Come from the shadows - the Shadowfax restoration.

All Old Skool kawasaki discussion - pre 90's

Re: Come from the shadows - the Shadowfax restoration.

Postby fezzick » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:05 pm

I should add that this project has never been about ego. It's been about restoring the bike to its former glory. The participation of others in the project has come as a complete (and very pleasant) surprise to me. I am continually stunned that so many people all over the world have 'adopted" it and feel part of it. I'm pretty humbled, too, that I've been unwittingly entrusted with its execution. I can tell you right now, there is NO WAY I would have been able to do this myself.
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left. Phil
www.halfofmylife.com
fezzick
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: Z1000
State: New South Wales

Postby s man » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:24 pm

Phil I think its carma mate, the bike has found its way to you for a reason, somewere someone knew you'd get it going, with all this fantastic help. So enjoy it mate. Just think 2 years ago you didnt even give this bike a second thought. Now its rising from the ash's. I just cant wait to see it & here it in the flesh. Its very much like my old Z900but with strange bodywork, but macanicly its much the same. I have a slight memory of it at Bathurst, I raced there is 81, & 82. The Arai 500 was the race that everyone did after all the title races were run & what a race it was! If you need anything just call. But you know that.
Oh I think the exhaust is an OBrian. The Walker had different headers, so my money is OBrian headers & home made muffler.. IMO ;)
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
s man
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Postby fezzick » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:44 pm

My money was on either, yeah, nice to have it confirmed, mate, thanks.
www.halfofmylife.com
fezzick
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby kawadave » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:48 pm

Phil...I'd be happy to donate the system I had on they Z1R.... minus the shipping costs.

Now the original owner categorically states its a Kerker...but I've never seen a Kerker muffler like it before,and its very restrictive as far as noise.

Maybe you could use the headers and find another muffler?...it has a couple of small dings underneath,but is a good solid system and does look similar to the one on the Shadowfax bike. :kuda:

Don't knock my turbo lag - it gives your naturally aspirated a chance..

2013 Motogp tipping champ.

83 GPZ 750 Turbo
78 Z1R 1000
80 Z1R Mk11
07 ZRX 1200r
83 GSX1000sd Katana

https://www.youtube.com/user/htmonaro
kawadave
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: ZRX
State: Queensland

Postby fezzick » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:57 pm

kawadave wrote:Phil...I'd be happy to donate the system I had on they Z1R.... minus the shipping costs.

Now the original owner categorically states its a Kerker...but I've never seen a Kerker muffler like it before,and its very restrictive as far as noise.

Maybe you could use the headers and find another muffler?...it has a couple of small dings underneath,but is a good solid system and does look similar to the one on the Shadowfax bike. :kuda:

Sold!!! Can you get a shipping costs from your place to Gos's in Canberra and let us know, that is awesome, thanks...See, it just keeps happening...it's amazing.
www.halfofmylife.com
fezzick
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby kawadave » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:07 pm

No probs Phil...is their anybody traveling or no of any freight company's we can get this from Bundy to Coldberra.

I sent the other "wrong" Kerker I received to Jake in Tassy ,aus post...it cost $150.00 :shock: fk me,it cost that to get it from the USA. :oops:

83 GPZ 750 Turbo
78 Z1R 1000
80 Z1R Mk11
07 ZRX 1200r
83 GSX1000sd Katana

kawadave
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Postby h.b.bear » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:21 pm

kawadave wrote:No probs Phil...is their anybody traveling or no of any freight company's we can get this from Bundy to Coldberra.

I sent the other "wrong" Kerker I received to Jake in Tassy ,aus post...it cost $150.00 :shock: fk me,it cost that to get it from the USA. :oops:

go to the rum factory and look for a truck that comes from around that area,if not get it to one that goes to tamworth in the next few days and i could get it to one of the boys whilst their at gingers and from there it should find its way back to gos,just a thought
h.b.bear
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby fezzick » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:32 pm

You guys are just AMAZING. I've just got a PM from another member who has volunteered to pay for freight if I need it. I think I might have to go and lie down.
www.halfofmylife.com
fezzick
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby kawadave » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:34 pm

LOL ,take it easy old mate. :lol:

83 GPZ 750 Turbo
78 Z1R 1000
80 Z1R Mk11
07 ZRX 1200r
83 GSX1000sd Katana

kawadave
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Postby Gosling1 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:36 pm

holy moly ! thanks Dave & HB Bear :kuda: that system would be perfect, I can get my exhaust bloke down here to do up a replica rear section.

When you need an address, just send me a pm ....

Steve I think you are spot-on about the headers - I have a set of chromed O'Brien headers that were fitted to the Black Pearl for a few years, and they have a bend around the oil-filter exactly like that system on Dave's MkII. I should take a close-up photo of the #1 pipe where it has seen a bit of tarmac once or twice over the year..... :shock: :lol: :lol:

That system was fitted with some unknown chrome muffler that fitted OK, but hung a bit low on the r/h side exit. It is now fitted to the '83 GPz1100 that I got a couple of years ago, and it fits this bike like a glove ! Much better, and sounds throatier as well on the big Geeper ?

8)
".....shut the gate on this one Maxie......it's the ducks guts !!............."
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Bike: Z900
State: ACT

Postby Lurch » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:15 pm

I'm blown away with this project. Phil and Gos have been keeping us all updated over at CR too.
It really has become a community project and it's great to see everyones involvement!
Lurch
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: GPz750
State: ACT

Postby fezzick » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:07 pm

Guys, you won't believe this. I spent nearly two hours on the phone today with Kent Miklenda, the original rider of the bike and the guy who is doing the fibreglass work for the resto. He filled in SO many details that I can't even remember what they all are. I'm sitting down with my notebook where I'm keeping all the stuff about the bike, trying to remember everything he told me. He has a VHS video of the ABC broadcast of the Coke 800 and it includes a segment on the Shadowfax. He also has a lot more racing pictures from the Coke and also from Macarthur Park. He is sourcing some Super 8 movie film of the bike that was filmed by a friend and he also has a lot of paper documentation, a programme from the race, a ticket stub and also a little plastic finisher's trophy that the team was given even thought they weren't officially classified as finishers. He filled in details about the crash at Bathurst and also how he got away in 32nd place in the Unlimited "C" Grade (the race where he crashed) because the bike was a pig to push start (push starts were mandatory then). He doesn't remember but he was told much later by a spectator who saw the accident that he passed another rider on the inside at Mcphillamy Park and the other rider closed the line just as he moved past and took out Kent's back wheel. he is getting hugely warmed up to the idea of completing the fibreglass work and is just blown away by all the help that we have been getting. Our "little" project just keeps getting bigger and bigger, it seems. ;)
www.halfofmylife.com
fezzick
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby kawadave » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:52 pm

Excellent Phil...it would be great to see some of that old ABC footage. 8)

83 GPZ 750 Turbo
78 Z1R 1000
80 Z1R Mk11
07 ZRX 1200r
83 GSX1000sd Katana

kawadave
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Postby fezzick » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:57 pm

kawadave wrote:Excellent Phil...it would be great to see some of that old ABC footage. 8)

He's getting it dubbed off the VHS onto a DVD.
www.halfofmylife.com
fezzick
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby yzr750 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:03 pm

How did the name 'shadoweax' originate?
yzr750
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: It's not worth Mentioning

PreviousNext

Return to Classic Kawi Discussion