The 4th gets a new addition.......

All Old Skool kawasaki discussion - pre 90's

Re: The 4th gets a new addition.......

Postby dub » Fri May 21, 2010 9:39 pm

MickLC wrote:
Gosling1 wrote: what's the go on Sunday ? I thought that was next week ? Is your 750 still regoed ?

8)

Old Dungers Ride is this Sunday Gos

GPz still has rego...father in law is up for the weekend as we're building a cubby house tomorrow, looks like he will be on Reddie and I'll be on the Zed :twisted: .
2004 Z1000
1982 GPz750
dub
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: Z1000
State: ACT

Postby Gosling1 » Fri May 21, 2010 10:28 pm

laidback1952 wrote:....Mate my manual shows B, C & F 9s have Keihin CVKD40 and E have Keihin CVRD40. The ZX7R had Keihin CVKD38.....

cheers John, that sounds promising ......the stock carbs on the RX are pissy little 36mm jobbies :? 40mm jobbies sound like the go.....

Old dungers ride this Sunday .....OK roger that :kuda:
".....shut the gate on this one Maxie......it's the ducks guts !!............."
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Bike: Z900

Postby greenman43 » Fri May 21, 2010 11:19 pm

Gosling1 wrote:the ZX10-engined GPz9 would be an interesting bike !! :shock: wish I could understand Japanese though......and they had a lot of other unusual tackle in that site.

I think a 530 conversion will also be mandatory ! god I hate 630 chains !! :x
8)

From where I sit, those mounting brackets are horrific, but otherwise some really nice work. I see they've also used a later-model ZX9 engine too, some real inspirational stuff happening over there :D

530 ? Not 520 ? Come on, you know lighter is better !

Cheers,
Brian
07 ZX10R track 09 ZX6R road/track 93 ZXR750 race 89 GPZ900 project
Do not walk behind me, for I may not be leading
Do not walk in front of me, for I may not be following
Do not walk alongside me, for the path may be narrow
Just piss off and leave me alone
greenman43
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: ZX6R
State: New South Wales

Postby Phil » Sat May 22, 2010 6:39 am

Gosling1 wrote:
laidback1952 wrote:....Mate my manual shows B, C & F 9s have Keihin CVKD40 and E have Keihin CVRD40. The ZX7R had Keihin CVKD38.....

cheers John, that sounds promising ......the stock carbs on the RX are pissy little 36mm jobbies :? 40mm jobbies sound like the go.....

Old dungers ride this Sunday .....OK roger that :kuda:

So, should I put the stock or jet kit fitted set aside? ;) I have 2 sets. 8)
Phil

2018 Z900RS
2017 Z125 Pro

HCC - Road Captain
Phil
Philthy
Philthy

Postby Whickle » Sat May 22, 2010 5:58 pm

:roll: My 250 will be on the road before the Z1A........

And the Z1A is already together!

Or Gos, you could just loan it to me and ill take care of it for 3 months and then give it back! :P :kuda:
Whickle
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: ZRX

Postby Gosling1 » Sat May 22, 2010 7:06 pm

greenman43 wrote:.....530 ? Not 520 ? Come on, you know lighter is better !......

:lol: yes you are dead right - I was looking for some info on sprocket kits last night......and found this site for 530 to 520 conversions !! . Only ZX9's listed, I need to do some further digging on sprocket PCD's and suchlike. It would be great to be able to run a 520 chain if possible, but even a 530 is a better bet than a bloody boat-anchor 630 mother....

Phil wrote:.....So, should I put the stock or jet kit fitted set aside? ;) I have 2 sets. 8).......

Stand by mate, I will have a look at stock jetting set-up for a ZZR1100 first :lol: - I know from the US forums that with the stocker 36mm carbs, they only run 130-140 mains, whereas mains on a ZX9 are up around 150......what size mains are in the jetted-up 9 carbs ? :shock: - thanks muchly for the offer as well, they will be going to a good home :kuda:

Whickle wrote::roll: My 250 will be on the road before the Z1A........And the Z1A is already together!.....

we'll see about that ! :twisted: I am in a bit of a bike-fixin' mood at the moment.....check the photos .....

8)
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Postby Gosling1 » Sat May 22, 2010 7:44 pm

OK here are some photos of the tear-down which commenced today. I found out some interesting things about the bike today ! :shock: :lol: will detail these down at the bottom.

Here is how the RX looked this morning - basically as it was, when collected from Corvus.

Morning smoko....

Here are a lot of pictures of...............stuff............ :lol: Some bodywork, and some bits'n'pieces.......

Engine cradle, carbies and head

Radiator, cam cover

Engine

Engine from above.

Engine bits......

Switchgear, cables, frame-mounted stuff......

Airbox, fairing sections, bellypan.

Fairing panels, OEM header pipes

Basically, I gave the whole shebang a good blast with the pressure degreaser-gun and Karcher. This got rid of most of the gunge. Then it was just a matter of going over the bike and removing all the bits and pieces that were still attached to the frame. I wanted to break it all down to the 3 major components that are going to be blasted and powder-coated - the frame, sub-frame and engine cradle. Things moved along nicely during the morning.....

Lunchtime.

Basic rolling chassis.

After lunch, it was a matter of stripping the rest of the rolling chassis bits off, in the shed. Before I did this, one of the things I noticed about the bike was the frame number........ :shock: :shock:

It may be a bit hard to read - but this bike was built in 9/85, and has a frame number of 000969. It is one of the first 1000 RX's built ! It would have been sold as a 1986 model, I was pretty happy to see that it was the first model GPz1000.

After a couple more hours in the shed after lunch, this is what I was left with............

