Come from the shadows - the Shadowfax restoration.

All Old Skool kawasaki discussion - pre 90's

Re: Come from the shadows - the Shadowfax restoration.

Postby Glen » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:30 am

Yep that's a fine looking machine. Sensational job guys, can't wait to see it on Sunday
It's really all about standing around drinking Dave's beer.
2008 ZRX1200 Greeeeen Roadie
2016 KTM Superduke 1290 Oraaaaange
2016 Seadoo RXTX300
Too many toys.......work is getting in the way!!!!
Glen
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZRX
State: New South Wales

Postby s man » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:05 pm

I was gonna say Gos, the exhaust looked like it would drag, but I suppose its only a matter of heating & tweeking it, to get up & in a bit ???
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
s man
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: Z1000

Postby Gosling1 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:43 pm

s man wrote:.....I was gonna say Gos, the exhaust looked like it would drag, but I suppose its only a matter of heating & tweeking it, to get up & in a bit ???......

strangely enough mate - it dragged on the l/h side not the r/h side...... it was just a small chamfer on the header pipe for #1, before it goes into the collector......

More about ground clearance than anything else. The Marzocchis are only 315mm long - Kent modified the sub-frame of the bike so that shorter shocks could be used to keep the ride height standard.....but I think it is still too low. Standard length shocks are 345mm on these old girls, and I always look to use 360mm+ length shocks on my Zeds wherever possible.

The forks have been dropped about an inch through the clamps as well, so that has also hurt the ground clearance. I may even push them back down before the weekend - it will make the bike steer a bit slower but that is no problem for display or possible demo laps....

The r/h side of the exhaust is not really designed that well I reckon. Kerker use this one pipe for many models of Z/KZ 1000, and it shows. It hangs too low and could be tucked in heaps better. Down the road a bit, when we get a replica muffler built like the original 'Fax used to have fitted - we might be able to get that collector section angled a bit better so the whole lot tucks in more. As you say, its only really a bit of heat and bending in the right spot :kuda:

8)
".....shut the gate on this one Maxie......it's the ducks guts !!............."
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Bike: Z900
State: ACT

Postby s man » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:28 pm

Wow! thats a big drop in the rear, any wonder thing drag, possable future mod needed there to pick the back up I'd say?? On top of that pushing the forks up, a double wammie! Funny thing is the swingarm angle looks correct??
I ran standard lenth Konis & the forks were flush with the upper T clamp, & I still dragged the altanator cover on left handers. So you know what you need to do Gos. You just have to get it by Phil without him knowing.. lol :lol:
s man
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Postby fezzick » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:22 pm

Not likely, Jim! So, s-man, are you dragging your sorry body down to the Creek tomorrow? Its not the same without you and Coley!
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left. Phil
www.halfofmylife.com
fezzick
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby s man » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:19 pm

fezzick wrote: So, s-man, are you dragging your sorry body down to the Creek tomorrow? Its not the same without you and Coley!

Yeah mate I'll be there Sunday, I just came off an 18 hour shift & didnt get home untill 1230 pm so off to bed for me. See ya tomorrow!!
s man
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Postby fezzick » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:14 pm

Great news, mate.
www.halfofmylife.com
fezzick
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby fezzick » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:12 pm

Wow, I can't even BEGIN to tell you what an amazing weekend I have had. Everything that I could have hoped for and much more besides as the bike was debuted, displayed, dissected, driven (OK, ridden) and finally dubbed at the BSFoS. The unveiling was an emotional affair, with the bike's original builder, Kent Miklenda, on hand along with another member of the build team, Benny Evans. You could see how thrilled they were to see their creation brought back to life.

The display was amazing. The bike was constantly being looked at with three of us, me, Gos and Mick being called upon to recount the bike's history and answer questions.

Then, yesterday afternoon the bike did 6 laps of Eastern Creek with Gos in the saddle, sharing the track with the great Graeme Crosby on an immaculate Suzuki RG500 MkI.

