Z650 Resto Project

All Old Skool kawasaki discussion - pre 90's

Postby MickLC » Thu May 24, 2007 8:39 pm

Gosling1 wrote:heh I just ha d a thought - this beastie still runs points eh ?? It would be a good idea to replace points and capacitor.........now they are some bits I *don't* have lying around !! :wink:

worth checking out though......dud capacitors can cause all sorts of problems ....

will arrange a visit shortly mate.........as long as you have some time over the weekend ??

8)

Fair enough, I'll look into getting a set.

Saturday is a right off, but I should be around on Sunday
'13 Z1000, '76 Z650+,'91 KLR250, '95 ZX6R Racebike
MickLC
Team Crim

Bike: Z1000
State: ACT

Postby Gosling1 » Mon May 28, 2007 10:36 pm

That 650 is sure starting to look the goods mate - I hope the jetting will be sorted out soon....

I rode that shitbox ZX1100 to work today.........MISTAKE........it ran great last night, when the air temp was cold, but this morning......uurghhhh. Farted coughed shat itself for fully 1/2 the trip to work......so back home in the trailer it went, for some R & R........Removing and Reducing...

Started to pulling it to bits tonight, within a couple of nights it will have *morphed* itself well and truly into the 4th dimension...... :lol:

I think PC has some good photos of your project bike.....and that shitter 1100...... :x

8)
".....shut the gate on this one Maxie......it's the ducks guts !!............."
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Bike: Z900

Postby mike-s » Mon May 28, 2007 11:19 pm

Christ, is it even SAFE to ask how many bikes you've got gos?
If it hurts, you aren't doing it right.
mike-s
Apprentice Post Whore :-)
Apprentice Post Whore :-)

Bike: Suzuki
State: New South Wales

Postby MickLC » Tue May 29, 2007 8:53 am

I stuffed around for a while longer after you left Gos, but got the shits and ran out of time. I had another play last night for a while and fiddled with the needles, checked the carb holder boot thingo's for leaks and tried some bigger jets again.

The needles were better where originally they were, so I put them back. I couldn't find any leaks in the boots and they are nice and soft anyway. The jets are now getting way too big and full throttle is getting worse. :?

Something else is obviously having an effect, so when I had them carbs off the last time I checked the vents for the bowls and lo and behold, the one for 3 and 4 was blocked up with some friggin wasp shit or something...it came flying out when I blew some air through the tube :twisted:

I reckon that would've had an effect on how much fuel was being delivered, especially because 1 and 2 have been getting all sooty but 3 and four haven't, so I'm going to go back to maybe the 125's which seemed the best so far, and maybe even the 117.5's and see how it goes.

It didn't help that the plug for the headlight came loose on a test run so I had the few people who could actually see me flashing their headlights at me :roll: "Yes you moron's, I know my fuggin headlight isn't on!" :evil:

Thanks again for letting me borrow the jets until I get it sorted, and I'm looking forward to seeing some of Mick's pics 8)

EDIT - Just won some points and condensors on ebay....way to pricey for points here, and condensors? Couldn't get them and they said I could bodgy some up with car ones :roll: No thanks
MickLC
Team Crim

Postby Gosling1 » Tue May 29, 2007 6:15 pm

mike-s wrote:Christ, is it even SAFE to ask how many bikes you've got gos?

:lol: I would struggle to answer that one with any degree of accuracy ! :shock:

MickC wrote:....so I'm going to go back to maybe the 125's which seemed the best so far, and maybe even the 117.5's and see how it goes.....

thats a good idea, the 117.5's should be on the money........it idles well, so that would seem to rule out any problems with the idle circuits......only other thing to check would be float heights - they may need to be set a tad higher to have more fuel available at >1/2 throttle.....

Good news on the points - its not a big drama to use car-based capacitors if you have no other option, a few guys I know used to do that back in the 80's if they couldn't get the proper bit.

Once its changed to electronic ignition, it will be one less problem to worry about.

8)
".....shut the gate on this one Maxie......it's the ducks guts !!............."
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Bike: Z900

Postby MickLC » Tue May 29, 2007 6:19 pm

Gosling1 wrote:...Once its changed to electronic ignition, it will be one less problem to worry about.