Afternoon smoko....

Engine cradle, frame, sub-frame.

These bits have all come up pretty well now, 100% degreased and ready for blasting. The sub-frame is aluminium and very light.....the frame should come up nicely once its powdercoated......I also managed to get the wheels done, and the swingarm also - it is looking pristine !

There is nothing that cannot be cleaned with a compressor-powered degreaser gun, and a Karcher !!!! Uncle Chopper would be proud !!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tomorrow I will spend on tidying-up the wiring harness. It is about 95% good, only need to fix up a couple of connectors and plugs. Some of the smaller brackets will also get a coat of paint.

One thing that was a surprise - that front tyre is a Metzeler ME33, and looks to be in almost brand-new condition. Well, looks can be deceiving.........given that this is a 1986 bike.............the fuckin' tyre has a 1982 manufacture date !!!!! :shock: :lol:

More to come over the next few weeks......

8)
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Postby Phil » Sat May 22, 2010 8:47 pm

I have no idea what size jets are std, in the 130K I had mine I never changed them. pretty sure the jetted set have stg 3, aparently it was run in conjunction with a filter

The set of carbs are gonna cost you big time Gos, I want a (long) go on the pearl ;)
Phil

2018 Z900RS
2017 Z125 Pro

HCC - Road Captain
Phil
Philthy
Philthy

Postby Gosling1 » Sat May 22, 2010 10:54 pm

No worries mate ! :kuda: - the Pearl gets 3-month rego around Xmas every year........

Here is a jetting chart I found tonight, and this may explain some of the big :shock: discrepancies I have seen on various forums and other places, when it comes to jetting specs......

Once I make sense of OEM jetting for a 9 and a ZX10/ZZR1100, and what Stage 3 specs for a DJ kit in a 9 actually are......I should have a better idea of what will be needed when I jam a bigger head and cams into this motor.

8)
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Postby laidback » Sat May 22, 2010 11:19 pm

Here's the jet sizes from the manual...

ZX9 Jetting0001.JPG
ZX9 Jetting0001.JPG (71.8 KiB) Viewed 4012 times
Roady - ZRX1200R
Tracky - ZX9R F1 Team Jerry Atric

I've reached the age where 'happy hour' is a nap.
laidback
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZRX

Postby Gosling1 » Sun May 23, 2010 6:09 pm

thanks John, that's an excellent reference.

Did a fair bit more this afternoon, after a run with all the old dungers in the cR crew earlier in the morning.

Lots of degreasing of all the smaller bits, brackets and smaller fairing fittings. Still have heaps to go.....but managed to tidy-up the wiring harness as well, it looks a lot neater now.

Wheels going into the shop this week, just to have the tyres removed - then PC can give the wheels a nice new paint job with the same 2-pack that was used on the MFP12 wheels. It looks good and is as tough as nails. The rear shock is going to Laurie's shop for a once-over - hopefully all it will need is a new rubber boot !! :kuda:

All the disc rotors will probably need to be replaced - they have a mighty lip on the outer edge.....I haven't measured them yet, but I think the min 4.5mm thickness was reached a long time ago ! :lol:

8)
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Postby ProblemChild » Mon May 24, 2010 4:05 pm

looks like lotsa fun in da 4th to get it going mate , i have a mounted picci of one of them for ya too mate. :kuda:
dirty,mean&mighty unclean,
Im a wanted man
im slightly schizophrenic me & me & me agree
GRAVELRASH | rock on facebook or GRAVELRASH on Reverb nation
ProblemChild
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: Z1000

Postby Six Addict » Mon May 24, 2010 5:05 pm

you're i fuggin nut job gos but i love it!! :kuda:

as part of my motorbicycle edumacation, was there any retional behind separating the cradle for the main portion of the frame? :?
DUCATI HYPERMOTARD 2014
Six Addict
Pinchy
Pinchy

Bike: Ducati

Postby Gosling1 » Mon May 24, 2010 5:33 pm

cheers Mick :kuda: - where did you get a mounted pic of one of these old dungers ?? :shock:

aaaaahhhh Pinchy-san .....take this coin from my hand and you will learn much...... ;)

that engine cradle needs to be removed before the motor can be dropped out of the frame mate, that's all. Even though the engine is still a stressed member of the frame, because of the style of perimeter frame that Kawasaki used on this old girl, a bolt-on engine cradle was still required.

Did a heap of searching last night for brake discs that can suit this model - wouldn't you know it, the discs off any 83-85 ZX1100A1-A3 ( the last of the air-cooled 2-valve 1100's) are the same ! :kuda: there are a few pairs of those floating about the 4th .....

8)
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Postby Six Addict » Mon May 24, 2010 5:35 pm

Gosling1 wrote:cheers Mick :kuda: - where did you get a mounted pic of one of these old dungers ?? :shock:

aaaaahhhh Pinchy-san .....take this coin from my hand and you will learn much...... ;)

that engine cradle needs to be removed before the motor can be dropped out of the frame mate, that's all. Even though the engine is still a stressed member of the frame, because of the style of perimeter frame that Kawasaki used on this old girl, a bolt-on engine cradle was still required.

Did a heap of searching last night for brake discs that can suit this model - wouldn't you know it, the discs off any 83-85 ZX1100A1-A3 ( the last of the air-cooled 2-valve 1100's) are the same ! :kuda: there are a few pairs of those floating about the 4th .....

8)

ahh so basically it was made from spaghetti and they needed all the rbacing they could get :P
DUCATI HYPERMOTARD 2014
Six Addict
Pinchy
Pinchy

Bike: Ducati

PreviousNext

Return to Classic Kawi Discussion