Macarthur Park Canberra - 1981 meeting report.

All Old Skool kawasaki discussion - pre 90's

Macarthur Park Canberra - 1981 meeting report.

Postby Gosling1 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:15 pm

Gotta love a good dig through the library - while checking the 'Notebook' stories about the Coca Cola 800 in 1981 - just a few pages later on, is a story about the Macarthur Park national meeting held here in Canberra in early 1981. Phil will have the exact dates - like a lot of reports in REVS at the time, they didn't actually mention the date of the meeting anywhere in the report !

This was not unusual at all for REVS - the quick fortnightly turnaround meant that stories were often banged out really quickly and faxed to the headquarters up in Rushcutters Bay....without much in the way of editorial editing.....and with the amount of roadracing that was around during the warmer months - the reporters were constantly on the fly....

Anyway - this particular story is about the Macarthur Park races here in Canberra. Back in the day - and Phil will be able to expand a lot on this, because he was instrumental in getting these races off the ground - there were some suburbs on the southside that had all the roads completed - but no houses built ! These roads had been around for a couple of years in some cases.........perfect for short-circuit road racing.

This event also included some excellent results for Kent Miklenda, riding Shadowfax. No pics unfortunately, but the race reports tell the story......

8)
".....shut the gate on this one Maxie......it's the ducks guts !!............."
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Bike: Z900
State: ACT

Re: Macarthur Park Canberra - 1981 meeting report.

Postby fezzick » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:38 am

Thanks for posting this, mate. I know how time-consuming scanning and publishing is, so I really appreciate the effort. I have a folder that has every press clipping, every REVS and AMCN report and every programme in it if you want to have a lend of it. I lent it to Jim to use when he did the "Tracks in Time" article on Macarthur in OBA. It was an invaluable resource.
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left. Phil
www.halfofmylife.com
fezzick
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: Z1000
State: New South Wales

Return to Classic Kawi Discussion