8)

Good point 8)
MickLC
Team Crim

Postby the kid » Wed May 30, 2007 10:31 am

Interesting reading Boys . What's the go with the electronic ignition . Would have thought one would be easy to come by and cheap .
I put one on the Bonne that I once owned (wish I still did :cry: ) and it made a fantastic difference and was easy to fit . http://www.classicsolutionsuk.co.uk/pro ... age=1&js=n

http://www.zpower.com.au/product_info.p ... ts_id/1333
Ummmm let me see
the kid
KSRC Addict
KSRC Addict

Bike: Yamaha
State: Victoria

Postby MickLC » Wed May 30, 2007 10:57 am

the kid wrote:Interesting reading Boys . What's the go with the electronic ignition . Would have thought one would be easy to come by and cheap .
I put one on the Bonne that I once owned (wish I still did :cry: ) and it made a fantastic difference and was easy to fit . http://www.classicsolutionsuk.co.uk/pro ... age=1&js=n

http://www.zpower.com.au/product_info.p ... ts_id/1333

Well there's cheap and then there's cheap...I'm currently leaning toward the "get the bike registered then ride it around to Gos's place and pester him until he digs out an old 750 system from the 4th dimension that we were talking about" kind of cheap. :lol:

Plan B is one of the many systems advertised on fleabay in the states like those you've linked to :wink:

.....but I have to get my jetting issues sorted first....the family are sick of me coming into the house stinking of petrol after another round of cleaning carby bits I missed first time and changing jets around. I thought I might've had it last night but the sideways rain came in and the tyres are still a bit too new and waxy....and I'd have to polish it all again :oops:
MickLC
Team Crim

Postby the kid » Wed May 30, 2007 11:34 am

Plan A . May seem a cheap option but by the time you factor in the cost of the ball of string needed to find your way out and the amount of time off work as you go missing in the 4th dimension , might not end up cheap !

Plan B . The boyer set up could be landed here for $200 and you can still experience daylight , unlike getting lost in the 4th dimension and end up looking like Tom Hanks in Castaway .

And better to remind the family that being out in the garage is much safer and they do know where you are (see above) Also smelling of petrol is better than smelling of perfume from a strange source , or any other smells from strange sources for that matter :shock:

Plan C . http://www.keihin-us.com/fcr.htm
:twisted:
Ummmm let me see
the kid
KSRC Addict
KSRC Addict

Postby MickLC » Wed May 30, 2007 11:51 am

But I've already got the ball of string (that I've named Wilson) and a healthy sense of adventure...how bad could it be :lol:
MickLC
Team Crim

Postby the kid » Wed May 30, 2007 11:57 am

Good Luck Mate :( See you at the Halls Gap trip

2014 :wink:
Ummmm let me see
the kid
KSRC Addict
KSRC Addict

Postby MickLC » Wed May 30, 2007 12:06 pm

hahaha so the question is will I come out of the 4th dimension in 7 years time:

a) at the same age I went in and still looking for the electronic ignition system,
b) 7 years older, tangled up in my ball of string, but clutching an electronic ignition system of unknown origin, or
c) as old as Gos and waxing lyrical about bikes in the good old days?
MickLC
Team Crim

Postby the kid » Wed May 30, 2007 12:41 pm

a. :lol:

Be warned , Don't risk it .

This little kid went in and couldn't touch the ground on his bike , emerged 5 minutes later like this :shock:
Attachments
Road Trip 191.jpg
Road Trip 191.jpg (61.33 KiB) Viewed 6076 times
Ummmm let me see
the kid
KSRC Addict
KSRC Addict

Postby the kid » Wed May 30, 2007 12:43 pm

Don't Do It
Attachments
Road Trip 192.jpg
Road Trip 192.jpg (85.56 KiB) Viewed 6075 times
Ummmm let me see
the kid
KSRC Addict
KSRC Addict

Postby MickLC » Wed May 30, 2007 1:04 pm

the kid wrote:Don't Do It

But hang on, the bit I'm after is just over there, behind that box of bits...if I just slide past this frame, stick my arm around those headers, and brace my leg against this engine case, I can just about reach...........
MickLC
Team Crim

PreviousNext

Return to Classic Kawi Discussion