The 2nd KR 2nd coming

All Old Skool kawasaki discussion - pre 90's

Re: The 2nd KR 2nd coming

Postby Gosling1 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:12 pm

the main weight saving when ditching the oil-pump is actually the oil-tank and its 2 litres of oil plus plumbing etc....

all up you can be looking at 2-3kg when removing all this, and on a bike that is pretty light to start with, well.......

But MiG does have a very valid point - if you are not racing for sheepstations, then retaining the oil pump will ensure that you are getting a flow of oil even when the throttle is shut. (and possible stop any seizures into T1 :shock: )

Short history lesson - back in the 70's, when the mighty Team Kawasaki Australia H2R 750 tripple Kwakka ruled the roost, these babies ran the factory oil-pump, AND a 30:1 premix !!! the centre cylinder was a *bit* prone to seizures, even when the jetting in the middle pot was bumped up in the order of 10% or more !!! So Neville Doyle used to run premix plus the pump......

Thats the reason you see so much blue smoke behind these babies in the old footage of races from back then........

8)
".....shut the gate on this one Maxie......it's the ducks guts !!............."
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Bike: Z900
State: ACT

Postby Sulli » Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:35 pm

I remember the H1 500 the flying smoke screen.
Before I got my license and I was doing my apprenticeship, the boss would pick me up and double me to work on 1 of these :D
For a thirty year old bike you would be hard pressed to find a new bike of similar performance ;)
Billy as far as jetting goes,matching of the ports should be a needle adjustment . if you "ported" the cylinders go up 1 on the mains.
If you do any mods like pod filters go up 1 size on the mains. If you put after market chambers on 2 sizes up on the mains.
Be prepared to do plenty of plug chops to get it right :roll:

Ardie will send link to uk site for cost of crank :P
Nostradamus probably got it right
Sulli
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: ZX9R
State: Queensland

Postby the kid » Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:43 am

Thanks for the tips Sulli .
Am running / was :oops: and my thoughts are to do away with something that might break . The drive to the oil pump is nylon and may strip or the pump could its self die .
Am going to take the bike to Martin at Hyside as he has offered to look at it before it gets stripped to try and work out what has gone wrong .
Only one side has nipped up , the other looks perfect through the exhaust .
My suspision is that I might have had a fuel starvation problem on the right side carb . When it first got carted back to the pits and the tank was off one of the in line filters was empty , the other full . Maybe not passing enough fuel through the $2 filter at high revs ??
To confuse the issue , after going out again and having things close up again :twisted: The water in the right side of the radiator was cold but the left side tank was hot . With the rad cap off and starting the motor the pump was working , air lock ???
A young bloke up here who has been very helpfull during last weeks rushed preparations with smart arsed comments noted lasted night when he helped me unload the bike that I would be happy that the engine had fucked up coz it would give me something to work on . What shits me is that he might be right :lol: :lol: :lol:
Attachments
spanners.jpg
spanners.jpg (61.33 KiB) Viewed 5199 times
Ummmm let me see
the kid
KSRC Addict
KSRC Addict

Bike: Yamaha
State: Victoria

Postby the kid » Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:44 am

That is NOT my piston and the spelling is not mine either . Rest is true :lol:
Ummmm let me see
the kid
KSRC Addict
KSRC Addict

Postby photomike666 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:13 am

I think I'll stick with the 4 stroke 600.

I'm sure you've learned more about bike mechanics in the last few months than I'll ever learn, but I just can't be dealing with that level of hassle.

I pulled the CBR out of the shed this weekend, first time in a couple of months. It started as soon as I remembered it had a choke :oops: and ran perfect as soon as it was warmed up.

Good luck with the rebuild mate, and hope you're back out on the track soon.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
07 ZX10R since new, tracky TBA, KX450F, 87 CR250 restoration, GT MTB - I've got serious thrill issues, dude
photomike666
Apprentice Post Whore :-)

Bike: ZX10R

Postby aardvark » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:05 pm

That post hardly counts as a full report Billy...... sort it out.
aardvark

State: South Australia

Postby the kid » Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:30 pm

Still in therapy Mate so no time for long winded posting . :lol:
Bike is now loaded up again to take up to the bloke who rebuilt the crank and got the barrels done . Am going to leave it with him to check out and see if he has any clues as to why it went .
A lazy 200 k round trip and kangas to keep an eye out for , happy days :roll:

:D
Ummmm let me see
the kid
KSRC Addict
KSRC Addict

Postby Slow and wobbly » Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:32 pm

aardvark wrote:That post hardly counts as a full report Billy...... sort it out.

He is busy heading 2 hours from home with the corpse to have an autopsy performed!
Perhaps expect a full and detailed report tomorrow whilst he washes away the trauma with a bottle of red and a keyboard in front of him. :D
I got a sweater for my birthday. I realy wanted a moaner or a screamer.
Slow and wobbly
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: Scooter

Postby Slow and wobbly » Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:34 pm

or perhaps he hasn't left yet...........Hi Bill wave.gif
Slow and wobbly
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby the kid » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:38 am

Make that more like 320 k trip . Nice night for a drive tho :roll:
Nothing to report yet .
Ummmm let me see
the kid
KSRC Addict
KSRC Addict

Postby the kid » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:34 pm

Barrel is fucked , off to SA for it again :roll: frequent flyers should pay for it tho .
An old set of barrels to go on to try and get to Wakefield . Shheeeiiiitttt :x
Ummmm let me see
the kid
KSRC Addict
KSRC Addict

Postby MiG » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:03 am

Have you heard anything good or bad about Electrosil? They do cylinder plating in Melbourne.
KTM 640LC4 Supermoto, Booya!
MiG
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: It's not worth Mentioning

Postby Slow and wobbly » Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:56 pm

Not being a smart arse here Bill but is it really worth sending them halfway around the world again?
Realistically if you were using it as a day to day vehicle and you were after the longevity that comes with quality then I could understand. But since it is to be used for racing and it is highly unlikely that it will make the next ten years and complete anything close to 10 000 kms wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to send them local? Afterall its only going to take another mishap to destroy one or both cylinders and put you back where you are right now.
Slow and wobbly
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby the kid » Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:23 pm

Slow and wobbly wrote:Not being a smart arse here Bill but is it really worth sending them halfway around the world again?
Realistically if you were using it as a day to day vehicle and you were after the longevity that comes with quality then I could understand. But since it is to be used for racing and it is highly unlikely that it will make the next ten years and complete anything close to 10 000 kms wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to send them local? Afterall its only going to take another mishap to destroy one or both cylinders and put you back where you are right now.

Its actually cheaper from what I understand and I have heard poor reports about local places that do this stuff . The only down side is having to wait . Since its a track toy , waiting isnt the biggest issue .
Going to whack a spare set of barrells on and new rings and we will see how it goes . Wakefield or Bust :lol:
Ummmm let me see
the kid
KSRC Addict
KSRC Addict

Postby Slow and wobbly » Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:34 pm

Bust I say!
The boys at BK were sad to hear of your misfortunes today - Franko did concur though that it sounded like an overheating problem and that should be your point of focus.
Slow and wobbly
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to Classic Kawi Discussion