the model of the filter I need to get (And if I can get it from somewhere like Repco/Kmart?)?

A Kawasaki Dealer may be able to help or http://www.mcas.com.au
BladeBoy
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Postby WRT_GPX » Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:10 am

a nice K+N oil filter is very cheap, under 10 dollars and seemed high quality, i forgot the parts number though. but any motorcycle shop should be able to help you.
WRT_GPX
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby Tenoq » Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:01 pm

Good thing about the GPX - piss easy to do oil changes and cheap! The filters are cheap, and if u change the oil regularly (3,000km) cheap oil is perfectly fine too. GTX2 worked a treat in mine for the 30k clicks I had it. ;)
Tenoq
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Re: Oil change on my 05 GPX

Postby Shifty » Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:32 pm

In case you weren't aware, the GPX250 has the bolt for the oil filter, plus a separate bolt to drain the oil. Make sure you did both :)

From memory the GPX20 has two markers on the sight glass and the oil should fall between the two. If the oil level is over the top of the glass then you have overfilled it. Overfilling can cause issues so I would suggest you make sure it is not overfilled either.
Shifty
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: ZX12R
State: Queensland

Return to GPX & GPZ Discussion