Replacing frame GPX250 - Need advice on how to disassemble a

All GPx and GPz Models

Replacing frame GPX250 - Need advice on how to disassemble a

Postby bNiNja » Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:54 pm

Replacing frame GPx250 - Need advice on how to disassemble and reassemble the bike.

I purchased a second hand GPx250 earlier in the year. Mechanically, she runs very well for her age (1987 or '88 GPx250 import from Japan. Model with dual front disc break) since the previous owner rebuilt the engine before I bought it. However, the frame of the bike is showing the bike's age (mostly, rust on the frame where the left foot bracket attaches to the bike). The rust made it impossible to weld the 2 bolts back into the frame. Instead of getting a welder to saw off the section of the frame and weld new steel, I decided to replace the frame. Seemed like a great opportunity to learn about bikes.

I purchased a very good condition frame from the wreckers with the intention of taking everything off the current frame and building it back onto the new frame. Since I was embarking on such a project, I decided to replace some things that seemed like needed replacing. I went to Team Moto Kawasaki in Parramatta; new front and rear tires, front & rear sprocket, chain, K&N air filter. Speaking to the person at Team Moto, he gave me some words of advice. He said I will need to take special care when I remove the front end handle bars because of the steering head bearings and the rear swing arm (I think that is what it is called) because of the bearings in that. If that is the case, would it be worth while to swap the old bearings with tapered bearings? How much would it cost for a set of new bearings?

It is not my intention to muck around with anything internal (i.e. won't be taking the engine apart etc). Just a straight swap of parts. With this in mind, how difficult is the job I am embarking on? Besides the bearings, is there anything else I need to be aware of? I have the service manual (well the GPX250 Motorcycle Service Manual Supplement, will I need the service manual? can someone send me a copy?) I will be taking the wheels and new tires to a mate's garage who has a tire changing machine. What order should I take the parts apart? I have already taken the fairings and fuel tank off.

How important are the torque values in the service manual considering I won't be touching anything internal? I only have a regular wrench set so will the old "turn until you can't turn any more, then another half turn" suffice for all the screws? I will be using automotive locktite, grease, silicone sealant liquid gasket on the screws as the manual says.

I am from the Sydney, Newtown area. If anyone has some free time and is willing to give a hand, I will be very grateful. There will be a case of beer in it for you :D
bNiNja

Bike: ZRX
State: New South Wales

Re: Replacing frame GPX250 - Need advice on how to disassemble a

Postby Slow and wobbly » Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:26 am

Steering head bearings are not that bad. When you take the stem out the majority of the balls should remain in position if there is any grease on them at all, some invariably always end up on the floor. A set of standard ball bearings from a kawa dealer is about $50-$60, tapered roller kit from $90.
As for the how to, easy. Stand the bikes in opposite corners of the shed. Remove one assembly at a time, clean, check and repair it then bolt it onto the new frame. First things first I would take alot of pics from all angles and probably start by getting a rolling frame, then consider wiring, then engine, then bodywork.
Have you spoken to your RTA regarding how the registration process might go given that the VIN and engine number don't match? Whats the history of the new frame? Make sure it's possible, and know how many hurdles there might be before getting too involved.
Good luck
I got a sweater for my birthday. I realy wanted a moaner or a screamer.
Slow and wobbly
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: Scooter
State: Victoria

Re: Replacing frame GPX250 - Need advice on how to disassemble a

Postby Johnnie5 » Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:46 am

Slow and wobbly wrote:Have you spoken to your RTA regarding how the registration process might go given that the VIN and engine number don't match?

wont matter at all if the numbers dont match

but the bike will need a blueslip as the frame is the determination of the bike so essentially you are registering a new bike

make sure you have the receipt for the frame and your own bike as you may get sent for an RTA inspection and will need to produce the docs in an effort of stopping rebirths

Slow and wobbly wrote: Make sure it's possible, and know how many hurdles there might be before getting too involved.
Good luck

yes make sure it didnt come from a bike that was a stat writeoff which would mean you could not register it again
Johnnie5
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Return to GPX & GPZ Discussion