Today, at Gos's suggestion, we entered the bike in the Show and Shine and, out of over 60 bikes and after 700 votes were counted, we won TWO trophies. Best Japanese Bike pre-1982 and Best Road Racing Bike pre-1982. To say that I was flabbergasted is putting it mildly; to say that I was speechless is closer to the mark.

Much, much more to recount which I will do when I have recovered and come down from the "high"

Finally, a HUGE, MASSIVE thank you to Gos, Mick and the rest of the KSRC crew in attendance over the weekend, for all their help and logistical excellence. I simply could not have done it without you. And a big thank you to all KSRC members who have donated parts, money and assistance or who have, as you all have done, shouted encouragement from the sidelines. I could not have completed this project without you.

Tomorrow (the 26th) is my 63rd birthday. I can't remember having a more exhilarating birthday than this, ever and I doubt I will be able to top this one in the future, thanks again.
www.halfofmylife.com
fezzick
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby h.b.bear » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:23 pm

Great to see all the hard work has paid off it's a credit to all involved,Congradulations guys yous did well :kuda: :kuda: :kuda:

p.s Happy birthday for tomorrow.enjoy. :kuda: :kuda:
h.b.bear
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: ZRX

Postby s man » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:08 pm

Paid off bigtime, the bike looked a treat & Phil took home two trophys for his trouble. Finally met Goz, what a great guy, I would have loved to have had him turn spanners for me when i was racing my Kawasaki superbike in the late 70s. ;)

Oh & happy Birthday for tomz Phil.. :kuda:
s man
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Postby dickfaber » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:23 pm

fcuk yeah, very well done!
I am a bilingual illiterate; i can't read or write in two different languages
dickfaber
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: ER6

Postby Phil » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:11 pm

That bike is out of this world now in 2012, I cant imagine how "off the planet" ot would have looked in 1981 :shock:

Was great to meet and have a chat with Kent yesterday - what a visionary that guy was - his thoughts were great to hear.

Congrats Phil, Gos and all that had a part in the restoration, a credit to you all. I think the big winner was having the board thatb told the story of the Shadowfax Engineering bike, that really told all that were not fully aware just how special this thing was.

I had to vote for it, what a winner.

Now, I'm going to the shed to put some shadowfax sticjers on the "door of fame" ;) Brilliant.

Five kudas to you all

:kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda:
Phil

2018 Z900RS
2017 Z125 Pro

HCC - Road Captain
Phil
Philthy
Philthy

Postby Phil » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:13 pm

s man wrote:Paid off bigtime, the bike looked a treat & Phil took home two trophys for his trouble. Finally met Goz, what a great guy, I would have loved to have had him turn spanners for me when i was racing my Kawasaki superbike in the late 70s. ;)

Saw your bike there to Steve, looked bloody great I must say, the green black combo is a winner

But it was parked in the HART area WTF :P
Phil

2018 Z900RS
2017 Z125 Pro

HCC - Road Captain
Phil
Philthy
Philthy

Postby dickfaber » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:33 am

Phil wrote:
s man wrote:Paid off bigtime, the bike looked a treat & Phil took home two trophys for his trouble. Finally met Goz, what a great guy, I would have loved to have had him turn spanners for me when i was racing my Kawasaki superbike in the late 70s. ;)

Saw your bike there to Steve, looked bloody great I must say, the green black combo is a winner

But it was parked in the HART area WTF :P

no, hart came over and camped nearby!

i suppose they needed some quality close in the hope some of it would rubb off!
I am a bilingual illiterate; i can't read or write in two different languages
dickfaber
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: ER6

Postby s man » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:55 am

No I got talking to the HART guys & they kindly offered a parking spot for my bike, & they loved the look of it. Oh & besides that it paied off for the parade laps, I was the first bike behind the lead bike, so we hatched a plan to have a bit of fun while we were out there. & few unseeen mono's here & there etc. All in the name of fun & safety of corse. Done a cracker between T9 & T10. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
s man
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Classic Kawi Discussion